Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions General Sign Topics Best choice for a small 600mm vinyl cutter, advice please?

• Best choice for a small 600mm vinyl cutter, advice please?

Posted by Daniel Evans on January 5, 2017 at 11:36 am

Hey guys

Going to purchase a new vinyl cutter as I would like a smaller one.

I currently have a CE5000 and although it works every time, I find that the graphics never line up 100% if doing overlays (even using the same colour), this could be due to the free cutting master software.

I like the illustrator plugin that lets me cut directly from illustrator on my mac but I can’t help thinking there is a better machine out there.

I hear so much about the GS-24’s and also the Summa d60’s, has anyone used these and what’s your favourite?

I’m also looking to do small detail work as my partner has started doing small crafts and I was going to buy her a small Camero 3 but I’m thinking why bother when I can just do it in the background and do multiple designs and take them home with me.

Daniel Evans replied 7 years, 5 months ago 5 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • David Rogers

January 5, 2017 at 2:38 pm

Always felt the CE5000 wasn’t Graphtec’s finest effort. Seemed more like a rebagded, OK quality import and not their usual high quality fayre.

Would always go Summa if given an option regardless of size. Pick up a well cared for used model cheap enough (compared to a budget model).

Dave

• Daniel Evans

January 5, 2017 at 2:40 pm

What do you think about the d60r? Does it work on mac and does it have a illustrator plugin?

• Benjamin Hall

January 5, 2017 at 6:27 pm

I work a roland Camm-1 servo on my imac, but I do use parralel’s.

I would say the Roland is quieter then the previous cutters I have used, and also very simple, only downside would be you can’t get the full width, it will read the vinyl at 580-590 mm.

I haven’t done much reading registration marks with it and then cutting.

• Daniel Evans

January 6, 2017 at 9:06 am

Thanks Ben

Looking for more of a 600mm machine.

Going to look at the Summa d60r, GS-24 and the CE6000 and look for myself.

Thanks guys

• Dan Osterbery

January 6, 2017 at 9:31 am

We bought ce 6000 last year and very happy with it. Have cut 10m long boat stripes with it and it was great over that length. Cm3 works with illustrator well.

• Daniel Evans

January 6, 2017 at 9:33 am

Thanks Dan

Do you do many overlays with it? i.e if you cut the same pattern twice, would they match up perfectly?

• Dan Osterbery

January 6, 2017 at 9:35 am

I use a + sign if I’m cutting layers of vinyl in different colours to make sure they line up if that’s what you mean and yes it works fine

• Daniel Evans

January 6, 2017 at 9:38 am

Hi Dan

Thanks

• Dan Osterbery

January 6, 2017 at 9:39 am

Also if you are buying a graphtec ask Harry the blade man for a price. I don’t know how he does it!

• Chris Windebank

January 6, 2017 at 12:50 pm

I called Harry at Christmas, only just got off the phone this morning!!!

Great fella and knows his stuff

• Dan Osterbery

January 6, 2017 at 12:59 pm

[FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY][FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY] he does love a chat! But his prices are very keen and his knowledge very deep!

• Chris Windebank

January 6, 2017 at 1:10 pm

and you get a bucket full of blades thrown in too

• Daniel Evans

January 6, 2017 at 1:12 pm

Haha, spoke to him this morning and although he is more expensive you get 10 blades which works out better in the long run, think I’ll be sticking to graphtec and going with the ce6000