Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Mimaki Printers Can any one recommend an engineer for a Mimaki jv3 160sp

• Stafford Cox

July 9, 2013 at 5:00 pm

What’s wrong with your printer Colin? I might be able to help you without a visit….

Stafford

• Colin Rogers

July 9, 2013 at 6:54 pm

I have changed the black head & slider pc board + 1x damper( it split & put ink down on the print head terminals) I got all the heads firing on the test print, then sent down a test job witch printed ok but you could see the heads needed to be aligned then it started to drop colours & the megenta head started firing and giving a solid red line if I do a couple of test prints it comes up with a head connection error

• Stafford Cox

July 10, 2013 at 7:13 am

If you’re getting head 07 error than it is one of 3 things. Head, cable or slider. It should also give you a pattern such as ‘—–*–‘ which would indicate which head is at fault. Best thing to do is to move the head to another position on the slider (you need to do it in pairs so left and right of a head stay the same) and see if you can move the fault. I hope that makes sense?

I’ve got to go and see a customer for a few ours but will check this post when I get in. Alternatively, get in touch.

Stafford

• Colin Rogers

July 10, 2013 at 9:59 am

I have fitted a new set of cables & have tried swapping cables around, right hand side of megenta head head error 7 moved with the cable, taken every thing out again & cleaned again to make sure good connection on head cables, in test print still firing megenta in long line across slide line Colin

• Stafford Cox

July 10, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Nice to speak to you today Colin, I’m sure we’ll get you back up and running in no time 😉

• Colin Rogers

October 4, 2013 at 12:32 pm

I would like to say a very big thank you to Stafford Cox for all the help in fixing my JV 3. Great bloke knows his stuff, he thought me a lot about setting up the printer.
    thank you Stafford Colin rogers

• Stafford Cox

October 4, 2013 at 1:00 pm

You’re welcome Colin, was nice speaking to you. I’m glad you’re up and running again and thank you for your kind words 😀

Stafford

• Shilo Dake

October 28, 2013 at 2:49 am

Hey Stafford, first off let me say how much of a big fan I am of yours, I have been reading your many posts on JV3 troubleshooting for many months now and you are always a huge help. I too am having this "Error 7" head connection problem on my JV3SP and was wondering what the solution turned out to be for Colin’s printer? I replaced the slider board but am still having this problem……any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks Stafford!

• Stafford Cox

October 28, 2013 at 5:12 am

Morning Shilo, thanks for your kind words 🙂

First of all apologies for the reply being a little vague bit I’m using my phone on my way to the airport for a 3 week holiday!!

Generally, error 7 is based around an electrical fault on a print head, although it will often be something else causing the problem. First thing to look for is where abouts the error is. There will be a pattern on the control panel along the ones of —-x–. This will indicate a problem with head position 5 (right side cyan). First thing to do is swap the two flex cables from to one of the colours either side of it and see if the fault moves. If it does, you know you’ve got a fault with that head or cable. If it temains in the same place, you have a fault with the supply to the head, which would mean main board as you’ve already done the slider. I’ll warn you know that I have seen a head take out slider AND main board before so be careful with your diagnosis and make notes of what you’ve tried. Don’t be interrupted by phone calls or colleagues, and ALWAYS DISCHARFE THE PRINTER CORRECTLY BEFORE DISCONNECTING THE FLEX CABLES!!

Best of luck, I’ll try and check back in every couple of days.

Stafford

• Shilo Dake

October 28, 2013 at 5:40 am

Thanks for the quick reply Stafford, I hope you have fun on the vacation, you deserve it! The error is showing -*—— which as you know is the right side of black. I swapped the cables with the magenta and the problem moved, I then removed the black cables and hooked up several old heads (4 total) that a friend gave me with the same error result. I even changed out the slider board with one I know works like I said before. The only thing I haven’t replaced are the actual cables themselves. Now I will admit that I did all of this before I knew the proper discharge procedure (the printer was off but not discharged), do you think I could have fried all 4 of the old heads also and that’s why I am getting no change in the error result or could this all be caused by a bad cable? Just seems strange all 4 heads would have the same result…..frustrating to say the least!

• Stafford Cox

October 28, 2013 at 11:57 am

Well I guess the next thing to try would be to swap a pair of cables from another head. If the fault stays with the position, you could be looking at a main board fault. Try using a multimeter (DVM, volt meter) and measure the details of each transistor on the main board and that should give you an idea of what’s going on. Each channel has 2 transistors on the main board (the ones bolted to the 2 heat sinks) and should read the same continuity across all 3 pins. MacMedia do good circuit level repairs in the US, they should be able to repair damaged main boards.

Make double sure you discharge the machine properly from now on, that will definitely cause head/slider/ main board faults.

Stafford

• Shilo Dake

October 28, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Will do Stafford, thanks again for all of the advice, I’ll keep you posted. Have fun on vacation!

• Shilo Dake

November 3, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Swapped the pair of cables with the yellow and the problem stayed on the black (right side of the head). I then took one of the 4 dead heads I told you about and plugged it in, it worked for one test print and then did the error again but this time the error was on the left side if the black. I tried the rest of the dead heads and they all did the same error, some were on the right side of the head and some were on the left side of the head. Another one made it to a test print before coming to the error again. Any clue?? Extremely frustrated at this point…..

• Stafford Cox

November 19, 2013 at 4:42 pm

That’s really strange!! Do you think it could be a break in one of the flex cables between the main and slider board? It’s not a common fault but I have seen it happen. It could be making and breaking connection….???

• Shilo Dake

November 19, 2013 at 5:22 pm

I am just as confused as you are, to be honest I am brand new to wide format printing and bought this jv3-160sp used off of a sign shop where it was five years old and stored away but was working the last time they used it. After a lot of cleaning I was able to get it printing for a month but was still trying to fix small issues (banding, ect.). I had an ink cartridge completely discharge (wicking) and the waste line was unfortunately clogged so it folded the pump station but did not get to the motherboard for what I can tell, a couple weeks after that it started with this error. Not sure if that had anything to do with it because it was working for a while after the flood. I have not touched the cables from the motherboard to the slider bored so I’m not sure how it could break but like I said I new to this whole industry.

• Stafford Cox

November 19, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Where in the US are you? I’m hoping to visit my brother in PA around Xmas time, I don’t suppose you’re near there are you?

• Shilo Dake

November 19, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Wow, that would have been great Stafford! Unfortunately I am in central Indiana though 🙁