Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Vehicle Wrapping Any one used 3M LX480Cv3?

• Any one used 3M LX480Cv3?

Posted by Steve Curry on December 9, 2015 at 2:00 pm

Hi All,

Has any one used 3M LX480Cv3 for vehicle graphics?

We have a couple of vehicles which require large printed logos applying over deep recesses, previously we have used IJ380 for this, but I was just about to order some and have been advised there’s a new ‘better’ product now –

LX480Cv3, non-pvc with air-release adhesive, and up to 150% stretch

Has any one got any experience with this?

The job is for a good repeat customer so I was about to dismiss the new product and stick with the IJ380 as we’ve got past history with it and it works, but should I automatically dismiss a new product, or is it really as good as the sales material suggests.

Oh and it’s cheaper than IJ380 so cost is not a deciding factor.

Thanks

Steve

Stuart Taylor replied 8 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Stuart Taylor

December 9, 2015 at 4:18 pm

Hi Steve

Just thought I would clarify a few points regarding the 3M 480 series product.

I wouldn’t say it is "better" than IJ380 which for many is the benchmark for deep recess wrapping, however it certainly has some additional benefits over IJ380 that may suit users.

Firstly as you say it is Non PVC and a completely new manufacturing technology – most Non PVC products are either PP or Polyester and usually suffer from short lifetime and/or brittle or stiffness. 480 has been designed by 3M to be super conformable and once applied/post heated suffers from no memory …. most cast PVC products are supposed to do this but many have inferior chemistry or adhesive technology.
    Second benefit is that it has the CV3 Comply "air channel" technology so application is easier and quicker compared to IJ380 that does not use airflow (to maximise adhesion in the deep recesses) but due to the different film technology it can handle an airflow technology and not fail in recess areas.
    Third Benefit is the very robust and high gloss level of the laminate (also Non PVC) and is more resistant to scratches etc
    Final main benefit is removal (something no one worries about until they have to do it) but most cast PVC films can be very difficult to remove and break/snap during the process. 480’s technology allows it to be removed in much larges pieces and speeds up removal significantly.

Finally I should also point out it is not cheaper than 3M IJ380, but is exactly the same price …. however it is on promotion during this launch period 😉

Please Note application technique is different to IJ380 but full application guidelines are available via our sales office

Stuart

• Robert Lambie

December 11, 2015 at 8:19 pm
    quote Stuart Taylor:

due to the different film technology it can handle an airflow technology and not fail in recess areas.

I understand the theory behind this and agree its a better combination of film and adhesive over other typical air release systems. But why not keep the IJ380 control-tac system and just replace the face film. 3M would then have a pretty much bullet proof film. well, just as long as their U-shape recess method of application is corrected. 😉

Don’t get me wrong, I realise an air release system will speed up application and broaden the customer base of those able to work with the film. I just feel that they maybe finding a good solution to one problem, but bringing in an old one at the same time.

Thanks for another of your posts Stuart, I always find them informative.

• Stuart Taylor

December 11, 2015 at 8:50 pm

Hi Rob

I probably didn’t make myself 100% clear – 480 still uses a repositionable adhesive system. However the new face film technology allows 3M to add the benefit of the Comply CV3 airflow technology that makes application quicker and simpler without increasing risk on failure in recessed areas.

This is an all new face film technology that has the benefit of ultra long life but with a non pvc material. It’s the new face film technology that makes it virtually foolproof in recessed areas as opposed to the adhesive system or application technique having to do all of the work.

3M have invested a $billion in developing the technology in the US to create this product range – I am sure eventually other manufacturers may try to replicate this film but at the moment 3M as always innovate and create new technologies and others try to follow.

• Steve Curry

December 12, 2015 at 1:16 pm

Thank you very much Stuart for the response, I like the idea of the new film and definitely want to give it a try, but on this occasion I decided to stick with what we know and go with the IJ380.

Unfortunately and this is not a criticism aimed at 3M or yourself, but too many times before has their been a ‘fantastic’ new material introduced to the market that doesn’t live up to it’s claims once it’s used in the real world.. at them moment the only information I can find on this material is theoretical or statements produced by 3M themselves.

Stuart – Could you answer a couple of questions for me:
    Is there any demonstrations and long term application trials in the UK of this material?
    Have you had any feed back from end users you have supplied?
    Are short sample rolls available to purchase so we can carry out our own evaluations on the material?

Thanks

Steve

• Stuart Taylor

December 14, 2015 at 3:16 pm
    quote Steve Curry:

Thank you very much Stuart for the response, I like the idea of the new film and definitely want to give it a try, but on this occasion I decided to stick with what we know and go with the IJ380.

Unfortunately and this is not a criticism aimed at 3M or yourself, but too many times before has their been a ‘fantastic’ new material introduced to the market that doesn’t live up to it’s claims once it’s used in the real world.. at them moment the only information I can find on this material is theoretical or statements produced by 3M themselves.

Stuart – Could you answer a couple of questions for me:
    Is there any demonstrations and long term application trials in the UK of this material?
    Have you had any feed back from end users you have supplied?
    Are short sample rolls available to purchase so we can carry out our own evaluations on the material?

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve

Totally understand where you’re coming from and I would agree on an existing program stick with what is working for you.

480 has been around now about 18 months in the open market but never got much traction in the UK as initially it was only available as a Latex printable option and initial pricing (as a new technology) was around 15% higher than IJ380.

In the last few months a additional solvent and UV printable range has been launched and also pricing has been realigned to be the same price per sqm as IJ380.

Since the relaunch we have a large number of our regular 180 and 380 customers trial the product and over half of them have now switched to 480 as their product of choice.

Regarding your concerns over the product, trust me when I tell you that 3M are ultra conservative when coming to releasing new technology ….. 480 is manufactured in the US and this product undergoes both real-time outdoor/weather/temperature/UV trials (Nevada to Alaska) and every accelerated lab weathering test you could imagine.

We as a 3M Distributor don’t deal with the end users, only digital print companies/wrap companies etc but if you want we could put you in contact with some of the businesses that are using the product regularly.

Finally the product is available at 1372mm x 50m or 25m rolls/kits but we do have large pre-printed samples that you could play around with.

If you want to trial this just give the sales office a call and they will arrange for your account manager to bring a sample in for you.

Stuart