Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Neon, LED, Lighting Attaching a sign tray 100mm from wall

• Attaching a sign tray 100mm from wall

Posted by Warren Beard on November 11, 2009 at 12:18 pm

Hi All

I have to put up a composite sign tray 1680mm x 900mm x 50mm return on to the front of a house but it has to be 100mm from the brickwork to clear the window moldings.

My best thought so far is post type legs in each corner but will need to be made from steel with a good base plate to hold it up.

any other bright ideas to do this?

cheers

Warren

Warren Beard replied 14 years, 6 months ago 13 Members · 25 Replies
  • 25 Replies
  • Tim Painter

November 11, 2009 at 12:38 pm

Window mouldings?

Warren can you explain a bit more.

Tim.

• Warren Beard

November 11, 2009 at 12:44 pm

here it is.

• Andy Gorman

November 11, 2009 at 12:46 pm

Make yourself some frames from ali box section 900 x 150 and fit them vertically? The wind’s going to get behind there though. Also, you say house – I don’t know about up your way but down here you’re only allowed about 1/3rd of a square metre on a house.

Having seen the picture, change that to horizontal!

• Warren Beard

November 11, 2009 at 1:08 pm

thanks Andy but there is not that much space without running it in front of the window, it basically needs to be on "legs" as the current old one is, I would have done a similar fixing but have never seen those before and thing they might have been specially made.

Do you think a square tube post 100mm long (+50mm into return) attached to the fixings rails would work? I would get a base plate welded on to the base to fix 4 masonry bolts on each of the 4 posts?

Does that make sense?

cheers

Warren

• Kevin Flowers

November 11, 2009 at 1:38 pm

Warren
    this how i would do it, but can fabricate metal & powder coat myself now i’m working from the new unit. I would suggest you find a local steel worker. Hope this helps

Kev

Slight problem can’t post pic here will post in off topic hopefully mod will put both posts together

• Gwaredd Steele

November 11, 2009 at 1:41 pm

can you not re-use the existing brackets?

• Warren Beard

November 11, 2009 at 4:37 pm

Thanks Kev, that makes sense and will work and also will be one piece which will make it easier to fit, just have to find somebody who can make it for me.

I thought of re-using the existing brackets but would be more hassle and would have to remove his sign while I make the new one and I’m not sure they will be happy about that.

Thanks All

cheers

Warren

• Ian Johnston

November 11, 2009 at 5:05 pm
    quote Warren Beard:

Hi All

I have to put up a composite sign tray 1680mm x 900mm x 50mm return on to the front of a house but it has to be 100mm from the brickwork to clear the window moldings.

My best thought so far is post type legs in each corner but will need to be made from steel with a good base plate to hold it up.

cheers

Warren

why only do a 50mm return and not 150mm, scribe it around the Brickwork, It will look 1000% better more professional, and will get you a lot more work,
    Make it Bespoke

Ian

• Alistair Richards

November 11, 2009 at 5:16 pm

Can you not just take the letters off the old sign, and VHB the new one to the front??

• Warren Beard

November 11, 2009 at 5:57 pm
    quote Ian Johnston:

quote Warren Beard:

Hi All

cheers

Warren

why only do a 50mm return and not 150mm, scribe it around the Brickwork, It will look 1000% better more professional, and will get you a lot more work,
    Make it Bespoke

Ian

I think that’s beyond my knowledge level at the moment and beyond the budget I think.

Kev’s bracket seems easiest and have drawn one up that will do just the trick, just hope it doesn’t blow the budget 🙄

cheers

warren

• Warren Beard

November 11, 2009 at 5:58 pm
    quote Alistair Richards:

Can you not just take the letters off the old sign, and VHB the new one to the front??

The old sign is bigger than the new sign otherwise that would have been a good option.

cheers

Warren

• Alistair Richards

November 11, 2009 at 6:02 pm

Get the grinder out!!! :lol1: :lol1:

• Ian Johnston

November 11, 2009 at 6:49 pm
    quote Warren Beard:

I think that’s beyond my knowledge level at the moment and beyond the budget I think.

Kev’s bracket seems easiest and have drawn one up that will do just the trick, just hope it doesn’t blow the budget 🙄

cheers

warren

It will be cheaper warren,
    a 100-150mm return will probably cost about £20 extra so long as it will come out of 1 sheet.
    Buy your tray in , 2 strips of ally angle top and bottom,
    piece of cardboard and scissors to make templates of brickwork,
    Felt-tip pen and a copping saw, it would take 30minutes max to scribe on site, and you will spend a lot longer looking for brackets,
    the look will be 1000 times better, and it will guarantee that the job is better than your competiors.

Ian

• Warren Beard

November 11, 2009 at 6:50 pm
    quote Alistair Richards:

Get the grinder out!!! :lol1: :lol1:

don’t joke because I know they will expect me to remove all old fixings (and even old ones hidden behind this sign, yay me, woohoo.

don’t you just love a bit of spark making on a cold day :lol1:

• Warren Beard

November 11, 2009 at 6:55 pm
    quote Ian Johnston:

quote Warren Beard:

cheers

warren

a 100-150mm return will probably cost about £20 extra so long as it will come out of 1 sheet.
    Felt-tip pen and a copping saw, it would take 30minutes max to scribe on site, and you will spend a lot longer looking for brackets,
    the look will be 1000 times better, and it will guarantee that the job is better than your competiors.

Ian

Hi Ian

Yes when I actually thought about it made sense it would work out less due to no elaborate bracket, the main problem being exactly where the tray will fit and might make it difficult to fit the ally angles on, the new tray size is from the top of the top wooden window frame section to the bottom of the lower wooden window frame section so not sure where or how I would fit the ally angles.

Jobs like this always stress me out as there are many ways to do them, some better than others some too expanse to do and some too cheap to do and you always want to make sure you have thought of every conceivable problem that might arise and have everything pre-prepared before leaving for site, I like to spend as little time on site as possible.

Thanks anyway.

cheers

warren

• David Rowland

November 11, 2009 at 6:57 pm

just stick a 2’x2′ wooden frame up then boost the top part of the frame up until you get nearer 100mm, you could do it all the way around.

Hang your dibond tray on it, screw in sides, should be straight forward.

• Phill Fenton

November 11, 2009 at 9:49 pm

My first thoughts were you could attach a couple of horizontal 4" wooden battens between each sill and fit a 10mm Plywood backing to these to act as your flat surface to fit the sign to.

But having read Ians suggestion, I reckon that is the best solution.

• James Martin

November 12, 2009 at 12:08 am

Ian’s Idea does sound the dogs, got me looking up copping and fret saws on wiki.

I think Harry Cleary posted something about how to scribe in an earlier post although Ian’s method sounds more appropriate to this situation.

• Tim Painter

November 12, 2009 at 7:30 am

Profile gauge may help to contour.
    Wouldn’t be big enough to do in one go but could help break down and measure in sections.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/28558/Han … -Gauge-10#

• Ian Johnston

November 12, 2009 at 8:38 am
    quote Warren Beard:

the look will be 1000 times better, and it will guarantee that the job is better than your competitors.

Ian

Hi Ian

Yes when I actually thought about it made sense it would work out less due to no elaborate bracket, the main problem being exactly where the tray will fit and might make it difficult to fit the ally angles on, the new tray size is from the top of the top wooden window frame section to the bottom of the lower wooden window frame section so not sure where or how I would fit the ally angles.

Post a picture of the windows you are talking about

Jobs like this always stress me out as there are many ways to do them, some better than others some too expanse to do and some too cheap to do and you always want to make sure you have thought of every conceivable problem that might arise and have everything pre-prepared before leaving for site, I like to spend as little time on site as possible.

The best time you will spend will be site time, that is where you can check measurements,etc. you cant do that at the office. There is only one way to do a job, and that is the right way. I read a wee quote yesterday that i thought was very appropriate to signmaking> " It’s hard to make a turd look good!!, BUT you can roll it in Glitter!!"

[/quote]

Ian

• Dave Harrison

November 12, 2009 at 9:40 am

Hi Warren. .

Might be worth having a word with Blackburn metals, I’m sure they do 6 inch angle (150mm give or take ). .. if not find someone with a guillotine and folder and get them to make you angle to your spec !

I really like Ians idea of the profiled / fitted sides.. that would really finish things off !

all the best !

• Richard Urquhart

November 12, 2009 at 9:45 am

Ashby’s will make angle to any size, we just installed a sign where I needed 260mm x 180mm angle and so cheap.
    Rich

• Alistair Richards

November 12, 2009 at 12:57 pm

Another option would be to resin threaded bar into the wall, then attach ally angle to this with a nut either side, it can then be adjusted to whatever position away from the wall that you want, if you see what I mean. 😕

• KeithdWhitson

November 12, 2009 at 6:21 pm

seems alot of hassle. no seen the pic but could you not just fabricate a new sign tray to fit over the existing one?

• Warren Beard

November 12, 2009 at 7:36 pm

Thanks for the responses guys, I’ll let you know how it goes.

cheers

Warren