Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers Avoiding vinyl wastage VP300

• Avoiding vinyl wastage VP300

Posted by Paul.Gadsdon on December 29, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Hi, its me again

One thing I have noticed is that my printer seems to waste a huge amount of vinyl. Firstly it only starts printing about 10cm from the edge of the vinyl and then when it trims the sheet this also wastes about 10cm.

I have just printed one row of 8cm stickers, making sure that there was no margins on the eps file and set the printer to zero copy spacing. When it printed it used up 28cm of vinyl for one row of 8cm stickers and the stickers are at least 2cm apart and each edge has at least 8cm of wastage as well.

photo attached suffice to say that I think this sheet should hold 15 stickers or maybe 12. If I am printing on silver vinyl at 10 quid a meter this would be serious wastage

Attachments:

David Rogers replied 10 years, 4 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Gareth.Lewis

December 29, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Crikey, there are sooo many ways of addressing these issues.

• Kevin Flowers

December 29, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Hi
    you need to play and learn the software, it is just a case of using the settings within the software. It requires the lead and tail 10cm to aid cutting, if it cuts very close to the edge it can have cutting issues which you discover if you try doing away with it normally it will be on a print that you really need. Waste should be taken into account when pricing. It may sound like i don’t want to help but the software is very easy to learn it would probably take longer to type how to do it that actually going through the software to discover it yourself. Load up some cheap vinyl and play it will sink in a lot quicker

Kev

• Paul.Gadsdon

December 29, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Hi

I do appreciate your reply

I am a graphic designer and know AI like the back of my hand so I know its not at this end. If you say that the cutter needs a lead and tail of 10cm then this would be my problem. I have no tile spacing and have "0mm" set in my custom settings in the printer control section rather than the standard 40mm

There is still at least 4cm between copies both horizontally and vertically

Cheers

• Kevin Flowers

December 29, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Paul
    are you not running this through versaworks?

Kev

• Paul.Gadsdon

December 29, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Yes I am, but I have sussed it, tiling settings had the larger tile for each sticker, once adjusted its great now

Many thanks folks for all your help

• David Rogers

December 29, 2013 at 7:20 pm

There will be printer pre-feed settings somewhere that control the amount of waste material.

Probably a sub menu on the printer.

Dave