Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Vinyl 3M IJ-480 Envision

• 3M IJ-480 Envision

Posted by John Dorling on September 18, 2013 at 11:04 am

Has anyone used this film yet? I had a rep in yesterday with a sample and we had a play about with it. It seems really nice to work with and the laminate is very glossy.

Apparently is is PVC free, and does not need post heating (although it does not specifically mention that in the 3M fact sheet).

I’d be interested to hear from anyone who has used it and is it worth the extra money?

Thanks

John

John Dorling replied 10 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Stuart Taylor

September 20, 2013 at 11:06 am

Hi John

Not sure which company’s rep showed you this product but as we were all in a sales meeting Monday through Wednesday morning and after talking to Sarah I know it wasnt ourselves.

I thought I needed to correct the information you were told about post heating. We are running a wrap course at our head office today and I have both the senior 3M application engineer and a senior 3M account manager and both have confirmed my understanding that when used for vehicle wrapping –

480 MUST be post heated and uses the same official application method from 3M as IJ180 which is post heated to 100degrees.

The other points are correct that this is a non PVC product, it does has a very glossy laminate. It is also much easier to remove without breaking into small pieces and has a maximum of a 12 year life expectency …. which is very unusual for a non PVC product.

Sarah will call you directly to clarify product details

Hope this helps clarify for anyone who has read this thread as not post heating could certainly lead to a product failure.

Stuart

• John Dorling

September 20, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Hi Stuart

Thank you for the reply. It WAS NOT a William Smith rep who came round! I could not believe that it wouldn’t need post-heating hence the post on here for some feedback.

I did try a small A4 sample and it seems really nice to work with and the laminate is nice and glossy. Seems to have the conformability of IJ380 and the speed of IJ180 which is ideal for us. A bit more money than the 380 but the potential time savings, eco credentials and longevity seem like they would be worth it.

Hopefully I will have a job come up soon that I can use some on!

Thanks

John