Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Mimaki Printers CJV30-160 – Just stops when printing!

• CJV30-160 – Just stops when printing!

Posted by Richard Such on January 31, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Hey,

Has anyone else had the CJV30 simply stop?

2600mm into a 3000mm banner and it just stopped printing! I ran it again and Ill be damned if it didnt stop again, similar place but not the same.

It did it before a few weeks back but I assumed it was because it was straining on the banner vinyl roll as I hadnt slackened it off, maybe that now wasnt the case!

Its just another thing to annoy me since buying this machine, I wish Id stuck with Roland!!!!!!!

The print and cut is just pathetic!

Stafford Cox replied 12 years, 3 months ago 7 Members · 18 Replies
  • 18 Replies
  • Karl Williams

January 31, 2012 at 9:27 pm

I used to have a Mutoh that did the same. It was found to be the voltage set incorrectly in the main board. Shouldn’t try and adjust it yourself though.

• Kevin Flowers

January 31, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Rich
    i would look to see if your computer is set to go into idle or anything like that it is the most common problem of printers stalling mid print

Kev

• Richard Such

February 1, 2012 at 7:59 am

Kev,

Id only just run a similar job, it doesnt seem to matter if my machine goes into idle or not?!?!?

Many times it has done and still carries on printing!! 🙁

• Stafford Cox

February 1, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Has it ever printed anything of a similar size correctly? If not, it might be a limitation of the the RIP/PC. Generally, a good way to tell if it’s printer end or host end is to see if it stops with a clean edge where it stopped or whether you can see the passes still. Does that make sense?

Let me know and we’ll see what we can do from there.

Stafford

• Richard Such

February 1, 2012 at 2:30 pm

No sharp edge, normal gradient of print passes, does that mean machine end or software/pc?

Have printed longer and also the same length, different design the same day?!?!?

Cheers for your help, Im hoping its something simple . . . never had any problems with my SP300 and all I seem to get is problems with this Mimaki

• Stafford Cox

February 1, 2012 at 3:17 pm

That says to me that it’s the printer end rather than the host end quiting and sending a ‘finished’ signal, although that’s not an exact science, just what I have noticed over the years.

Have you tried some of the simpler things like replacing the USB cable, changing the port it runs from, and maybe even try loading your RIP software onto another computer? It’s going to be a case of eliminating everything you possibly can to narrow the fault down. It’s always tricky trying to trace an intermittent fault like this as you will have to risk losing lots of media and ink to test it. Do you have any warranty left with Hybrid or a maintenance contract with anybody? Who did you buy it from, and where in the country are you based?

Stafford

• Richard Such

February 1, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Ive only had it in 2 months, based in Devon, England…

They are working on solving my other major issue with is the print and cut (or lack of it) which appears to be software based but this little ‘stop printing’ is a nice new one to try to solve…..

Couple that with the ‘cant find reg marks’ problem and you have a lovely position to be in! 👿

Roooolllaaaaannnnnnnndddddddddddddddddddd why oh why did I leave you! lol

• Martin Pearson

February 1, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Have you tried ripping the whole file before printing?? Unlikely but could be a problem with printer timing out.

You still haven’t mentioned which RIP you are using, that sort of info might give someone like Stafford a better idea what the problem could be.

• Stafford Cox

February 1, 2012 at 4:49 pm

I know you probably don’t think it now but the Mimaki machines are excellent!! And as it’s only a couple of months old, Hybrid HAVE to sort it out for you. I’m guessing that being in Devon it will be Rob who comes to fix it. There’s not much gets past him.

Like Martin says, knowing which RIP you’re using may help, but I would guess you’re running Rasterlink for printing and Finecut for cutting? It is a very capable combination (although I prefer other RIP’s personally) and I’m sure you’ll be operational soon. If not, come and find me and I’m sure we can figure it out but you must exhaust the warranty route first.

Stafford

• David Rowland

February 1, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Hello from Ex mimaki owner from Barnstaple…

Great machines, much better then Roland 😉

Anyway, sounds like page setup issue, screen saver, sleeping computer

As stafford says, the PC will be culprit in some way but we are all guessing but sounds like an easy job if it were in front of us to fix.

So how do you get it printing once it has died? do you reset printer / computer or just press "print" again?

On my tests before choosing the next printer, I looked at the JV33 which I consider to be one of the best printers out there, the CJV just has a cutter added and different roller positions.

Sounds like someone failed to help you set it up correctly or your didn’t get enough training or PC you plugged it into is full of crap and processor is choking. Should always be run on something that isn’t doing a lot.

Even our HP Latex, they insisted that the network cable was on a dedicated network running at Gigabit speeds for constant network transfer.

I might not have helped, but they are serious bits of kit compared to the Rolands

Dave

• Richard Such

February 2, 2012 at 8:29 am

Stafford,

Sorry mate, should have said right from the start we are running with Signlab 9 but Im moving over to Rasterlink and Finecut to see if this helps….

Cadlink have agreed there is a problem, software based, with the print and cut so thats something they are working on.

It makes me wonder if all my problems are Signlab based . . . hence trying out Corel and Rasterlink!?!?

The only thing that doesn’t seem software based is the ‘stopping’ of the printer from what you said about the passes/straight finish thing?

Thanks very much for your input……..

Just a little note, I cant fault the print quality, its top drawer!

• Stafford Cox

February 2, 2012 at 8:38 am

Ugh!! Signlab could well be your problem. As much as it pains me to say it, get Rasterlink in there as soon as you possibly can. I’m not a massive fan of Rasterlink (or Wastach as it is underneath the Mimaki logo) but it will do an outstanding job next to Signlab.

Let us know what the results are once you’ve run the same tests from Rasterlink, I’m sure the you’ll be even more impressed with the printer than you already are.

• Stafford Cox

February 2, 2012 at 8:40 am

Sorry, I must rephrase my last post a little. I’ve not seen Signlab try to print in a long time and I may well be pleasantly surprised if I were to see it again, but my experience of it (which was many years ago) compared to other RIPs such as Shiraz, Onyx, Rasterlink… was not fantastic. Signlab for me has always been a market leader in cutting and designing, but not as a RIP.

Good luck
    Stafford

• Richard Such

February 2, 2012 at 8:47 am

Signlab is rubbish! When I first got my SP300 if COULD NOT print 100% yellow or red, it kept trying to add black in . . . . got that fixed eventually . . . . .

The only reason Im using it is because sometimes its better the devil you know if you get my meaning but I think its time to move on!

On another note its also rubbish at design work, so slow and clunky and feels like its a thousand years old! Although the eye candy plug-in works very well on it and the contour cut is pretty decent. Does the finecut version work nicely?

Again thanks for your help, if your ever down my neck of the woods pop in for a cuppa! 😀

• Jon Marshall

February 2, 2012 at 9:31 am

Yup, get a dedicated RIP.

• Stafford Cox

February 2, 2012 at 9:43 am
    quote Richard Such:

Signlab is rubbish! When I first got my SP300 if COULD NOT print 100% yellow or red, it kept trying to add black in . . . . got that fixed eventually . . . . .

The only reason Im using it is because sometimes its better the devil you know if you get my meaning but I think its time to move on!

On another note its also rubbish at design work, so slow and clunky and feels like its a thousand years old! Although the eye candy plug-in works very well on it and the contour cut is pretty decent. Does the finecut version work nicely?

Again thanks for your help, if your ever down my neck of the woods pop in for a cuppa! 😀

All RIP’s have their own individual faults and hiccups. And the pure yellow thing is not actually a fault as such and happens on most RIP’s. A pure yellow is usually slightly darker than the yellow ink of your printer but it looks wrong. A RIP can then chose to not print anything under about 5% ink and print it effectively wrong, but percepually correct.

Finecut is excellent!! I’ve only used it as a plugin for Illustrator but I believe it’s very similar on Corel. You won’t be disappointed in that at all 😉

Thanks for the offer of the cuppa, I’m not very often in that part of the world unfortunately but thanks all the same 🙂

Stafford

• Richard Such

February 8, 2012 at 9:47 am

Right, as promised, an update!!

I have moved over to Rasterlink but have only run print jobs so far . . . oh my word the quality is a massive leap!!

The amount of ink usage, or should I say lack of ink usage, is astonishing!!

Just something as simple as a blend from cyan to white, what a difference, smooth a silk

I have done some tests of print cut and looks good so far, running a 3 metre P-L-C at the moment so fingers crossed!!

So far so good 😀

• Stafford Cox

February 8, 2012 at 11:26 am

Great news.

It’s amazing what difference and proper RIP can make, I’ve heard Rasterlink is pretty good for printing but I know that Finecut is excellent for cutting.

Stafford