Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Vinyl Avery 500 White Release Layer change

• Avery 500 White Release Layer change

Posted by Neil Fox on April 3, 2014 at 9:02 pm

I have just got a couple of rolls of Avery 500 white and the release layer is white as per all other colours. It used to be blue and has been for the last 20 years.

I have checked with Robert Horne and other suppliers and they say that this is the way Avery will be producing it from now on.

The blue layer was introduced to allow easier weeding back in the day.

Has anyone else found this situation?

Have any of you noticed this and how do you find weeding it?

Neil

NeilFox replied 10 years, 1 month ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Chris Wool

April 3, 2014 at 9:30 pm

Vote with you orders elsewhere that’s the only way they take note
    I have still not forgiven avery from many years ago

• Neil Fox

April 3, 2014 at 9:56 pm

Chris I thought of that however, I have used Avery since 2003 and I have all my files with the Avery colour within the file so that I always get the correct colour. If I went to Oracal, Metamark or 3M, the colours are slightly different.

Also in the transition, would double layer vinyl cause problems, shrinkage, wrinkling when Avery is mixed with another manufacturer?

• Chris Wool

April 3, 2014 at 11:08 pm

Appreciate the problem similar with me and if I wanted to move away from image perfect for my general stock.

Mixing makes of similar types I have not had trouble with but would only do it on flat surfaces

• Jamie Wood

April 4, 2014 at 7:42 am

I thought that blue liner was used purely as a visual thing, to make it easier to see where you have weeded. Metamark and 3M still do white with a contrast liner, so may
    be worth trying these.

• NeilFox

April 4, 2014 at 9:10 am

Jamie,

Thanks for that. It seem that Avery are doing this as a cost saving. Either it is a start of all of them doing it or if enough Avery users revold, they may rethink.

If I move from Avery, then colours on the fleets I do may well be a shade out. Not something I really want to do and I think Avery are aware of the colour loyalty and exploit it as brand loyaly.

Neil