Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions General Printing Topics Artanium or Lyson for Epson 3000

• Artanium or Lyson for Epson 3000

Posted by Beej Curtis on April 15, 2004 at 12:18 pm

Hi,

Some of you may know that I run a website at http://www.subartclub.com selling downloadable, hi-res images for customisation and Dye Sub Print. BUT.. you may not know that I have never owned a dye sub printer b4! 😉

OK, so I have an Epson 3000 and I’m looking at getting cartridges for it for now to see how it goes for me, (I’ll wait for the bulk ink system, probably on a 4000 or a 1290) I’m also doing airbrush work so tees for these customers would be perfect seing as I prepare all the artwork for spraying in Photoshop, may as well capitalise on the digital files!

What I’m looking for is good advice on which brand of Dye Sub Ink. I’m planning to put Paul’s Tropical Graphic, ArtaniumUV in as I have heard so many great things about it. Glyn at Victory was also very helpful yesterday and their cartridges are the Lyson (I think) and then there’s Rotech??

Any advice from experienced printers? Also, I’m looking at the swing arm heat press Victory do for £995 as I think this type is better than the clam type, any comments on the above and my website for customisable images for dye sub, would be very much appreciated. I have a large US customer base and the UK side is really starting to take off.

Jump straight to the site here: http://www.subartclub.com/acatalog/catalog_index.shtml

Thanks all.

Beej

red dragon replied 20 years ago 4 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • J. Hulme

April 15, 2004 at 8:53 pm

I couldn’t find the press you’re interested in but for that price you could have
    http://www.george-knight.com/combopresses.html

The add-on attachments which fit this machine make it a very versatile
    piece of equipment and cheaper than buying seperate presses.

http://www.rasmart.co.uk/HeatPresses.html

Smarts are agents for this make, ask for Kevin (and tell him I’ll a free screen setup as my commision) 😉

Lyson inks on a CIS, again from RA Smart

• Beej Curtis

April 15, 2004 at 9:11 pm

Thanks 🙂 just waiting to hear back from Kevin but couldn’t tell him who referred me??

Beej

• J. Hulme

April 15, 2004 at 9:15 pm

😉
    I’ll be seeing him next week so I’ll let him know, If I’m not mistaken I think they’re on holiday at the moment.

Epson 1290 from dabs is cheapest I could find when I got mine, the rest
    press, CIS, lyson inks, paper etc from smarts

• Beej Curtis

April 16, 2004 at 8:21 am

Fantastic tip on the Dabs site, hadn’t seen that b4. Thanks.
    BTW, what is CIS?

Cheers

Beej

• J. Hulme

April 16, 2004 at 9:19 am

Continuous ink feed with the seperate bottles and tubes to the cartridge
    with the multi colour all in one cartridges (6 colours) in an epson 1290
    if one colour is empty you’ll throw the whole lot away including all unused ink.With the CIS you just top up the bottle of the ink thats getting low.
    Cartridges cost a fortune with sublimation ink so its worth considering getting this feed system to save on the overall cost.

Smarts open again Monday, Yippeeee
    Yes I know it’s sad isn’t it? 😉

• red dragon

April 19, 2004 at 2:07 pm

Hi Brian,

I use the Geo Knight Digital Combo and have been well pleased with it.

On the inks side, I used Lyson for a short time, but found the black not a strong black (if you get my meaning) I now use Rotech with their ICC profile and colours work fine.

I’ve yet to try Pauls inks, but a lot of people in the states seem to.

I would say it all comes down to whichever you’re happy with in the end,
    since from reading there’s very little end difference between them.

• Beej Curtis

April 19, 2004 at 5:14 pm

Hi Sharon,

That’s the biggest issue for me right now.. which inks? Spoke to Ian at Novachrome today who says theirs are the best, (well he would I guess!) and I believe they use Sawgrass but I’ve heard they are the most expensive and read stories of inks clogging machines.

Like the combo idea but again, read some horror stories about the presses being tempramental. Kevin put me right on those points today so thanks to him and thanks to Russell for the contact.

Still scratching my head tho..hmmm, gotta make my mind up soon. I’ve also found a guy local to me selling Rotech inks and bulk systems at pretty good prices, I guess I’ll have to just get a pin and shut me eyes!!

Beej

• red dragon

April 23, 2004 at 7:05 pm

Hi Brian,

I’ve read the horror stories connected with the Geo Knight as well, but haven’t experienced that problem (keeping my fingers crossed though, and a lot of other things 😛 )

I’ve also read good things about the support you’d receive from TG, which I would say is on a par with Listawoods support. I had some problems with a C80 printer about 12 months ago and Listawood were fantastic with their customer support, that is one of my reasons for staying with Rotech inks.

I’ve lived with the Sawgrass clogging, and believe me it was a nightmare, this was in the days when the only other option you had was to buy inks from the states, this was using a Stylus 850 and the cartridges then cost a small fortune. Finding you’d used up a whole black cartridge and not been able to even get a good nozzle check was really deflating, I was on the point of giving up with dye-sub, then found out through my own research that Lyson were marketing their new dye-sub product. Cheaper and manufactured in the UK. Like I said in my other post though their black was disappointing.

Then at one of Printwear & Promotion shows came across Listawood and Rotech Inks, well as they say the rest is history. I’ve stuck with the company and Rotech inks since then.

• Beej Curtis

April 23, 2004 at 8:49 pm

Hi Sharon,

I got a sample from Novachrome and must say, the quality was outstanding. I read that the new SG IQ inks have solved any clogging issues and the colour balance was awesome from the file I gave Ian, the print quality too was excellent.

Still not seen something printed with Rotech, perhaps if I send you an image you could print me a sample Sharon? That would be a big help actually as I could see a direct comparison against the SG IQ one I have, it’s a placemat.

Beej

• Jim Clough

April 30, 2004 at 3:36 pm

Hi Sharon
    I’ve just tried the Lyson ink carts. in 980. Found colour good but black was more of a dark grey. Just got 1290 set up and will be trying Rotech carts before going bulk. How does Rotech black compare with Lyson black?
    Cheers
    Jim

• red dragon

April 30, 2004 at 5:30 pm

Brian, that’s fine if you send me the file I’ll print it for you.

Jim, have found the Rotech black to be exactly what it says on the tin, a really deep honest black.

Sorry for taking a while to reply, been getting used to the new toy. 😮