Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Vinyl Avery 700 Vinyl lifting on vehicles, advice please?

• Avery 700 Vinyl lifting on vehicles, advice please?

Posted by Peter Cox on January 9, 2018 at 10:13 am

After over 30 years in the business I have had a problem with cut vinyl lifting on two cars.

The vinyl was Avery 700 and paintwork was preped with IPA the same as I have done for years, anyway after a couple of weeks customers call up to complain about letters peeling, the only thing that I could think about is have they used a polymer wax on the paintwork.

After some head scratching I deducted that both vehicles were Fords supplied by the same dealership, has anyone else had this problem and are my assumptions that it could be the wax used by dealer that could be the problem.

Gordon Smithard replied 6 years, 4 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Chris Windebank

January 9, 2018 at 5:39 pm

Never had the problem Peter but know a few that did.
    I purchased a co polymer remover from my valeting supplies company but thankfully never had to use it

• Richard Urquhart

January 9, 2018 at 6:22 pm

Could you find out if they had been super guarded or a similar paint protection system? Normally we can tell when there is going to be an adhesion problem after it’s cleaned with IPA as it still feels very slippy when lining up the graphics [emoji85]

• Robert Lambie

January 10, 2018 at 12:02 am

Over and above it being some form of coating on the vehicle creating the fail.

Do you know the vehicle surface temperature when the application was made? In cold conditions like we experience just now country wide, the surface can easily be well below the application temp spec, in many cases, below 0 when just brought in out the cold to a workshop. a cold metal body will repel adhesion and prevent proper adhesion. if the vehicles is not brought up to recommended temp… sun light, brought indoors etc. the vinyl can easily lose the minimal bond it has.

throw in on top, many installers use a "felt edge" squeegee these days, which prevents surface friction heat needed during cool/cold applications. just adding to the limited initial tack any sort of vinyl graphic should get.

• Gordon Smithard

January 13, 2018 at 3:30 pm

I had similar with a car years ago, turned out the owner was polishing the car afterwards and was going a bit mad and some of the corners lifted off the lettering.