Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Mimaki Printers Buying 2nd User JV3 160sp Any help appreciated?

• Buying 2nd User JV3 160sp Any help appreciated?

Posted by Andy Perry on July 9, 2012 at 2:04 am

Hi All,

I am picking up a 2nd user Mimaki JV3 160sp and was hoping for some pointers before I collect, any suggestions would be much appreciated… Seller said it is in great condition and can be seen working.

I am collecting it from the Islands up North!!! Need to bring it back to Glasgow. So transportation tips? it’s going in the back of my VW Transporter LWB. Should I put it into a holiday mode or remove inks, heads or anything else? Will it be ok with the ever winding roads along the A82?

I think I have an ok knowledge of printers, but nothing competes with the collective knowledge of UKSB!! so thanks in advance…

Andy

Andy Perry replied 11 years, 10 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Unknown Member

July 9, 2012 at 7:35 am

Get yourself a Luton Box van with a tail-lift.

We have shifted a few of these printers around the country and find the Luton box van to be the best self driven transport for this type of machine.

• Stafford Cox

July 10, 2012 at 6:30 am

Agreed. A luton van with a tail lift makes it so much easier and they can be hired for under £100 a day (or they can down here in Kent). When I move these types of printers, I always remove the cartridges (but leave the ink it the tubes) and always lock the heads in place. There should be a yellow head clamp with the machine, if the seller doesn’t have it, see if it’s been taped to the bottom of the printer or stand. I would also recommend ratchet strapping it to the middle of the van so the weight is even while you’re heading round the twisties.

Oh, and REMOVE THE WASTE TANK!! Hire companies charge a lot of money to replace all the boards in the back of a luton van when it’s been painted in waste ink colour 😳

Get in touch if you’ve got any problems or questions.

Stafford

• Andy Perry

July 10, 2012 at 10:22 am

Thanks guys for the replies… I Luton would be good and not too expensive, but we have a few bodies that can lift the printer into the transporter. I know we have to keep it level. Got a few ratchet straps for the job. Plenty of anchor points in the VW and the length has a bit to spare.

I think the main question would be what should I look out for apart from the obvious nozzle and head checks. Is there anything else major that goes wrong with the JV3?

The guy said he hasn’t had it on since Easter, so wondering about dried ink in nozzle etc.

Anyone know of any maintenance or freelance tech guys that service central Scotland?

• David Rowland

July 10, 2012 at 10:33 am

dont leave it idle for too long.. get it powered asap

• Andy Perry

July 10, 2012 at 11:52 pm

Cheers Dave….

What about regular maintenance? Anyone have a good routine they swear by for the same machine?

• Stafford Cox

July 11, 2012 at 11:07 am

The manual states that their is a DAILY maintenance routine, although in the real world, that is usually once a week. Just make sure that the heads and caps are cleaned as often as possible really, particularly when it’s not in use.

If you don’t get a manual and/or cleaning instructions supplied with the printer, you can download it from here:

Daily Maintenance:
    http://eng.mimaki.co.jp/download/files/ … 3_V1.2.pdf

Operation Manual:
    http://eng.mimaki.co.jp/download/files/ … 0_V1.5.pdf

Or let me know and I can send it to you.

Stafford

• Andy Perry

July 11, 2012 at 11:41 am

Thanks Stafford, the cleaning routine will be very helpful.

I had downloaded the full operation manual and am working my way through it. I have been delayed in picking up the printer as the guy that is selling it had a family bereavement. Hopefully have it here soon and get cracking on with it.

Andy