Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Graphic Design Help can anyone help with this logo please?

• can anyone help with this logo please?

Posted by Steve Sandy on March 12, 2007 at 10:06 am

Good Morning all,
    Im a newbie to the game, self taught for a year now. Wish I had found you guys sooner could have gone to bed earlier many times. Played around with logos have done about 10 shop signs, karate schools and 8 vans, I mainly do estate agent boards which doesnt really get the design juices flowing much.
    I am having real trouble with my own logo though. My company is called The Sign Shed (I work from my shed..Get it clever ay) The trouble is incorporating the (The) into it. It always end up as a pyramid design.
    I have read many times on here that it is easier to design for someone else and you find it harder picking one for yourself. I have a 700mm vinyl cutter and plenty of colours.

Thankyou in advance to anyone who comes up with an idea for me.

Oh am still trying to get a picture up but cleared my computer of loads of programmes to speed it up a bit and cant get the resolution down enough yet. Will keep trying so you can see who your talking to.

Steve Sandy
    The Sign Shed

Martin Pearson replied 17 years, 1 month ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Warren Beard

March 12, 2007 at 10:17 am

Quick 2 min idea to help the juices flow

Warren

Attachments:

• Steve Sandy

March 12, 2007 at 10:35 am

Morning Warren,
    Crikey that was a quick reply. How are you mate? I thought of something like this before. I saw the graphics you put on your wifes car If Im right and it stood out really well with the silver background. That is what I would like to do on my logo, More of a fancy text with but this design would be hard to play with like that. I am registered as The Sign Shed but do you think I should drop the (THE) Then I could do more punch through with different shapes behind maybe. I have notice since I registered that not many names begin with (THE) I can see why. Should have asked you guys first. Thats the great thing about this board, Past experience, Trial and error.
    Well my day will be made up of cutting 100 300mm circles out of foamex for an estate agent I do signs for so any design with circles in can you guys leave till later maybe.
    Thanks the guy who will have eyes like Mr.Magoo (wheres that rabbit)

Have a great day Warren, Oh you have a great looking kid. I am the father of 3 boys 9, 6, and 4 the sooner they learn to week vinyl the better I say.

Steve

• Warren Beard

March 12, 2007 at 10:47 am

Hi Mate

Designing your own logo is a nightmare, it took me weeks and 100’s of different options until I had to settle for one that I liked or I would still be designing it now. Try get a design that will get recognised after a while, so no matter what colour you use it is the design they recognise and not the colours, if you saw the MacDonald’s "M" in blue you would still recognise it as MacDonald’s wouldn’t you? Well that’s my theory anyway.

I did another quick one but you need to just keep playing around with different ideas, put them all next to each other, take a few steps back from the screen and view it from a distance and see which one stands out the most and is clear and easy to read, remember you will want people to be able to read it quickly and know what you do when they drive past or only get a quick look.

Good luck

Warren

Attachments:

• Dave Martin

March 30, 2007 at 9:35 pm

upped the wrong one 😀 and cant seem to edit the post any way here is the one with the correct name 😉

Attachments:

• Martin Pearson

March 30, 2007 at 9:41 pm

Hi, Don’t think I am being rude and I do understand that designing for yourself can be difficult but you will get far more help and advice from members if you at least have a go yourself first and then ask members to comment or make changes rather than just ask people to design something for you from scratch.
    Warren is a good example as he posted his ideas and then the post developed as people offered help and advice, what he ended up with was very different from what he started with but at least he made an effort to start with.