Activity Feed Forums Vinyl Cutter Discussions Roland Cutters Can anyone tell me how to do a test cut on a PNC1000?

• Can anyone tell me how to do a test cut on a PNC1000?

Posted by Bob Jones on December 14, 2006 at 10:17 pm

Hi everyone
    Can anyone tell me how to do a test cut on the above cutter, I have just bought one which I cant get to work I am using corel draw12 and have downloaded a 30 day trial of signtools3. I was advised that I should try a test cut but it did’nt come with a user manual, I was also told that it may require a serial cable but it came with an old fashioned printer cable. I don’t know anything about this cutter so I’m stuck, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Bob

Brian Little replied 17 years, 3 months ago 6 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Peter Shaw

December 18, 2006 at 1:44 pm

The PNC1000 was great machine in its day, unfortunately its day was 374 years ago.

If you go through the menus on the cutter, you should find a test cut sequence which will prove the cutter as standalone.

You will need to connect with the parallel (your old fashioned printer cable) as the throughput rate on the serial connection will be too slow.

I don’t know signtools but presume it will have a setup section in which you will find the PNC1000. Ensure it is set to parallel port which may be labelled as LPT1.

Peter

• Tim Painter

December 18, 2006 at 2:34 pm

Have to disagree that it’s day was 374 years ago.

Maybe tracking isn’t excellent, and maybe a bit slow cutting. But it’s engineering was solid – I can’t see many of the current breed of cutters being imported having anywhere near the life span.

Don’t be disheartened BOB.

I started with a second hand or prob forth hand or more PNC 960. She’s still running thus I felt then need to defend these old girls……….

No Not you Marcella!!!…lol

Tim.

• David Rogers

December 18, 2006 at 2:34 pm

I have a PNC-1000 manual as a ‘ZIPped’ PDF if that’s any use to you.

**** – Moved to file sharing – ****

Search under PNC-1000 manual.

Dave

• Brian Little

December 18, 2006 at 8:04 pm

hmm i bought one second hand …its sat here for a couple of months ….so so slow ….still cant figure out how to get it to cut long ways ….hmmmm ………but what i am good at is trapping my f-18 on the carrier deck in a night storm on my flight sim ……does that count 😀 😀

• Ian Stewart-Koster

February 19, 2007 at 3:28 am

for the testplot, you have to hold the top console button pressed down, BEFORE switching the plotter on, from memory. No need to connect it to a PC at all. Maybe you press & hold both buttons, then turn it on. Atually I think now it’s the uparrow you press, then switch it on.

I have a manual for the PNC 1000 as a 5 meg zipped file that I’ve been sending to anyone who wanted one, for ages- best wishes, with it!

To get the plot rotated- with the pinchwheels UP, press the function button till <size> is displayed, then press the downarrow till <free> is displayed. Press the function button again & lower the pinchwheels.

For plotting from corel with XP, it has to be Free Y, but for plotting from Win98, you need it to read <expand>.

Hope that helps!

P.S. edited to add that the edits won’t work- inside the <> symbols above were expand X and free Y, but the X & Y were omitted in every edit…

• Brian Little

February 19, 2007 at 9:56 am

thanks ian …appreciated ,its sat on the workbench for 4 months now ….i could fire an f-16 off the runnway easier than i can understand these instructions in the book ive got ….ill have a look tonight ..cheers mate

• Marcella Ross

February 19, 2007 at 10:15 am
    quote Tim Painter:

She’s still running thus I felt then need to defend these old girls……….

No Not you Marcella!!!…lol

Tim.

Hey…… I’ve just seen this comment. Tim ………… you’re on shaky ground 😉

:lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

• Ian Stewart-Koster

February 19, 2007 at 11:10 am

Brian, the Expand X setting has the X axis running the length of the vinyl roll, with Y across the width where the blade travels.
    The Free Y setting reverses them, so Y is the full length of the vinyl roll.
    Which you use depends on the software you are using, the operating system, and the printer driver.
    When you have the system figures out it works nicely. Until then it can be a pain!

• Brian Little

February 19, 2007 at 11:22 am

cheers ian ill try it out tonight .im still using my trusty pnc 960 which seems a lot easier to set up compared with this .Ii just bought it as a back up but it would be good to get it up and running