• Peter Normington

October 28, 2008 at 12:19 pm

yes I do, it is on impacts latest disc,
    Peter

• Brian Hays

October 28, 2008 at 12:40 pm

Peter S.

I believe Paul here has spoken to you. Sorry we offer free updates for 12 months. Your disk is 1 1/2 years old. If we offered free updates indefinitely we wouldn’t be here.

• Peter Stafford

October 28, 2008 at 1:24 pm

How often do you do updates because I didn’t recieve any in the year from purchase for Graphics, H&S or Vehicles. It might be a better idea to offer 1 free update from purchase as opposed to the first year rule.

• John Childs

October 28, 2008 at 7:36 pm

Peter,

I think you’ll find that adding to the Impact library is a continual process, rather than a sudden jump.

The idea is that if, in the first year, a new van is released and you need the outline, you just contact Impact and they email the files you need. I’ve had plenty of new vans like that.

If you had still been within twelve months of your purchase, then you would have been entitled to receive the Sprinter you need now.

I hope that explains it correctly. 😀

• John Harding

October 28, 2008 at 8:48 pm

I understand/agree with the above but it would be a nice idea if the years updates were automatic rather than on request, just my twoppence worth 😀

• Warren Beard

October 28, 2008 at 9:22 pm

I haven’t bought a disc from Brian but to be honest the only thing I have always thought negative about the product is the updates.

I think you should have free updates on any year vehicle up to the year you have bought the disc for or as mentioned all owners of discs get a free updated copy at the end of the year. If they wanted the next years model they would have to buy a new disc.

I do believe the product is very good and from what I have heard on here proves this, my comments above are simply my own opinions and thoughts.

If anybody cares 🙄

cheers

Warren

• John Childs

October 28, 2008 at 10:15 pm
    quote Warren Beard:

think you should have free updates on any year vehicle up to the year you have bought the disc for or as mentioned all owners of discs get a free updated copy at the end of the year. If they wanted the next years model they would have to buy a new disc.

I see your point Warren, but that would mean Impact having to send out two discs to every customer, with all the cost implications that would bring.

More importantly, it would also mean that anybody buying one years disc automatically got two years. In my own case I update every year so there’s an immediate reduction in sales.

As it is I buy a disc then, if I need a new model within the next twelve months, I just ask and it gets sent to me. At the end of the year I buy another disc and, apart from all the new van outlines, I am also entitled to another year of free updates.

I think the present system is great. Does anybody else do that or, if you buy alternative supplier’s discs, are you on your own from day one? I regard the update facility as a bonus.

• Warren Beard

October 28, 2008 at 10:33 pm

Hi John

I don’t mean you get another free year, if you buy the 2008 disc but don’t upgrade in 2009 you should still be entitled to any 2008 vehicles as it is from the same year you bought the disc, if you wanted a 2009 outline then you must cough up.

The system is good and for the price I think it is good value if you use it often, I just think that any vehicle outline done during the year of your free update period you should be entitled to.

Either way I would buy the disc as it is but just hate the thought that if after 13 months I needed an outline of last years vehicle I would have to buy a new disc. I think think there is a win win situation and this way probably works best otherwise I’m sure Brian would have changed it.

Not knocking the product in any way and do think it is good value for all the work it must take to produce.

But don’t we all always want that little bit more 🙄 :lol1:

cheers

Warren

• Lynn Normington

October 28, 2008 at 11:04 pm

have to say I think the way Brian does it it works fine, we renew every year and it isn’t often we need anything inbetween, but if we do it’s there,

Lynn

• Peter Normington

October 28, 2008 at 11:20 pm

Warren
    vehicle manufactures dont release new models at any particular time, so we dont get 2008 madels and 2009 models for instance, so not sure where the cut of point would be as far as when you purchased the disc.
    For instance if Brian releases the disc in January, come December everyone would be wanting a free update, so in effect getting an extra year FOC
    its only a matter of emailing Brian for any new outlines during the year after you bought the disc, so I cant see a problem.
    Your comment are quite valid, and I’m sure Brian has thought about your sugestions before, but I an sure it would increase the price of the product.

No doubt Brian will explain his logic when he sees this thread.

Peter

• Warren Beard

October 28, 2008 at 11:28 pm

Points taken, I still battle with the English way of dating vehicles, reg numbers etc are all new to me and don’t mean didly squat 😳 :lol1:

but just to clear up my thought is it does not matter when you buy the disc, if you buy it today the 28th October and new outlines Brian does up until the 27th October 2009 you (could possibly be ) entitled to any time in the future with no yearly limit. If it is an outline done after this date you would have to buy a new disc.

I don’t actually see it making a huge difference anyway but when I get in to these moods you know how I get (cue Rob with a story about aliens 🙄 )

cheers guys

Warren

• Peter Normington

October 28, 2008 at 11:37 pm
    quote Warren Beard:

Points taken, I still battle with the English way of dating vehicles, reg numbers etc are all new to me and don’t mean didly squat 😳 :lol1:

but just to clear up my thought is it does not matter when you buy the disc, if you buy it today the 28th October and new outlines Brian does up until the 27th October 2009 you (could possibly be ) entitled to any time in the future with no yearly limit. If it is an outline done after this date you would have to buy a new disc.

I don’t actually see it making a huge difference anyway but when I get in to these moods you know how I get (cue Rob with a story about aliens 🙄 )

cheers guysWarren

Warren our registration does not date the vehicle, just when it was purchased new.
    yes you are entitled to any new outlines Brian may produce for the year after you buy the disc. all you have to do is ask for them, but there are so many obscure models released in any 12 months it would be impractical for Brian to send everyone a new disc, a year after they purchased the initial one.

Anyway how come you havent bought the disc?

Peter

• John Childs

October 29, 2008 at 12:33 am
    quote Lynn:

have to say I think the way Brian does it it works fine, we renew every year and it isn’t often we need anything inbetween, but if we do it’s there,

Well done Lynn.

That’s exactly what I was trying, very badly, to say. 😀

• Derek Heron

October 29, 2008 at 7:18 am

have to say I think the way Brian does it it works fine, we renew every year and it isn’t often we need anything in between, but if we do it’s there,

i also agree with Lynn’s comments

been with impact over two years now only had to call a couple of times for an updated vehicle and had excellent service.
    i inquired once about a teraxa digger and Brian although they didn’t have the outline sent me a blueprint to work from.

:thumbup2:
    Derek

• Russell Huffer

October 29, 2008 at 7:25 am

I do not have this at the moment but am considering purchase and like alot of people my biggest consideration is one of cost, if updates where to be sent out to everyone once a year or sooner then Impacts cost would probably go up.

From what i have seen the current system works and is cost effective.

Regards

Russell.

• John Harding

October 29, 2008 at 8:27 am

Warren glad you liked my idea 😀 what I didnt say is – the updates could easily be supplied on email for the year as they occurr rather than sending out disks, at the end of the year you get the opportunity to renew or get deleted from the list – thus promoting extra sales for Brian 😀

John

• Warren Beard

October 29, 2008 at 8:31 am

agree with everyone and everything and would work perfectly as long as you buy the new disc each year.

• James Martin

October 29, 2008 at 9:29 am

I’ve no gripes as such with the service and think the current system is fair and works adequately.

Kind of like a yearly subscription service with the main catalog provided up front with updates available on request if needed. No problems with that at this end, its never let me down.

My subscription was up last month and because I haven’t needed any updates I haven’t bothered coughing up yet, and probably wont till needed because I’m still small fry and don’t like unnecessary purchases.

If all the outlines were on a database that could be accessed at anytime of the day or night( I in the past used to work late sometimes), to subscription payers it would solve the waiting problem and improve cash flow for impact.

Books and disks could be an optional extra for more money.

I bet this has been discussed before.

• Brian Hays

October 29, 2008 at 10:52 am

I will try to put it from our perspective..

We don’t send updates automatically for many reasons. Firstly it would be very difficult to do so. Unlike MR Clipart/Ingram we have 3 or 4 new versions every year. Not just one for each year. So lots of people are on different versions so would require different updates. They are also in 4 different formats so it would create further problems knowing what format to send. And even if we had that information it would clearly complicate things. Due to the number of versions etc. I would need to manually email each & every customer. Alternatively I could maybe employ somebody to manage this. We are talking of relatively small numbers of sales & I imagine we would have to increase the price by at least 50% to cover this. People would also be having their email boxes clogged up with outlines they would never use. How many of you have had a requirement for a Ferrari 430 or Lamborghini Gallardo?

As far as having them available for download for existing customers, this would also be difficult. It is also prohibitively expensive. I know MR Clipart have such a system, but as far as I can see there is nothing to stop somebody passing their login details on to whoever they like. Or even worse selling them on places like eBay. Again because of the costs involved this would also lead to price increases. MR Clipart sell all over the world, they are selling in huge numbers in comparison to us. Therefore it is cost effective for them to provide such a service. We only supply a UK/Eire product, hopefully making the product more useful to our target market than a product aimed at the entire world.

I don’t know of many software products that you get free updates with (apart from new builds etc) so I think the system pretty fair. For most the sytem as it is now is fine. We see no reason to change a system that is clearly working for the majority. Obviously we are constantly trying to improve things, as I would imagine most of you are also trying to do with your businesses, especially so given the current climate.

Please remember it is a FREE service. It’s not perfect. And we don’t always have everything that you may need. You can be sure that we will do our best though.

• Lynn Normington

October 29, 2008 at 9:53 pm

Brian your best is good enough thank you, as I said before your system works very well.

Lynn

• Brian Hays

October 29, 2008 at 10:37 pm

Thanks Lynn 🙂