Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Mimaki Printers Can anyone help with Mutoh VJ1324 Grainy Prints

• Can anyone help with Mutoh VJ1324 Grainy Prints

Posted by tecmdc on September 17, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Hi
    Can anyone with a VJ1324 or perhaps 1624 confirm printing output quality using a block of colour?

The problem I have is more so on lighter colour ranges and it looks very grainy, it is still noticeable on darker colours other than pure black and I have managed to improve slightly with profile settings in RIP but I don’t think it is acceptable.

I have a new VJ1324 and tried printing some basic stickers on MD5 from a vector illustration. Artwork is in CMYK and saved as PDF before printing via RIP. I have tried using higher resolutions and adjusting colour output. PF is set-up correctly for media and head alignment OK, head is also set in low position.

I have spoken with supplier and tried several things but they are saying that they get the same output on their printers! I was really shocked to think that this is standard!

I have attached a photo for reference.

Many Thanks

Attachments:

Stafford Cox replied 10 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Colin Crabb

September 17, 2013 at 4:31 pm

From the picture it looks like the ink is ‘pooling’ (form pools of ink).

This can be adjusted on the machine – Have you set the drop position, media feed compensation and heater temp ?

Have you increased the amount of ink being laid in the RIP?

Take a look at those areas see if it helps.

Kind regards

Colin

• tecmdc

September 17, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Thanks for the advice Colin.
    Media feed comp and heater temps have all been done and I have also tried different levels of ink from the RIP, it certainly sounds and looks like pooling.

When you say "Drop Position" do you mean the Head Height? if so this is set low.

Many Thanks
    Mark

• Colin Crabb

September 17, 2013 at 4:56 pm

I’m not to familiar with this model, but there might be a setting in the menu for drop position (not head height) or it might be just on the newer Mimaki’s.

Try increasing heater temp and slow down the print speed – go to more passes, see if this helps.

• Stafford Cox

September 18, 2013 at 10:17 am

It does look like a head height thing to me. The calibrations could be to blame but I think you would see a mist of colour to the left right of the image if it were that. Have you tried printing at different resolutions? That might prove the calibrations….