Activity Feed Forums Vinyl Cutter Discussions Mimaki Cutters Contour Cuts & Registration Marks on Mimaki CG130 FX

• Contour Cuts & Registration Marks on Mimaki CG130 FX

Posted by Paul Hughes on December 8, 2019 at 8:41 am

I’m having a real problem contour cutting with my Mimaki CG130 FX. I’m new to this and it’s most likely operator error, but I need to figure out what I, or my Mimaki is doing wrong. For whatever reason the contour cuts are not synchronised with the registration marks. If no one can help, can anyone recommend a good service engineer for the Mimaki cutter I purchased second hand. I operate from North Wales/Chester area. Thank you, Paul

Paul Hughes replied 4 years, 4 months ago 7 Members · 17 Replies
  • 17 Replies
  • Chris Wilson

December 8, 2019 at 10:08 am

Hey Paul,

Roland user here but we have a cut adjust on our machine. Should be the same with yours, I’d YouTube it, do the test print as it could be out.

Cheap media could be another reason as it will stretch/shrink with the heat. If your printing and cutting straight away try printing some off today and then cutting tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.

Blade depth. If it’s to far out the holder it could be part of the problem.

• Paul Hughes

December 8, 2019 at 10:43 am

Chris, Thanks for your advice. I’ve tried cutting on separate days, the Drytac vinyl media is good quality. I don’t believe blade depth is an issue. For whatever reason something is getting lost in translation between Flexi Production Manager and the Mimaki Cutter. Flexi support have advised me its a Mimaki support issue and Mimaki Europe are not responding to me 3 x email for help. The contour cuts are not corresponding with the contour lines I’ve put in via Flexi. There is more than one issue and I’m floundering here. It’s probably something I’m missing but I’m at a loss to identify what it is. I really need some pointers from a Mimaki guru. Thanks all the same though.

• John Thomson

December 8, 2019 at 12:05 pm

How far out are the contour cuts?Are the contour cuts the correct size and shape or are they completely random?
    If they are correct size/shape then perhaps an offset issue? What contour registration marks are you using? SAI or Mimaki.

Having bought expensive kit you would expect more in the way of support…………you have paid a premium for it.

John

• Paul Hughes

December 8, 2019 at 3:17 pm

John, The contour cuts are correct size and not random, just offset. I can send a photo off the labels but are 3mm off the horizontal and 5mm off the vertical. I’m using Mimaki Type 1 registration marks produced by SAI Flexi. The cutter is secondhand, that’s why I’m looking to get it serviced properly so it’s one less issue to consider. Thanks Paul

• John Thomson

December 8, 2019 at 3:24 pm

check in flexisign for an offset setting…………if the cut is correct just not in the correct place the plotter is being told to do that by flexisign.

John

• Jamie Wood

December 9, 2019 at 8:42 am

Can you send a photo? Do you use Illustrator or CorelDraw? If so, it’s worth getting the Mimaki FineCut plug-in, as this will probably drive the plotter better. Do you have the manual for the plotter?

• Pete mitchell

December 9, 2019 at 11:25 am

In finecut there is an option to detect marks before pressing the Cut button. When you click this is limits the artboard to the size of the reg marks and then it knows where to plot within the marks. This is after you have told the mimaki to search for the marks with the laser.

If you don’t do this it – the plotter just starts cutting where the blade is (probably about 3-5mm out of line…)

• Paul Hughes

December 9, 2019 at 12:27 pm

I’ve relied on Flexi to send my print and cut files. I haven’t tried Finecut but I might have to. It just might be the solution.

Thanks

• Pete mitchell

December 9, 2019 at 1:53 pm

I was wondering if Flexi might have something similar… Where you have to essentially tell it that it can cut your 6 inch circle – but the reg marks tell it that the vinyl is only 6in x 6in

• Russell Huffer

December 9, 2019 at 5:26 pm

I bought a cg 75 cutter a while back, and had problems with it not cutting the vinyl properly and not cutting in the correct place.
    I solved the first problem easy, I bought a holder and blade from Hybrid, expensive but they are good, now cuts perfectly.
    The second problem it always cut in the wrong place took a while to solve and it was an offset that had been put in, from memory it was to do with the registration marks, I got the maintenance manual from Hybrid and you do a test with a pen loaded and it draws two plus marks which should be on top of each other mine where a long way out as offset was set to something silly, changed offset and all works fine now.

Kind regards

Russell.

• Paul Hughes

December 9, 2019 at 9:09 pm

Russell, the second issue, sounds very familiar. I’ll get onto Hybrid tomorrow. Thanks

• John Thomson

December 10, 2019 at 9:34 am

Try using the standard SAI registration marks to see if anything changes?
    I still think an offset setting is causing this…..
    Could be that before you got the plotter someone changed a setting.

John

• Russell Huffer

December 10, 2019 at 2:54 pm

As John above says this is exactly what had happened on mine, the offset was something like 17mm one direction and 30mm the other, took me along time to sort as not obvious but worth going through all the settings and making sure you are happy with them, as these are great cutters.

Kind regards

Russell.

• Paul Hughes

December 10, 2019 at 3:03 pm

I’ve been in contact with Hybrid, who will be sending an engineer to rectify sometime in January????? Looks like I’m gonna have to suffer in silence till then……….but it gives me time to play around with the settings as advised. Keep the advice coming and thank you all.

• John Thomson

December 10, 2019 at 3:48 pm

In Flexi production manager have a look at your Mimaki setup properties…click on the 3rd tab ( little cutter symbol),
    at the bottom select cutter options and check the before job offset setting……

Attachments:

• Simon Worrall

December 10, 2019 at 5:40 pm

Paul heres a workaround until you get it sorted:

You say you get a CONSISTENT cut 5mm horizontal and 3mm vertically offset?
    Well, after you place the registration marks in your software, unlock the layer they are in, and move them 5mm horizontal and 3mm vertical, save as a copy, and print from the copy.

Now cut from the original, and you will have tricked it into cutting in the right place.

Your welcome.

• Paul Hughes

December 11, 2019 at 3:37 pm
    quote Simon Worrall:

Paul heres a workaround until you get it sorted:

You say you get a CONSISTENT cut 5mm horizontal and 3mm vertically offset?
    Well, after you place the registration marks in your software, unlock the layer they are in, and move them 5mm horizontal and 3mm vertical, save as a copy, and print from the copy.

Now cut from the original, and you will have tricked it into cutting in the right place.

Your welcome.

Simon. I like your thinking. I need to figure that out. I’ll report back to you. Cheers