Activity Feed Forums Vinyl Cutter Discussions Graphtec Vinyl Cutters A Graphtec CE 5000-60 Contour Cut using Corel Draw x4

• A Graphtec CE 5000-60 Contour Cut using Corel Draw x4

Posted by Kevin Parr on May 24, 2009 at 11:23 pm

I have watched many tutorials on this subject but I have never had any success cutting around a contour so I started to play around and come across my solution and this works for me so I hope it will also work for you.

Open your cdr file
    Make to size required using the pick tool
    ( Try to keep image in centre of page)
    Make sure image is grouped together
    Then use the Interactive contour tool (set contour to say about 1.5 mm to 2.00mm)
    Change contour fill colour
    Arrange –Break contour apart
    Then place on your registration marks using Cutting Master use( Type 2 Automatic)
    Do not put a tick in convert rectangle
    Print off your file in the printer
    Then Place the printed image such as your Transfare paper on another spare piece of vinyl (this is used as a backing piece so the cutting blade doesn’t cut into the Graphtec bed
    Select your image so it is highlighted
    Then cut/plot
    When Cutting master starts click on properties and select only the colour which you choose to be you contour outline colour
    Place your printed image with is carrier backing on into the Graphtec and choose Sheet
    Place the cutter in the middle of the bottom right hand side reg mark
    Send
    Ok

And this should make the Graphtec cut around your image.

Alex Pirozek replied 14 years, 11 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Chris Wool

May 24, 2009 at 11:55 pm

thanks for that Kevin I too struggled to do as graphtec suggests.

once i took cutting master out of the equation all was well, imo cutting master is graphtecs downfall the windows driver is far better as it does not try to be clever.

chris

• Mark Jahn

May 25, 2009 at 8:51 pm

Nice walkthrough Kevin. Are you using peeled vinyl to act as the grip for your printed paper? I remember using the A4 carrier sheet when I had a Craft Robo many moons ago which worked well. One of the Robo forums suggested saving money and buying ordinary card and applying a low tack spray to use as the carrier sheet. I don’t see why this couldn’t be used with larger sheets in principle.

Graphtec phoned me shortly after the Sign Show and also explained a good process of doing contour cuts but using a strip of "fuzzy felt" over the top of the cutting strip. No carrier sheet was needed in that situation as the blade goes straight through the printed paper and into the felt. The only difference being that they described a different cutting condition for the contour so it had a greater force to cut right through the paper and another condition to give a "kiss cut" contour around the contour.

Very interesting stuff.

• Chris Wool

May 25, 2009 at 9:40 pm

mark i run the felt strip it does have its problems with normal vinyl but that can be overcome.
    if you want to do the perf cut graphtec offer this strip but non of the other manufacturers feel its necessary ?.
    if came about as the fc7000 was sold to dress makers for cutting paper patterns.

chris

• Mark Jahn

May 25, 2009 at 10:00 pm

Would you be inclined to do away with the felt then Chris. But maybe something else to protect the cutting strip?

• Kevin Parr

May 26, 2009 at 4:39 pm

Yes i just use any old vinyl and just as the vinyl has a backing i do the same but i just stick my transfare paper the the vinyl as transfare paper is so thin i dont want to take the chance in dulling my cutter.

• Alex Pirozek

May 26, 2009 at 6:06 pm

When i need to cut out intricate shapes for engine gaskets made from .002" grease proof paper I’ve made a carrier sheet from A4 card stock and put it through a crafters Xyron laminating machine with a reusable adhesive cartridge, that will give you a reusable carrier sheet that will last ages. If you need bigger then tape the A4 sheets together from behind after they’ve been laminated through the Xyron.
    I’ve also used premium App tape with low tack adhesive for a carrier sheet as well with good results.
    Alex.