Activity Feed Forums Vinyl Cutter Discussions Roland Cutters can anyone give me help with a PC600 CUT & PRINT please?

• can anyone give me help with a PC600 CUT & PRINT please?

Posted by TheDecalMan on January 22, 2006 at 12:01 am

Hi Again Everybody !

I have just purchased a PC600 & Need advice or a Large copy of the "Complete Idiots Guide to Print & Cut with a PC600"

I have Been Using a Epson 7000 pro with Laminator & then cutting on a Graphtec CE3000 but found that i was spending to much time moving the Vinyl from 1 machine to another machine and so on.

So Decided to get a all in Solution.

I Purchased it from Richard who advertised it in the For Sale Section on UK signboards – He was most helpful & Wish to thank Him for his Efforts.

Down to my Question

Does any body have a Website Bookmark , Manual or Advice on how to Print & Cut with it as the Roland Manuals don’t seem to cover the issue. and i don’t have a Clue on how to go about print & cut Using the PC600.

Software i use is as follows

ARTCUT 2005 & ARTCUT 2002
    Corel Draw 7 & 12
    Adobe Illustrator CS2

Running Windows XP Home

Any Help would be most useful

THANKS IN ADVANCE

idgni replied 18 years, 3 months ago 5 Members · 17 Replies
  • 17 Replies
  • Chris Wool

January 22, 2006 at 12:38 pm

hi your pc 600 is designed to run from coral or ilist by the driver supplied which makes the machine work just like a desk top printer.

with coral what you see on the screen it will print but the cut path has to be defined and will be a hairline vector path as i run a 60 with a different driver i dont know your exact command – also i think that some 600 were supplied with a rip sorry haven’t used the one for the 600 but should be easy enough if like my roland soljet – look under contour cut in the manual

chris

• TheDecalMan

January 22, 2006 at 1:34 pm

Hi Chris – Thanks for taking time to Reply !

I will load up my Old Corel Draw 7 onto the PC in my work room – and then load the PC600 drivers disk & see if any new Plug-in appears in Corel Draw File Menu.

I Presume that the following is what i need to do as a Work Flow !

(1) open Blank Page in corel (Define Page Size)

(2) Import Raster Images

(3) Draw hair line (In Defined Color) around Edges of Raster

(4) Set Base Point

(5) tell PC600 what Color is the Hairline Cut Route

(6) Start Job

This is a Guess of the Route i will need ????

Thanks Chris !

• Gordon Forbes

January 22, 2006 at 2:11 pm

Go to the Roland website in the uS and register There you will find instructions for all your questions.
    I don’t know about Ill CS 2 but shouldn’t be any different for cutting. You should have a Roland Colur Choice disk for postscrip printing.
    The line needs to be a hairline and named CONTOUR CUT i think from memory.
    I have instructions but cant post on here.

Goop

• Gordon Forbes

January 22, 2006 at 2:17 pm

This is how to make a contour cut in adobe Illu 7

Adobe Illustrator 7
    1 Copy a file ‘ColorCAMM PRO.ai’, located in the ‘SpotColor Library\ColorCAMM PRO\Illustrator’ folder of
    the Roland COLORCHOICE installation CD to the Swatch Libraries folder of Illustrator.
    2 Start Illustrator.
    3 Open the file that you want to contour cut, if it’s not already open.
    4 Select “ColorCAMM PRO” in the Windows\Swatch Libraries menu to open the library.
    All Spot and CutContour colors appear in the library.
    5 To make a cutting line, select CutContour as the color for the paths that you would like to cut. To make an object
    that will be printed using a spot color, just fill it using a Spot Color from the library.
    You can change the color of the contour line or spot color by changing the Swatch Options. Remember, the color
    mode should always be Spot Color.
    6 Print the file as you normally would.
    4 Select User Defined Inks in the Type list.
    5 Select CutContour to apply it to the selected objects.

Hope this helps

Goop

• Chris Wool

January 22, 2006 at 2:20 pm
    quote :

load the PC600 drivers disk & see if any new Plug-in appears in Corel Draw File Menu.

not as i do it .

it will be in the printer lists just like a desk top

try forbis route

chris

• TheDecalMan

January 22, 2006 at 2:29 pm

Thanks for that Forbie – I will try the US site and register – I have been to the UK DG Site but found no listing for the PC600 in the support Section only the PC60.

I will Print off your Guide and go give it try tomorrow Morning !

I Normally work in Corel – Because of a Problem that happens in Ai – When i go to send print jobs to our Epson 7000 Pro i always get the message “Unable to Print Illustration” – I have been in contact with Adobe and they Blame the Epson Printer & Epson Blame Adobe software – you Know the Score “It’s Not our Problem” what i normally end up doing is exporting to a .bmp and then printing from corel Photopaint. Adobe said that it Could be an issue with too many spot colors – But it happens on Single color Docs so that does not seem to stand up.

Any Way i will try it tomorrow and Tell you the Results !

Thanks GOOP !

• TheDecalMan

January 22, 2006 at 2:33 pm

Thanks Chris

I will try your Method too – Being more a Corel Person it would be Best to try this Route.

With the Corel method will i need to assign (Reg Marks) like i had to using the epson & Graphtec ?

I am thinking not because the material will not be removed from the Machine between cutting & Printing ?

Thanks Chris

Andrew

• Andrew McCreadie

January 22, 2006 at 3:20 pm

Hi Andrew

Good to hear from you again, was just wondering what type of laminator you got, sorry I cant help with your original question.

Thanks
    Andy

• TheDecalMan

January 22, 2006 at 3:41 pm

Hi Andy – I use a 24″ Cold Roll Laminator – I got it new from Ebay cost £650 – But it has no Make on it as its a made in China. It Works a Treat all Powered with Twin digital Speed controlled Rollers, Auto take up Motor, Variable Pressure & Foot Controller – The Nearest machine i could find to the spec of this China Built one was from Graphitype but that was £1000 for 27″ but seeing as i Print at 24″ it made no sense.

I use Clear Vinyl as my Laminate and never had one Problem from my Customers.

All the Best !

• TheDecalMan

January 23, 2006 at 5:28 pm

Hi All 😛

Thanks to Chris & Forbie !

Done it – I tried with Corel First and set the Custom Spot Color to “CutContour” – Imported a Raster and then Placed a Hairline Box around it – It Worked A1.

One thing – I Set a Base point at 1″ from Right at 1″ Down – The Printed Vinyl Output Ended up “Central and Spooled off 24” of Vinyl ?????? – That Seems like a Lot of Wastage. ?????

Also it Took the Printer 6 Min’s to make 1 50mm X 30mm Sticker – I Presume this is because i used a Raster Graphic and it had to Use Full (CMYK) ???

Thanks again 🙂

• Chris Wool

January 23, 2006 at 6:07 pm

good.

always look at the print preview before you commit to vinyl as it was told to print in the middle of the drivers page size. you may want to play with these settings.

match the coral page and the driver page to the same put the decal in the top lefthand corner.

chris

• TheDecalMan

January 23, 2006 at 9:16 pm

Thanks for that Chris – I will Check Page Properties and see if these match the Colourchoice Properties.

From What i have seen – It’s one of those set your work up and go find something else to do while it plods on Printing type Machines 🙂

I Have 100 Promotional Sticker packs to do for a Company – so will give it a good test !

I Will Also Put a Post it Note on the Monitor “DO PREVIEW FIRST & SAVE MONEY” 😛

Thanks for all your Help Chris and Forbie ! Much Appreciated –

• Gordon Forbes

January 24, 2006 at 3:11 am

I’m sure you prewiew in postscript (RCC) and adjust there,. You can actually print in CMY and looks better in a lot of instances.

Goop

• TheDecalMan

January 29, 2006 at 12:53 am

Just a Progress report Really

I have done some production work with the PC-600 using “Chris’s” Method which i am now quite happy with. Thanks for your advice on this Chris and forbie.

but as i clear one hurdle some one goes and sticks another pair of hurdles in front.

(1) – When i examine the print close up i see that where the head prints one band then comes back to print the next band, it is about 1 pixel off. Or to put it another way A Vertical Box printed on vinyl ends up with a slight Stepping Effect on the Edge where the printer comes back for the next pass. ??????????

(2) – I find the colors are lacking Brightness EG – Bright Red is Printed as a Brownish Red. Bright Blue Looks a Dull Blue. I have purchased a head cleaning kit from victory & Replaced the Cleaning Pad. I think it may be something to do with ??? ICC PROFILES ??? –

International Car Carriers ??????
    Intermittent Circuit Checker ?????
    Interpopulated Crystal Cleaner ?????

Yer there is too much abbreviations these days – 🙂

Look forward to your Replies or things to add to my ICC Abbreviations list

Thanks again in Advance ! or TAIA

• Chris Wool

January 29, 2006 at 10:49 am

my guess is that you are using non roland ribbons and you have photo colour on but you are using colour choice which i can not comment on as Ive never used it.
    there is a user print pass distance adjustment but this should be set to default 0 .
    try spot colour but in cmyk – in my opinion roland ribbons Handel the joins of the passes better also the material does affect this . mactac 9800 and image perfect 5700 are my pref – mirror silver is oracle.
    as with any printer temp – clean and humidity are factors. common sense is best.

chris

• TheDecalMan

January 29, 2006 at 4:41 pm

Hi Chris –

You are Quite Correct Chris in your Guess – I was using “Refills” and a Refill Jig, that was present with the PC600 when it was purchased, But i have did Order some Genuine Rolland Carts from Victory along with the PC600 Cleaning Kit. I have Not Tried the New Roland Carts yet as i was just getting used to the machines Operation. Hope fully these Genuine carts will improve the Color’s Vibrancy.

I have have been working in 4 Process colors (C,M,Y,K) and have not tried spot colors yet – Will do a bit of reading upon how to go about this & give it a try.

I believe i will need to know how to use spot colors soon because i need to produce a Couple of small Signatures in white on Clear Vinyl – These are to be small so cutting in Vinyl at such thin dimensions is not practical.

I Presume the Roland PC600 / PC60 Guide has this information ?

I must make a point of Printing the manual out as i find PDF Docs a Pain – You have to keep switching between apps just to read a line then go back do as the manual says then switch back to the PDF — Etc Etc…..

Thanks for your Advice again Chris !

• idgni

February 4, 2006 at 12:01 pm

i had a pc60 and found if you make a hair line vector i.e make line thickness 0.00000001mm and make it a strange spot colour that isn’t in the actual print ie 100% magenta. on your print options under printer setup select magenta as being the cut colour.
    hey presto u have it cut
    :lol1: