Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Vinyl can i use oracal 751c cast on vehicles?

• can i use oracal 751c cast on vehicles?

Posted by LeeMorris on December 14, 2006 at 9:08 pm

Hi All
    I need to order some vinyl and was looking at Oracal 751c cast.
    Is this what i should use vehicles? And if so could i use this vinyl for others signs aswell.
    Cheers
    Lee

Lorraine Clinch replied 17 years, 5 months ago 12 Members · 28 Replies
  • 28 Replies
  • Richard Urquhart

December 14, 2006 at 9:20 pm

i have not used this vinyl but it is very good stuff after talking to people that have used it

i use mac tac 9800 which i use for 90% of my work
    the oracal would be a great choice its up to you not sure on the price
    rich

• LeeMorris

December 14, 2006 at 9:34 pm

Hi Rich
    So do you use the 9800 for vehicles, banners, windows, etc
    Being that i’m a newbie i don’t want be buying loads of different vinyls and colours that i will prob never use.
    Lee

• Richard Urquhart

December 14, 2006 at 9:39 pm

yes mate 9800 is top vinyl
    i would only buy a cheaper viny for a one off job

• Lynn Normington

December 14, 2006 at 9:42 pm

Lee you can’t use 9800 on banners you do have to use banner vinyl, wether you choose mac 9800 or oracle, avery or any other you can use for any application vans cars boards windows, unless of course you want etch on a window, which again like banner vinyl is differant.

Lynn

• Richard Urquhart

December 14, 2006 at 9:50 pm

lynn i know its not made for banners but i have used this on banners for years and not had any problems

the correct vinyl in banner material but i have seen banners i made 3 years ago still looking ok

• Lynn Normington

December 14, 2006 at 9:57 pm

yes Rich we have used normal vinyl on banners as well, if we didn’t have the right colour as far as I know they were fine, if they are using them often putting up and taking down, banner vinyl is usually longer lasting as it’s more forgiving to the miss treatment customers give them.

Lynn

• Marcella Ross

December 14, 2006 at 10:17 pm

I would only use banner vinyl on a banner.

Lee, get some vinyl samples from different suppliers. Some may give you a metre or two for you to try out, see what suits you and your cutter best. Oracal 751 is good vinyl, it applies well but I personally find that Metamark vinyl weeds much better. I use Metamark for most of my applications. If you’re applying to flat surfaces 751 cast isn’t necessary, no need to spend as much.
    As Lynn mentioned there’s different vinyls for different jobs. But get samples and prices and try them out to see what’s right for you! 😀

Marcella

• Richard Urquhart

December 14, 2006 at 10:23 pm

ok you win girls i lose banner vinyl it is

😀 😀 😀 😀 😀

ok while were on the subject do you keep most colours in banner vinyl or order when its needed for a job ??

• Marcella Ross

December 14, 2006 at 10:26 pm

I usually have a small stock of banner vinyl, red, blue, white, yellow etc and order extra as and when I need it.

• Nicola McIntosh

December 14, 2006 at 10:28 pm
    quote Richard Urquhart:

do you keep most colours in banner vinyl or order when its needed for a job ??

i do house colours and gold & silver….just incase i get a rush banner to be done same day 😀

nik

• Richard Urquhart

December 14, 2006 at 10:37 pm

i have never used banner vinyl but am i right in thinking its matt ish to the finish ??
    i think may be if i did lots of banners then may be i would stock it but i hate having loads of different vinyls about in different colours i like to keep a good range of colours in stock so to have banner vinyl , cheap vinyl , 4/5 year etc etc would be a pain to house
    i do few tee shirts and have one rack just for tee shirt film its so hard telling a customer who wants a tee shirt done they can have any of those colours they always want one from the other racks !!! they dont understand the difference cant say i have used mac tac 9800 on tee shirts !!!!!! bet it make a right mess
    rich

• Alan Wharton

December 14, 2006 at 10:58 pm

I use both metamark and 751c, i find the 751c is excellent for just about everything but it is very thin and once on its on! metamark feels like cardboard compared to 751c, and when i get 751c at nearly half the price of metamark its 751c for me. on my graphtec i think my force is set at about 15 for 751 but metark its way up to 23 to cut through it so much thinker vinyl.

• Marcella Ross

December 14, 2006 at 11:00 pm

ooohhh…… I’m cheaper for Metamark Alan ……! I only use the 4 series for flat panel fitting though. I don’t use the 7 series at all, that’s when I go to Oracal or Mactac.

• LeeMorris

December 14, 2006 at 11:05 pm

So is the 751 a bit over the top for general use ?
    Is there a lower vinyl that could still be used for vehicles.
    Cheers
    Lee

• Martin Pearson

December 14, 2006 at 11:14 pm

Lee before you go spending a lot of money on vinyl I would do what has been suggested above, contact the different suppliers and ask for some samples you can cut, weed and apply. Most of the suppliers will give you a metre or two and it will give you a better idea of what feels best for yourself. Different people find different vinyls easier to apply so if you are just starting out find the one that is best for you.
    Oracle 751 is a very good vinyl in my opinion but can you always aford the extra expence of a cast vinyl when it is not needed? For flat panel work, glass etc oracle 651 would be just as good and cheaper making you more affordable compared to other sign companys.
    Like Niky says just keep the most common colours in stock and buy other colours as and when you need them. When you are designing try to limit yourself to the colours you stock to help keep outlay down.

• Alan Wharton

December 14, 2006 at 11:14 pm

rrr iv been using the 7 series, nice vinyl tho and rips back if laid wrong which sometimes you carnt do with 751.
    There is also 651 lee but its not cast so deep recesess(carnt spell 🙄 ) may be a problem.

• LeeMorris

December 14, 2006 at 11:17 pm

So 651 is cheaper and ok for general signs and vehicles , would it be ok for small recesses

• Nicola McIntosh

December 14, 2006 at 11:23 pm
    quote leemorris:

would it be ok for small recesses

wouldnt use it for recesses lee…keep to 751 you wont go wrong 😀

welcome back martin…long time not see 😉

nik

• Marcella Ross

December 14, 2006 at 11:26 pm

yeah 651 is cheaper. Fine for flat areas and gentle recesses. 😀

But get your samples in! Try them out on your plotter like I said and see what you prefer to work with. There’s LOADS of vinyls out there. Metamark, Oracal, Mactac, Avery, Ritrama, 3M and more 😉

• Martin Pearson

December 14, 2006 at 11:31 pm

Lee as Nicola says stay away from 651 or similar vinyls for any kind of recess work and you won’t go far wrong. People will tell you they have used it and it is OK but the truth is that the suppliers won’t give you any back-up if you have problems as it is not reccommended for this sort of work and is it really worth it when your reputation is at stake? Look about and you will probably see lots of vans that have vinyl that is cracking or pulling away from recesses and it is normally down to someone doing the job on the cheap with the wrong vinyl.

Nicola, thanks, nice to be back.

• David Rogers

December 14, 2006 at 11:53 pm
    quote Marcella:

yeah 651 is cheaper. Fine for flat areas and gentle recesses. 😀

But get your samples in! Try them out on your plotter like I said and see what you prefer to work with. There’s LOADS of vinyls out there. Metamark, Oracal, Mactac, Avery, Ritrama, 3M and more 😉

Agreed, 651 is cheaper…but not that good in my opinion. Just didn’t feel right.

I go through mainly Ritrama 400 – it’s a 5-7yr with a good range of colours & cuts & weeds great. Only slight downside is it’s a water based adhesive – so more suitable for dry application…or prompt wet ones!!
    Other than that it’s MacTac 9800 if I need a specific shade or it’s a particularily ‘curvy’ vehicle / has to last a LONG time (trucks).

Whatever you end up getting – use at LEAST a 5yr vinyl for most jobs.
    3-4yr is a step up from temporary grade and not great for vehicles. And besides – a quality 5/7yr is still pretty cheap (compared to a 10/12yr cast).

The stuff I’ve liked & stocked so far is Mac 9800, Oracal 751, Ritrama 400, JAC (polymeric) and the Victory ‘MultiFix’.

I hated the rubbish I was given once as ‘replacements’ – didn’t cut, didn’t weed, didn’t stick… so there are some really nasty…albeit cheap vinyls out there.

Then you’ll have to decide which application tape you like!! Paper or Clear. Now THAT’S a biggie! Don’t buy cheapo stuff…or you’ll be left with a log of unusable junk…ALWAYS ask for a sample – say a 100mm roll, just about everybody will send you one to try it out.

At the moment I’m using RiTape (Ritrama) Hi-Tack paper – performs really well…and good value too – gone through a fair few logs of it – no problems in adhesion, peeling, laying or tearing.

Dave

• Robert Lambie

December 15, 2006 at 12:41 am

99% of makes of vinyl have their good range and their budget range…
    most differ in price but depending on the amount you buy on a monthly basis a good price can be negotiated.

yes vinyls like oracal 651 are good for general vehicles sign work and gradual recesses.
    however, i only stock 751 for vehicles and general signage. even a health a safety sign onto correx and placed indoors, still gets 751 vinyl. ive been stung in the past stocking different grades…

• Peter Munday

December 15, 2006 at 12:59 am

nothing else matters 😮 It’s 751for me 🙄

• LeeMorris

December 15, 2006 at 9:33 am

Thanks for all the help!

I think its going to be 751 for me then, its not that expensive through uksg
    Then i know i can use it for all my work, will still get some etch and banner stuff.
    I would rather miss out on a couple of jobs for being to expensive than get called back to one thats peeling.
    Lee

• Mike Robson

December 15, 2006 at 9:41 am

hmm, interesting. Our van is only done in 2 colours. One is 651 series and the other 751. no problems with either yet, but have designed it to minimise any recesses.
    Most of the vinyls we use are budget range, and you do notice a big difference when working with the different ranges. Price is the major factor for us, since most of our work is only up for 3 or 4 days and indoors, it doesn’t really matter about durability.

• Lynn Normington

December 15, 2006 at 9:55 am

we tend to use the 751 for all applications the extra pence you save on the cheaper vinyl is usually not worth it, you have to keep two lots of vinyl so extra storage space,and usually differant cutting and weeding properties.
    banner vinyl we just keep a few metres of stock colours red,blue,black, white and green.

Lynn

• LeeMorris

December 15, 2006 at 10:07 am

Hi Lynn
    just looking on the europoint on here and the 751 says premium plus is this not the same as 751 cast.
    Lee

• Lorraine Clinch

December 15, 2006 at 10:15 am

Lee, don’t be too quick to stock something you haven’t tried, do as Marcella has said, get some samples in of different makes.
    You may love the 751c, but equally you may hate it. I know i do! I have some 751c, when the customer dictates the colour, but I really dont like working with it, just personal choice.
    Oh, did I say, get some samples in.