• British Standards

    Posted by Deleted User on August 11, 2004 at 3:09 pm

    Hi does anyone have a copy of:

    BS 559:1998 Specification for design, construction and installation of signs

    and BS5499 (relating to fire signage)


    John Childs replied 19 years, 9 months ago 7 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • ttj designs

    August 11, 2004 at 4:35 pm

    Hi there,

    havent got a copy of the standard, and I know that they can cost a bit of wedge…. but if you visit the main library in your area it should hold a copy of the whole british standards specifications.

    i know that they hold aerospace series documents so sure they would have that.


  • signworxs

    August 11, 2004 at 8:19 pm

    BSI Sales and Customer Services, 389 Chiswick High Road, Chiswick, London W4 4AL
    Tel: 0181 996 7000, Fax: 0181 996 7001

    Details of the British Standards Institute, Addie was right though the 559 is £44and 5499 is £80 for a non members of BSI. Just a note that the 5499 was updated in 2002 so thats the issue you want if you are borrowing one. There is a specific 5499/5 relating to fire escape routing and signage (2002) and that is £114.

    NO I dont work for BSI :lol1:

    Hope this helps


  • Deleted User

    Deleted User
    August 11, 2004 at 10:04 pm

    many thanks think a visit to the library is in order!

  • John Childs

    August 31, 2004 at 10:44 am

    Anybody know if there is a British Standard for vehicle safety markings?

    I’ve searched their site but can’t find one. 🙁

  • John Harding

    August 31, 2004 at 12:29 pm

    John Does this one help?
    bit of a mixed thread here!

  • John Childs

    August 31, 2004 at 1:41 pm

    Not really, but that’s probably my fault for not being clear enough. Thanks for trying anyway.

    What I’m after is covering the complete rear of a “Highway Support and Maintenance Vehicle”. Basically the whole of the rear of the van is to be covered in chevrons and what I need to know is material spec, size and angle of striping and anything else that might be relevant.

  • John Harding

    August 31, 2004 at 2:56 pm

    try Big G on these boards I think he knows most of that stuff if you get an answer let me know as its something bound to crop up for me later

  • Kevin Flowers

    August 31, 2004 at 3:50 pm

    try this link http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/projec … /index.htm its for the spec on escort vehicles but if you ring them i am sure they will have the details. sent info i required next day with no hazzle


  • John Childs

    August 31, 2004 at 9:30 pm


    I was hoping BigG would show up, but if he doesn’t I’ll give him a ring in the morning.


    Thanks for that site. Somebody faxed me extracts of that document this afternoon and I wondered where it originated. I’ve searched their site but can’t find anything on ordinary maintenance vehicles. I’ve emailed them and will follow it up with a phone call tomorrow.

  • John Childs

    September 2, 2004 at 10:01 am

    Well, I have to give up on this one.

    The Highways Agency say that they have no specification – Try the DfT.

    The Department for Transport say they have no laid down specification.

    I’m just going to knock up a drawing with my suggestion and submit it to my client. If they OK it, then that’s good enough for me.


  • Carrie Brown

    September 2, 2004 at 2:07 pm

    John, we are the same as you we could not get any info from anywhere????? The only help we managed to get was the advice from Big G on here. But to try and find something factual in writing up to date is impossible?? So we were the same as you, did the design to the spec as client requested and they agreed it and that was that!

    Carrie 😀

  • John Childs

    September 2, 2004 at 3:31 pm

    Hi Carrie.

    Yes, I called BigG this morning but he didn’t know much about motorway maintenance, although for emergency vehicles he is a mine of information.

Log in to reply.