Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions HP Printers Canvas printing HP designjet 5000ps bad quality images

• Canvas printing HP designjet 5000ps bad quality images

Posted by Sam Schofield on October 19, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Hi,

This is my first post on the uk sign boards, i have just bought the basics to start print on canvas and wrapping to a canvas frame, i have a HP design jet 5000ps and the quality of the image when printed is dull and blurry, iam using good images and not adjusting the size too much i have messed around with the setting hue/sat etc. but still nothing that i would hand to a paying customer…

my printer is dye based and the canvas is correct for the ink.

oh iam also lacquering the canvas after, the result is better but not good enough.

any suggestions would be great

also have i bought a good printer? its all i could afford at the time.

thanks sam

Martin Pearson replied 12 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • David Rowland

October 19, 2011 at 2:09 pm

did it come with a RIP?

• Sam Schofield

October 19, 2011 at 2:17 pm

RIP?

• Martin Pearson

October 19, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Sam, best to pop into the hello forum, introduce yourself and tell people a little about yourself. You will find you will get a much better response to questions.

Can’t help to much with the printer, sorry don’t print myself but sure someone will be able to give you a better answer.
    You may need to give a bit more detail as the problem could be down to something like the inks you are using, some inks give a much better colour and vibrancy than others depending on the manufacturer. Not always down to the ink costs.
    People will also probably ask you what RIP you are using as this will make a difference. Profiles need to be matched to the ink and media you are using, playing with ink values is something you should probably leave alone unless you understand how they work.

Also the laminate you are using can make a big difference, what are you using at the moment ?? Spray, roll on, gloss satin or matt, which manufacturer.

More detail you give people generally the better the answers. Is the machine worth it ?? Sorry don’t know and you probably should have asked before laying out the cash for it. Personally I wouldn’t buy a machine just because it was all I could afford, I would rather keep saving until I had enough for a machine that I knew would be up to the job.

• Sam Schofield

October 20, 2011 at 7:13 am

Thanks for the reply martin, i posted on the board as you said.

i will attempt to teach my self about RIPs, so i have a basic understanding first. also the printer i have is great for my day to day job, but i was asking if it is good on canvas, has anyone had any experience?
    cheers

• Martin Pearson

October 20, 2011 at 1:53 pm

What is it you are using the printer for at the moment Sam ?? How do you print the stuff that you are already doing on it ?? Just asking because if you are already using the printer then depending on what software you use then you may already have a RIP if your not printing direct from windows.