Activity Feed Forums Vinyl Cutter Discussions General Cutter topics Cutter not cutting though all the vinyl (LIYU SC631)

• Cutter not cutting though all the vinyl (LIYU SC631)

Posted by Brook Morton on November 10, 2011 at 1:32 am

Hello, I was wondering if someone could help?

I have Liyu SC631 cutter that I’m running though Flexisign 8.6, and I’m having a lot of trouble with getting anything close to a clean cut, almost every shaped I cut is incomplete making weeding impossible and the customer service from the place I ordered it seems to be no existence.

So far I have tried the following:

Blade from 1/4mm to 1mm
    Cutting pressure from 12g to 25g
    Slowed cutting speed (100 to 400mms)
    Change the blade (both 45/60 Degree)
    WD40 the blade holder
    3 different brands of vinyl sheet and roll.

Still getting joins on every shape, making it a utterly useless vinyl eating machine!

From googing the problem, it seems these are not well know machines. so below are the specs……PLEASE HELP!

Driver: Stepper Motor Control
    Media Size: 710MM/27.95"
    Cutting Size: 630MM/24.80"
    Max Cutting Speed: 800 MM/S
    Max Pressure 800 Grams (can cut any vinyl)
    Display: LCD
    Pinch Roller: 3
    Buffer Capacity: 4 MB
    Resolution: 0.025 MM/Step
    Repeatability: 0.127 MM/0.005IN
    Interface: USB2.0/Serial

Andy Taylor replied 12 years, 6 months ago 5 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Robert Lambie

November 10, 2011 at 2:10 am

Sorry, cannot help as i run roland and graphtec machines, maybe this video will be of some help, there are several like it in the guys channel.

$this->auto_embed_video(‘http://www.youtube.com/v/s9HIIRqekyo?version=3&hl=en_US’, ‘560’, ‘340’)

• Brook Morton

November 10, 2011 at 2:14 am

Thanks Rob, thats the video I used for the set up, without any luck 🙁

Wondering if it could be a blade offset issue in flexi?…….back to google to see if I can try finding that option or a over cut option in flexi.

• Hugh Potter

November 10, 2011 at 6:56 am

Hi,

Offset possibly an issue if the cut incomplete. It depends on your blade but the cutter manual should specify. You don’t need the 60 degree blade, my summa has 30 or 40 deg I think. I use smart knives which on my machine gave a .4mm offset and I also use a .5 – 1mm over ut which ensures the blade goes past it’s start point and completes the cut line properly.

Cutting pressure, 15-25g is way too low, on a new blade my summa is on 80-85g for regular calendared vinyl, 70-80g for cast. Reflective from 140-180g. 25g wouldn’t do much more than score the surface.
    Cheers
    Hugh

• Brook Morton

November 10, 2011 at 7:53 am

Thank you Hugh,

Unfortunately the unit didn’t come with a manual, and the tec support is limited to a forum that get no replays form staff.

I set the at .4mm offset and .5mm over-cut in flexi and that has improved it hugely, and think I will get to 100% with a little tweaking on the offset.

Regards Cutting pressure, using the 15g seems to be doing the job, and 25g scores the wax-backing of the vinyl, so not sure if thats 15-25g over a higher set pressure? (as there is no manual).

Ether way, you have set me on the right path with the off-set and over-cut, and I thank you!

• Richard Martin

November 10, 2011 at 8:18 am

Just a suggestion as you seemed to have tried several things already.

Check the grit rollers (the silver bars the pinch rollers sit on) and see if there is any play in them, if you gently try to move them back and forward they shouldn’t move and at all, you can force them round but just feel for a slight play. I had a similar issue on my old chinky cutter and one of the grit rollers had about 2mm play in it.

You can also try cutting some vinyl, take a sheet no bigger than 300mm and use one side of the cutter and see how something cuts.

• Brook Morton

November 10, 2011 at 8:24 am

Thanks Richard,

Will check the play on the grips asap, makes a lot of sense a there is a notable difference using he left side of the machine over the right.

• Andy Taylor

November 25, 2011 at 11:24 pm
    quote Brook Morton:

Thank you Hugh,

Unfortunately the unit didn’t come with a manual, and the tec support is limited to a forum that get no replays form staff.

I set the at .4mm offset and .5mm over-cut in flexi and that has improved it hugely, and think I will get to 100% with a little tweaking on the offset.

Regards Cutting pressure, using the 15g seems to be doing the job, and 25g scores the wax-backing of the vinyl, so not sure if thats 15-25g over a higher set pressure? (as there is no manual).

Ether way, you have set me on the right path with the off-set and over-cut, and I thank you!

Hi Brook its interesting you say there is no support when I am regularly carrying out remote support as far away as Spain Portugal and many other destinations. I dont think I am allowed to post the support email on here so you will have to take a look on that popular selling place on the internet.

But anyway where did you get the drivers for flexisign as they are only widely available in the flexistarter version and there are some around that have been hacked and can cause major problems.

Despite that if you have your ebay ID we can see exactly when you purchased the cutter and sort it out under the RTB warranty we provide FOC for two years.

BTW the manual is on the driver disc that comes with the cutter although it leaves a lot to be desired we have been in the process of re writing manuals and doing videos .

Hope this helps.