Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Vehicle Wrapping Avery 900 super cast, part wrap advice?

• Avery 900 super cast, part wrap advice?

Posted by Richard Urquhart on August 8, 2013 at 9:17 am

Hi all fitting some of this tomorrow for a first time, doing a side on a small van, any tips or things I need to be aware of. Avery say use app tape but I would like to use just of the roll? thanks Rich

Richard Urquhart replied 10 years, 8 months ago 4 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • Robert Lambie

August 8, 2013 at 11:05 am

do you mean for wrapping or ?

• Jon Marshall

August 8, 2013 at 11:32 am

Its difficult to fit neat but most pro wrappers will tell you its the best vinyl there is. You certainly wont get any come backs

• Richard Urquhart

August 8, 2013 at 11:59 am

Yes wrapping a side, just used an off cut and it stick like sh.. it a blanket, fun time tomorrow me thinks???? any tips

• Vic Adair

August 8, 2013 at 12:01 pm

If its for long term lettering and graphics then its a great film, not many better and feeds into reccess well. But if its for wrapping then i would go for the Avery Supreme ‘bubble free’, which is a joy to use.

The 900 should be taped up as its very thin and stretchy and on a warm day its like gewinggum to work with and has a high initial tack when applying. can also be a pain in the arse like most vinyl to weed in the heat.

But with any avery film you cant go wrong.

Vic

• Vic Adair

August 8, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Tip: tape it and apply in the morning when its cooler

• Richard Urquhart

August 8, 2013 at 12:06 pm

yes morning will help, wish now I could have used the b/free this stuff just grabs.

• Vic Adair

August 8, 2013 at 12:08 pm

lol it does!! next time go for the Avery Supreme its amazing stuff

• Richard Urquhart

August 9, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Well what a day, Vic thanks for your suggestion on app tape, I used a clear plastic tape which worked well, have to say this is not an easy film to fit, but its great to work with and even with no heat it’s very easy to get it to deep channels then heat and then post heat. The initial grab is the hard part to over come and trust me you don’t get a second chance, fitted on complete side of a long wheel base van in 6 hours 2 colour with text applied after wrapping, total trust in film. But next time I could save 2 hour using Avery supreme wrapping film, but the colour was only in the 900 range. I started in the morning and found it nicer to fit, by the afternoon and warming up you really had to get it right, if you needed to pull back from the job , well you couldn’t wasted one 1230 piece so all in all I really tested my fitting ability and leant a lot, end result very good and film looks like a painted finish, will sleep well knowing this will NOT be popping out any deep areas. 😀

• Robert Lambie

August 9, 2013 at 9:14 pm

sorry for slow reply mate… been up to my eyes in it lately….
    yes yes yes i know, that’s probably be up to your knees. :lol1:

the cast will probably do the trick as you say rich. but time lost on install etc really adds up. the main thing is its on and your happy.

what you need to remember is "removal" casts can do the job, but coming to removal the problems start. its a nightmare to remove and even if you can, it leaves a ton of adhesive in most cases.

some casts are more aggressive than others and dependant on the paint job can lift lacquer or even paint.

not trying to throw doubt in your mind in anyway mate, just wanting you and others to be aware of the downsides. 😕

anyway, well done for getting through it rich and please keep us updated on progress mate.

• Richard Urquhart

August 10, 2013 at 8:43 am

Rob this was for accident damaged vehicle, your 100% right about removal the guys in the paint shop took a day to remove the vinyl where they needed to blend colour ! You would need weeks to strip the complete van !

• Vic Adair

August 10, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Well done Richard, glad you got the job finished. The greatest feeling to these jobs is the end when you stand back and look at it all complete.

Now that you’ve tried the 900 you can see the difference when you use the Avery Supreme.

If the painters had put the van in the paint oven for 15- 20 mins to warm up then it may have been easier to come off.

• Vic Adair

August 10, 2013 at 5:28 pm

oh and another wee tip: ….if that van every comes back to get stripped, turn it down as applying vinyl on to a freshly paint vehicle, especially using a cast like 900 will be worse than taking it off a factory finish.

• Richard Urquhart

August 10, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Thanks Vic, the removal was so hard even with the van being in the booth, and the hardest was the front wing , not sure why it would be harder just because the wings are plastic !