Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Industry News (Archive) £30,000 Chrome Wrapped Mini Cooper, cannot get Insured!

• £30,000 Chrome Wrapped Mini Cooper, cannot get Insured!

Posted by .News on July 16, 2014 at 11:21 am

The £30,000 chrome Mini Cooper which the buyers cannot even take off their drive

It must have seemed like an expensive gift that would make his wife the flashiest thing on the road. But it has ended up becoming rather a burden. Ian Grice paid £30,000 for a chrome-plated Mini Cooper as a Valentine’s gift for his wife Toni. But to the couple’s dismay, they cannot even get the new car off their drive to show it off.

Flash: Ian Grice bought a £30,000 chrome Mini Cooper for his wife Toni, but cannot get it insured

Mr Grice, 42, cannot get anyone to insure the pricey vehicle: ‘I’ve been left with the world’s most expensive mirror,’ he complained. ‘No one will touch it with a barge pole.’ The builder bought the super-shiny car from a London showroom as a Valentine’s Day gift for his wife, 41.

World’s most expensive mirror? Toni Grice applies her lipstick in her £30,000 car-cum-mirror

Mr Grice, a father of two, said: ‘They say it’s too fragile and it’ll get scratched and scuffed too easily.’ He added that it was a ‘striking’ car and that ‘if you look at the body you see your reflection perfectly.’ A spokesman for the Association of British Insurers said: ‘It could be a target for thieves.’

Source

Jon Marshall replied 9 years, 9 months ago 9 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Martin Cole

July 16, 2014 at 2:41 pm

£30k for a Mini.. 😮

Is it just me that thinks when the sun shines on these chrome wraps its a bit hazardous to other drivers or is this not the case.

Insurance saying its too fragile and very nickable but no mention of it being a mobile mirror… 😎

All that said it does look the part.

• Jason Bagladi

July 16, 2014 at 3:11 pm

If its awrapped present, can’t she just unwrap it??

• Martin Pearson

July 16, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Is it actually wrapped? says plated in the article.

Martin I mentioned the giant mirror scenario ages ago when they first started talking about chrome wraps on the forum, wondered how many accidents it would take before they were banned for road use vehicles.
    Not just the sun either think about driving at night when a set of headlights hits it.

• Robert Lambie

July 16, 2014 at 7:45 pm

It is wrapped martin, i think the newspapers that don’t fully understand how its done, do tend to use words like plated, painted etc when talking about wraps.

the justin bieber article states that it was painted, "but we changed it to wrap" because i know his was done in a wrap for fact as it was west coast customs that done it, as they did bieber’s chrome car too.

i dont know what a mini like that costs top of the range, but you should be charging £4k at least for the wrap. The Paperlinx chrome Audi I did used about £2k worth of media alone, thats before you lift a finger. Chrome is also extremely temperamental to work with and a slower installation process as a result.

• David Rowland

July 19, 2014 at 6:12 pm

its not the end of the world lol…

waiting for the articles to point out sunlight and headlights but it didn’t

also the issue with body colour and wraps was in one of the sign mags recently

• Hugh Potter

July 21, 2014 at 9:53 am

I don’t think chrome / a mirror is an issue, I’ve been dazzled many times on the M4 in the evenings when heading to London – simply by the rear windows or even the rounded corners of vehicles – regardless of colour.

the simple answer here would be to wrap it again with a clear laminate – no scratching on the chrome then … though of course, you’d never separate the laminate from the chrome if you needed to repair it!

• Brian Hays

July 21, 2014 at 12:45 pm

A 2010 Cooper S is work about £10k. So it may have been a very expensive wrap!

• Liam Pattison

July 21, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Imagine parking that thing anywhere! No matter where you put it, you can guarantee some idiot would park within an inch and open their door right into it whilst trying to get their great big bum out of their own car!!

• Jon Marshall

July 21, 2014 at 1:22 pm

This is a fairly old story so probably was a £25k car with £4-5k wrap