Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions General Sign Topics Anyone using Vion 5100 Material

• Anyone using Vion 5100 Material

Posted by Daniel Evans on December 3, 2018 at 10:35 am

Is anyone using the Vion 5100 media (Grey adhesive and air flow)?

I really want to like this media, I love how glossy it is but I’m having nightmares with it.

It doesn’t seem to hold in place where I have trimmed? I first noticed this on a bonnet of a Peugeot Partner. The following day there were fingers along the front of the bonnet, I didn’t go around the seam, I just trimmed it 5mm from the edge with cutting tape. It also looked like it wanted to lift / curl around the recess panels where I had trimmed.

There is no tension on my laminator so I am ruling this out. I managed to fix the fingers by going over the areas with a heat gun (a lot) and it seem to have stuck in place.

I now have another job I have to fix, the lines trimmed between the back doors and the sliding door along the side has failed, the vinyl has lifted off the panels where I fed the material around the panel after trimming.

Not had this issue once with other material and two issues in two jobs, the supplier have been great helping me sort this but I wondered if anyone is using this material?

Chris Wilson replied 5 years, 5 months ago 5 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Alex Crosbie

December 3, 2018 at 10:47 am

I had exactly the same issues with this material that you’re having, it’s very frustrating and I do have an email from William Smith which says they’re aware of it but most people are ok with it.
    I posted on here in reply to another thread asking what people thought of it and had a phone call from William Smith within a day trying offer me rolls of material to try it again! Needless to say I was less than keen!

• Daniel Evans

December 3, 2018 at 10:52 am

Hi Alex

I must of missed that post.

What media did you end up using?

I have always used MD5 but it just looks so dull compared to the vion.

• David Hammond

December 3, 2018 at 12:01 pm

We started using MDi, but with the question mark over it’s suitability, and our own recent observations, we’re looking at alternatives.

We’re on a roll of Avery MPI28014, which I’m quite impressed with.

Can’t comment on the brightness of compared to MD5.

• Alex Crosbie

December 3, 2018 at 12:37 pm

We went back to oracal 3651 with 215 laminate.
    With our setup we tend to get lots of static with Metamark materials and the 215 laminate is ultra glossy

• David Hammond

December 3, 2018 at 12:44 pm

How do you find the 3651?

I’ve heard good things about it, I think we tried it, I can’t remember why we didn’t stick with it, I vaguely recall it was to do with the spec sheet.

• David Stevenson

December 3, 2018 at 4:16 pm

We’ve been using 3651 with 210 lam for years. Haven’t had any issues or had it fail once.

• Alex Crosbie

December 3, 2018 at 6:16 pm

Love it, prints well, laminate is very glossy, it stays stuck when you apply it.
    We get through at least 2 rolls a week and never any issue.

• David Hammond

December 3, 2018 at 6:17 pm

Sorry for hijacking the thread :blushing:

Interesting, I may need to revisit this. What type of work are you using it on?

• David Stevenson

December 3, 2018 at 6:40 pm

We use it mainly for flat signage and vehicle graphics.

• David Hammond

December 3, 2018 at 6:49 pm

Excellent, looking to use it for the same purpose :thumbsup:

• Daniel Evans

December 3, 2018 at 7:06 pm

Same for me then, what price you getting as a bundle? Seems to only come in 1370 though

• Chris Wilson

December 3, 2018 at 7:28 pm

Tend to stick to Avery MPI 2800 for vehicle graphics and flat panels. We always try and avoid any recesses though in the design if we have full control.

7 year polymeric Calendar acrylic based, although much less when printed obviously. Think we are around £300-£350 for roll and laminate bundle.