Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions General Printing Topics Canon W8400 Print Head ‘Rip-Off’

• Canon W8400 Print Head ‘Rip-Off’

Posted by Ian Holmes on July 18, 2008 at 3:34 pm

We have have a Canon W8400 printer for a couple of years now just doing the odd roll-up, poster or proof, generally just you relieve the
    pressure from our Mimaki JV3 – so it has had little use. Anyway I have
    just got error message on the machine prompting me to replace the print head although there is nothing wrong with the head as it prints the test print perfect, it just won’t let you print anything else. I have just had to pay £405 + VAT to Canon for a new one – because the ‘time-limit’ on the head is up – it just strikes me as a bit of a rip off

Ian Holmes replied 15 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Warren Beard

July 18, 2008 at 5:52 pm

I too have a W8400, I am now worried 😕 How long did the head last? or should I say how long was it until you were forced to change it 😮 I also only use mine a small amount and don’t know how long it would take me to recover that cost 👿

• Rodney Gold

July 18, 2008 at 9:28 pm

When the tech guy replaced the head , surely he had a means of resetting the counter or timer – or is it built in a chip in the head?
    At any rate , there must be some way of using the old head by resetting something……….
    I think it’s a dreadful rip off to be forced to replace a perfectly serviceable part.

• Ian Holmes

July 19, 2008 at 9:09 am

Basically the only good thing is there is no need for a engineer for this as it’s as simple as changing an ink cartridge an a desktop printer – you go to the menu on the machine select ‘change print head’ the carriage moves part way out and you take out the old one and pop in the new one.

I tried to ‘trick’ it by putting back in the old one – this didn’t work

so I phoned technical at canon who stated there’s no way round it I would have to buy a new head at £405 + VAT

I searched ebay – non available, I search google I could have saved £25 here though I thought I may as well go back to canon as if I have any trouble I would have some type of guarantee. Still think I been had though as if the head was allowed to run till it breaks or even if it broke when the time limit kicked in I would have felt better.

Also if they have to build this for reasons I’m not aware of – WHY is the replacement head so expensive ???