Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Off Topic Chat 206 Dash Warning Light

• 206 Dash Warning Light

Posted by Phill Fenton on July 22, 2009 at 1:55 pm

My Daughter now has a Peugot 206. Yesterday when the car was being driven (not long after filling it up with petrol) the engine diagnostic warning light came up on the dashboard. According to the handbook the car can still be driven safely but should be checked out at the local dealership at the earliest opportunity. When I phoned the dealer I was told this would cost £65 to plug it into their computer to diagnose the fault.

Well, given that the only sign I have that anything is wrong is this warning light on the dashboard (the car drives fine, the engine oil is OK and the car is not overheating) I am reluctant to shell out £65 of my hard earned moolah to be possibly told there isn’t actually anything wrong.

What should I do
    😕

Ivan Morley replied 14 years, 9 months ago 22 Members · 83 Replies
  • 83 Replies
  • George Elsmore

July 22, 2009 at 2:05 pm

No Idea 😕

http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/sho … .php?t=227

• Graeme Harrold

July 22, 2009 at 2:17 pm
    quote Phill:

What should I do
    😕

Keep on driving and shell out £30 on AA or RAC insurance and spend the other £35 as a saving…. :lol1:

Thought Id take a leaf out of the female logic book

• Steve Goddard

July 22, 2009 at 3:03 pm

I’ve just spoken to a mate of mine in the motor trade, he says unfortunately it’s going to have to be plugged into a diagnostics machine to get the warning light to go off.
    The common reason for the light coming on is low oil level but as you have checked the oil thats not an option. Oxygen sensors are the other common one but they usualy make the car run pretty lumpy. It could be down to somthing like a faulty sensor.

Where abouts in scotland are you Phill? I’ve got a mate in the modified car scene in Edinborough, if thats anywhere near you I can ask him if he has any mates who work in garages up there.

• Phill Fenton

July 22, 2009 at 3:14 pm

Thanks for the offer Steve – I’m just outside Edinburgh (about 10 miles to the West). I suspect it’s something to do with the fuel we put in just before it happened. The car was bought privately and is just an old banger really so I am reluctant to spend dealership prices for a diagnostic. The car is running great and there is absolutely no sign of anything being wrong – apart from the stupid light staying on.

Oh for the good old days when cars were much simpler 🙄

• Graeme Harrold

July 22, 2009 at 3:16 pm
    quote Steve Goddard:

I’ve just spoken to a mate of mine in the motor trade, he says unfortunately it’s going to have to be plugged into a diagnostics machine to get the warning light to go off.
    The common reason for the light coming on is low oil level but as you have checked the oil thats not an option. Oxygen sensors are the other common one but they usualy make the car run pretty lumpy. It could be down to somthing like a faulty sensor.

Where abouts in scotland are you Phill? I’ve got a mate in the modified car scene in Edinborough, if thats anywhere near you I can ask him if he has any mates who work in garages up there.

Be surprised if you need to plug in to extinguish the light for oil level, as once corrected it should go out (sometimes triggered by the bonnet sensor) Also check the water level as this may trigger a general warning.
    Also you will probably get a much better rate from an independent garage rather than main dealer to do a diagnostic for you.

• Kevin Flowers

July 22, 2009 at 3:17 pm

Phil
    most smaller garages have code readers now & charge about 50% less might be worth a phone around

Kev

• Peter Normington

July 22, 2009 at 3:33 pm

Take the bulb out of the warning light…

😀

You do need to get it sorted though, or you will not know if a genuine fault occurs

Peter

• Phill Fenton

July 22, 2009 at 3:41 pm

Thing is – this could be a genuine fault – I don’t know.

I’ll be taking Kevins advice and phoning some local garages to see if they can do anything.

Thanks for all the suggestions 😀

• John Harding

July 22, 2009 at 11:02 pm
    quote :

The car is running great and there is absolutely no sign of anything being wrong

Leave well alone

If it didnt have a light you wouldnt be worrying

quote :

apart from the stupid light staying on

tape over the light or sprung loaded centre punch will do the trick

quote :

Keep on driving and shell out £30 on AA or RAC insurance and spend the other £35 as a saving….

:yes1: Top advice

• John Childs

July 23, 2009 at 5:33 am

I’d take it to a professional. 😀

• Russell Huffer

July 23, 2009 at 5:41 am

Just disconnect the battery for 30 mins, this will reset system, if light comes back on then it is a genuine fault and needs investigation.

Regards

Russell.

• Phill Fenton

July 23, 2009 at 7:52 am
    quote John Childs:

I would (will) do John – I just think £65 is a rip off for a diagnostic check which will only take 5 minutes. It’ll take them longer than that to make up the bill and take my credit card payment 🙁

I’ll try disconnecting the battery first and report back later 😀

• Graeme Harrold

July 23, 2009 at 8:08 am
    quote Phill:

quote John Childs:

I would (will) do John – I just think £65 is a rip off for a diagnostic check which will only take 5 minutes. It’ll take them longer than that to make up the bill and take my credit card payment 🙁

I’ll try disconnecting the battery first and report back later 😀

£65 yup, may be a 5 minute job, but do you charge by the minute? Diagnostic equipment aint cheap, plus garage overheads, training insurance etc, etc, Suggest you read a fantastic book written by a bloke called Phill, esp the chapter on working out an hourly minimum rate……………… :lol1:

P.S. BT charge £100/hour for an engineer 😮

• John Childs

July 23, 2009 at 8:12 am
    quote John Childs:

I just think £65 is a rip off for a diagnostic check which will only take 5 minutes.

But isn’t that what some of our customers say about us? We’re a rip-off because we want to charge them £60.00 for a design which "will only take five minutes".

We tell them that they’re paying for knowledge, expertise and experience, and I’m sure that your Peugeot dealer will tell you the same.

:peek:

added on edit: I’d be interested to know the outcome of disconnecting the battery. Obvious, but I’d never have thought of it. 😀

• Phill Fenton

July 23, 2009 at 8:14 am

:tongue: :tongue:

• Kevin Flowers

July 23, 2009 at 8:18 am

Phil
    (devils advocate bit)
    main dealers are in the same boat as us, they invest in selling a make of car & the tools that go with it. Then comes along Joe Bloggs who says i’ll half that i don’t have the overheads they do etc, i can buy a code reader etc at Halfords and charge people half the price to do a diagnostic check the fact that it may give false reading or show up no fault isn’t my problem i’ll just show them the print out & take their £35.

At the end of the day like we have issues with certain newbies or the ethics of certain individuals so do garages. Some of these machines cost in excess of £15000 with a yearly update fee of £2000 etc. Like we would like to see a return in our investments so do they.

Kev

But you can also get reputable smaller garages who invest money in equipment but who will do the job cheaper because they have lower overheads due to a smaller unit etc

• Graeme Harrold

July 23, 2009 at 8:19 am
    quote John Childs:

added on edit: I’d be interested to know the outcome of disconnecting the battery. Obvious, but I’d never have thought of it. 😀

might work, might not. it all depends on the fault logging memory within the engine management module.

• Warren Beard

July 23, 2009 at 9:01 am

just something I learned from experience, my wife used to have a Vauxhall and if the battery went dead (or disconnected) the computer would lose it’s setting but then the car would not start, apparently this was a safety feature and after spending hours trying to start the car and rolling it down the hill to try jump start it we had to pay for a tow truck and the resetting charge etc.

I would try Google searched about disconnecting the battery before I actually did it.

cheers

Warren

• Peter Mindham

July 23, 2009 at 11:36 am

Only trouble with disconnecting the battery is that you then have to pay the dealer to reset the clock and recode the radio at £65.00 each.

Peter

• John Harding

July 23, 2009 at 11:50 am
    quote :

£65 yup, may be a 5 minute job, but do you charge by the minute? Diagnostic equipment aint cheap, plus garage overheads, training insurance etc, etc, Suggest you read a fantastic book written by a bloke called Phill, esp the chapter on working out an hourly minimum rate………………

:rofl:

• Phill Fenton

July 23, 2009 at 11:57 am

Well I never…

I’ve just been on a car mechanics forum and you wouldn’t believe the slagging I got 😕

Things like:-

"stealing the bread from our mouths"
    "don’t buy a cheap Chinese diagnostics unit"
    "leave it to the professionals"

etc etc Blah Blah..

And all I want is to make the light go off (puppy-eyes)

• John Childs

July 23, 2009 at 1:17 pm

*rofl*

• Kevin Flowers

July 23, 2009 at 1:27 pm

just print a mile face & stick it over it

Kev

• Russell Huffer

July 23, 2009 at 3:14 pm

On most newer cars the radio is coded to the engine management unit so you do not need to put in a code, I do not understand the bit about Vauxhall not starting if battery disconnected, I guess that is what you get for buying a Vauxhall.

My last Lexus had the light come on and the local garage said either take out the ecu fuse or disconnect battery for half hour, then the system is reset and if the light was being oversensative as they can be it stays off but if there is a problem a reset will not cure it so the light comes back on.

I did this half a dozen time on my Lexus as the light kept coming back on and the fault code was take to main dealer, this is very EXPENSIVE with Lexus main dealer so in the end i part exd for another Lexus that touch wood the light stays off on this one. lovely cars but main dealers know how to charge.

Regards

Russell.

• Phill Fenton

July 23, 2009 at 5:17 pm

Well after a bit of research I reckoned it would be safe to disconnect the battery despite Warrens doom laden prophecies. The procedure for changing the spark plugs involves first removing the coil pack – and in order to remove the coil pack you need to disconnect the battery first 😮 .

So I disconnected the battery, then came in and had chicken Fajitas for my tea. By then, half an hour had elapsed, and I reconnected the battery only to find that the warning light is still on. (hot)

• Peter Normington

July 23, 2009 at 6:05 pm
    quote Phill:

Well I never…

I’ve just been on a car mechanics forum and you wouldn’t believe the slagging I got 😕

Things like:-

“stealing the bread from our mouths”
    “don’t buy a cheap Chinese diagnostics unit”
    “leave it to the professionals”

etc etc Blah Blah..

And all I want is to make the light go off (puppy-eyes)

You should have done a trade.
    " tell me how to fix my car, and I will show you how to make your own bonnet stripes at 10 quid a pair"…

Phill you are such a tight Rs.
    and quite hypocritical 😀

Peter

• Phill Fenton

July 23, 2009 at 7:18 pm

I have a plan…

I’m gonna give the car a full service on Saturday. This will include fitting new plugs and filters. If this does not fix the problem I will take it to a local garage to get it looked at.

"But why not just take it to a garage in the first place Phill"?

Because my previous experiences with garages leaves a lot to be desired.
    https://www.uksignboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=31028&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

• Nigel Hindley

July 23, 2009 at 7:48 pm

I’m with John on this one and agree with peter,

Phil, -Just pay the £65 you could have earned it in the time you messing about on mechanic forums!

From experience and I have owned around 10 Peugeot’s over the last 5 years and you do have to plug them in to clear the smallest thing – but at least the car is still running. When i first bought a brand new 407 – a bulb going or minor problem was enough to get the computer to tell the engine not to start before it had been cleared on a diagnostic machine.

As said these machines are not cheap and the software is £5k for each car brand.

I do think that it has also become a cash cow now and is probably abused but you wont get a Smalll garage that can afford a diagnostic machine only the larger ones that charge a lot of money!

Why not buy a Trabant?

Nigel

• Peter Normington

July 23, 2009 at 10:12 pm

eeee

• Brian Little

July 24, 2009 at 7:03 am

hmm i had this problem phil with a 406 i had a living nightmare Peugeot couldnt fine out what it was .The car drove fine until that light came on then it drove like shit .After you stopped and restarted it the computer reset itself and went fine until the next time…an intermittent fault ..the worse kind .yours who knows could be the map senser …just remember this phill…….."the lion goes from strength to strength "..only not

Regards Brian

ps now got a beemer straight 6…..so expensive on fuel …BUT OH SO MUCH FUN!!! 😀 😀

• Phill Fenton

July 24, 2009 at 8:09 am

This has given me a brilliant idea for a money making scheme to make my sign business even more lucrative than it is already.

In future, every sign I install will contain a small lightbulb tucked away in the corner. This will be connected to a timing device set to switch the bulb on 6 months or so after the sign has been installed. I’ll leave a set of maintenance instructions with the new sign owners telling them if the bulb lights up – not to worry, but to contact me as soon as possible to check the sign over as the lit bulb indicates a possible fault developing with the sign. Then I’ll charge them £65 to reset the timer to go off again in another 6 months time and also re-assure the owner that the sign is now fixed and should provide further good service as long as the light stays off.

It’s a plan – it might work.

"What do you mean it’s unethical? That’s exactly what Peugeot are doing" 😕

• Nigel Hindley

July 24, 2009 at 8:17 am
    quote Phill:

This has given me a brilliant idea for a money making scheme to make my sign business even more lucrative than it is already.

In future, every sign I install will contain a small lightbulb tucked away in the corner. This will be connected to a timing device set to switch the bulb on 6 months or so after the sign has been installed. I’ll leave a set of maintenance instructions with the new sign owners telling them if the bulb lights up – not to worry, but to contact me as soon as possible to check the sign over as the lit bulb indicates a possible fault developing with the sign. Then I’ll charge them £65 to reset the timer to go off again in another 6 months time and also re-assure the owner that the sign is now fixed and should provide further good service as long as the light stays off.

“What do you mean it’s unethical? That’s exactly what Peugeot are doing” 😕

Phil,

– you mean you don’t do this already? – i thought it was industry standard?

NIgel

• Neil Speirs

July 24, 2009 at 10:18 am

or how about signing customer’s up to a yearly service contract (-)

This is simples, pop in on your customer once a year to carry out the annual inspection/service which involves the following:

1) Give the sign a good whack with a *pelt-omiter to confirm that the sign or signs are not falling down.
    2) Grab a passer by & ask them if they can see the signage which then confirms that the signs ain’t broke.
    3) Give customer a worthless A4 certificate to confirm steps 1 & 2 have been carried, wish them a good day & tell em you’ll see them next year 😀

*Pelt-omiter: Technical name for a hammer

(this is not really a new idea, alarm companies have been doing it for decades 😉 )

• Paul Humble

July 24, 2009 at 11:12 am

You can buy the machines from eBay for £20! Its a huge scam the garages have charging obscene amounts for "Diagnostics" when it takes literally 2 minutes to do.

• Nigel Hindley

July 24, 2009 at 2:27 pm
    quote Paul Humble:

You can buy the machines from eBay for £20! Its a huge scam the garages have charging obscene amounts for “Diagnostics” when it takes literally 2 minutes to do.

Hi Paul,

Whilst it may be expensive and bordering on a scam these machines do not cost £20 – our local garage takes cars 120 miles (that’s a 240 mile round trip) to the nearest dealer to diagnose problems because its not worth there while buying them. The garage I’m talking about has around 20 staff so not small garage but still not worth their while buying the machine and then the software.

The overheads a garage must have must be incredible I’m surprised any of them make money to be honest.

Don’t get me wrong – I hate most of them too but fairs fair.

Nigel

• Paul Humble

July 24, 2009 at 2:37 pm

Do an eBay search or OBD2 Fault Code Reader. They arent quite as high tech as the equipment the garages use, but they achieve the same result which is retrieving the fault code from the cars ECU which can be then realated to the actual fault.

• Graeme Harrold

July 24, 2009 at 3:10 pm
    quote Paul Humble:

Do an eBay search or OBD2 Fault Code Reader. They arent quite as high tech as the equipment the garages use, but they achieve the same result which is retrieving the fault code from the cars ECU which can be then realated to the actual fault.

Quite right, these only interrogate the fault codes and nothing else. The expensive diagnostic machines will also download any other stored telemetry information, plus give live sensor parameter outputs when the engine is running (why they cost so much) as this will give the mechanic more to go on to actually diagnose a fault. In the truck world, most of its done wirelessly now. More of a drive by diagnostic, flippin fantastic bits of kit, but vastly expensive.

Fault codes are handy, but not the whole story……………

• Nigel Hindley

July 24, 2009 at 5:59 pm

I cant be bothered messing around in engines even to get a code even if it does only cost twenty quid.

By the time i bought it paid for it opened learned how to use it potentially damage my car and invalidate the warranty and then know what to do with the code, and still have to fix the car I could quite easily have made enough money to pay someone else and put my feet up with a beer and relax knowing a professional is fixing my car. This was my original point as well as John and Peter.

We all have to make our money and some here comment about the cheapskates buying cheap plotters to do a few stickers who aren’t prepared to pay the prices sign makers charge etc etc and now we are doing the same – let the garages make there money and lets make signs! great if we can do the odd job ourselves to save money but most of the time its a false economy.

Having said that I would love to see the Forum Phil was on and see the mechanic equivalent of Peter giving him lalldy.

All just my humble opinion whats suits some doesn’t suit others!

• Phill Fenton

July 24, 2009 at 9:04 pm
    quote Nigel Hindley:

Having said that I would love to see the Forum Phil was on and see the mechanic equivalent of Peter giving him lalldy.

:lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

• John Childs

July 24, 2009 at 10:30 pm
    quote Paul Humble:

garages have charging obscene amounts for “Diagnostics” when it takes literally 2 minutes to do.

You’ve obviously never run a workshop then Paul? 😀

• Phill Fenton

July 24, 2009 at 10:38 pm

Yeah I think I can see your point John.

Today a fella in a motorhome rolled up and asked if I could make up a replica logo for his motorhome (while he waits) as the old logo was getting a bit faded and knackered. I explained to him that anything was possible and that yes I coould re-create the motorhome logo but it would cost £37 + VAT for a one off.

"I’ll need to think about it and get back to you" he said (I’m sure these people imagine we have a stock of stickers sitting on a shelf waiting to hand over for a fiver :roll:)

As the bugger sped away in a cloud of dust I yelled after him "Don’t think about it for too long cos when you come back the price will have gone up to £65 ya c@nt " 😕

• Neil Speirs

July 24, 2009 at 10:47 pm
    quote Phill:

As the bugger sped away in a cloud of dust I yelled after him “Don’t think about it for too long cos when you come back the price will have gone up to £65 ya c@nt ” 😕

Brilliant Phil :lol1: :lol1: your comic talents are wasted as a signmaker

• Brian Little

July 25, 2009 at 8:46 pm
    quote Phill:

Phill youve lost it mate just like Stacey in Easterners ……..forget the garage mate you got to see the doc and soon

“What do you mean it’s unethical? That’s exactly what Peugeot are doing” 😕

• Nigel Hindley

July 26, 2009 at 7:22 pm
    quote Neil Speirs:

quote Phill:

As the bugger sped away in a cloud of dust I yelled after him “Don’t think about it for too long cos when you come back the price will have gone up to £65 ya c@nt ” 😕

Brilliant Phil :lol1: :lol1: your comic talents are wasted as a signmaker

– Neil,

You obviously haven’t seen any of Phils signs!

😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀

• John Childs

July 26, 2009 at 7:43 pm
    quote Phill:

I’m gonna give the car a full service on Saturday. This will include fitting new plugs and filters.

How did it go Phill?

Light on, or light off?

• Phill Fenton

July 26, 2009 at 8:06 pm

New plugs, Oil filter, Air filter. Oil changed
    Fluids checked and topped up.
    Visual inspection of brakes and tyres. All Okay (discovered it had brand new discs and brake pads recentyl fitted).
    All lights and switchgear checked and fully functional.
    Test drive

Engine warning light still on 😕

• Nicola McIntosh

July 26, 2009 at 8:22 pm
    quote Phill:

Visual inspection of brakes and tyres. All Okay (discovered it had brand new discs and brake pads recentyl fitted).
    Test drive

trade it in for a mini cooper s :car:

• Peter Normington

July 26, 2009 at 9:45 pm
    quote Phill:

Test drive

So how much have you spent on parts so far? may have been better just to take it to the main dealer in the first place, they may charge £65 to do a check, but at least they will tell you what the problem is, rather than guessing…

Peter

• Phill Fenton

July 26, 2009 at 10:21 pm

£31.90 + VAT – but I do get trade prices from my local motor factor 😉

Seriously though – I bought the car privately 2 weeks ago and had every intention of checking it over as soon as I could. I’ve been working on cars since I was a teenager – I enjoy it – it’s my hobby.

The problem I have is with modern electronics – I just don’t understand them at all.

So it’s off to the local garage this week to find out if there really is something I should be worried about 😕

• Martin Pearson

July 26, 2009 at 10:42 pm

Yer but did you check the timing belt Phill ? I always do when I buy a second hand car, which is all the time :lol1:

• John Thomson

July 26, 2009 at 11:11 pm

just take the warning bulb out……..most likely a faulty warning system.

there are few mechanics for modern cars……..just ‘ technicians ‘ who replace parts that the diagnostics software tells them to.

john

• John Childs

July 26, 2009 at 11:17 pm
    quote Phill:

I’ve been working on cars since I was a teenager – I enjoy it – it’s my hobby.

That’ll be the difference between us then Phill.

I did seventeen years in the motor trade and got heartily fed up with it. Customers always whingeing about how much they got charged for a "two minute" job was just a minor irritation that I used to get on a daily basis.

Nowadays I won’t lift a bonnet unless I have to.

• Phill Fenton

July 27, 2009 at 10:15 am

It’s booked in to get checked out on Wednesday. I phoned my local garage and they said they could do a diagnosis without having to go to a main dealer.

• Harry Cleary

July 27, 2009 at 6:43 pm

I wonder could they tell me why the exhaust on my 206 gives me trouble Phil
    😀 😀

• Nicola McIntosh

July 27, 2009 at 7:15 pm

:lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

• Phill Fenton

July 27, 2009 at 7:38 pm

You’re not taking this seriously enough Harry – I think I can detect a bit of mickey taking going on now :lol1: :lol1:

• Martin Pearson

July 27, 2009 at 8:04 pm

Harry, you look quite sender in that picture (so I’ve been told :lol1: ) was it taken recently????

I can’t believe that a thread about a car warning light is now up to 6 pages :lol1:

• Peter Normington

July 27, 2009 at 8:15 pm

I wonder if its worth writing a book about it 😀

Peter

• Phill Fenton

July 27, 2009 at 8:20 pm
    quote Martin:

I can’t believe that a thread about a car warning light is now up to 6 pages :lol1:

You’re missing the point Martin – this thread never was just about a warning light. This thread is a metaphor for improving your life. It has been running on many levels and is full of advice and hints to improve a persons well being and to strive for perfection and peace in a confusing and often aggressive world. I would suggest you re-read the entire thread again from start to finish and contemplate it fully to appreciate the many layers of advice and deep meaning within 😮

• Harry Cleary

July 27, 2009 at 8:33 pm
    quote Phill:

quote Martin:

You’re missing the point Martin – this thread never was just about a warning light. This thread is a metaphor for improving your life. It has been running on many levels and is full of advice and hints to improve a persons well being and to strive for perfection and peace in a confusing and often aggressive world. I would suggest you re-read the entire thread again from start to finish and contemplate it fully to appreciate the many layers of advice and deep meaning within 😮

Yeh, that’s all very well….but what about my exhaust problem?? 🙄 🙄 😀 😀

• Phill Fenton

July 27, 2009 at 8:48 pm

The Bottom line is 🙄 … you’ll just have to shell out £65 like the rest of us to get a full diagnostic

• Nigel Hindley

July 27, 2009 at 9:02 pm

Harry has given me a new perspective on this issue and I think I may have a bash myself and do a bit of probing under the bonnet!

• Peter Normington

July 27, 2009 at 9:36 pm
    quote Nigel Hindley:

Harry has given me a new perspective on this issue and I think I may have a bash myself and do a bit of probing under the bonnet!

I think you need to look in the boot 😀

Peter

• Nigel Hindley

July 27, 2009 at 10:08 pm
    quote Peter Normington:

quote Nigel Hindley:

I think you need to look in the boot 😀

Peter

– That’s the thing with these modern types Peter, they dont care where you put it, some like it in the front some in the back and others are mid engined! 😀

• Martin Pearson

July 27, 2009 at 10:28 pm

Yes I have read the whole thread Phill and realise it is indeed full of wisdom and useful tips on how to get by. It has certainly made me sit down and reassess what I am doing in life and where I want to go but I didn’t think that it started out to do that. Silly old me just thought it was a question about a dash warning light.

Next time I am having trouble sleeping this thread will be the first thing I read 😉

• Phill Fenton

July 28, 2009 at 7:48 am

Well .. the plot thickens..

Last night at about 10pm we received a stricken phonecall from my daughter. She had gone out for the evening and when she had returned to her car to come home she discovered the car wouldn’t start. Alison and I dashed out to rescue her only to discover when we got there that the reason the car wouldn’t start was because she was unable to turn the key in the ingnition..

..and the reason she was unable to turn the key in the ignition was beacause the steering lock was on!!!

…"What’s a steering lock Dad?" she said 🙄

Honest – it really happened 😕

• John Childs

July 28, 2009 at 8:14 am
    quote Phill:

Honest – it really happened 😕

I believe you Phill.

During my time in the trade I came across many things like that. I should write a book. 😀

• Phill Fenton

July 29, 2009 at 2:24 pm

*** BREAKING NEWS ***** BREAKING NEWS ******

The warning light has been diagnosed as being caused by a faulty catalytic converter. This needs to be replaced.

….does anyone actually care though 😕

• John Childs

July 29, 2009 at 3:04 pm
    quote Phill:

The warning light has been diagnosed as being caused by a faulty catalytic converter. This needs to be replaced.

The MOT inspector might, next time it needs testing. 😀

• Phill Fenton

July 29, 2009 at 3:07 pm

What I meant was does anyone reading this thread actually care 😕

I’m getting it replaced because I was advised it would be an MOT failure.

• Harry Cleary

July 29, 2009 at 3:08 pm
    quote Phill:

Scenes of celebration around the world 😀 😀

• Harry Cleary

July 29, 2009 at 3:11 pm

Another one 😀 😀

Attachments:

• Phill Fenton

July 29, 2009 at 3:29 pm

And there’s more

And more
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnHksDFHTQI

• Warren Beard

July 29, 2009 at 3:45 pm

Is that the back of Harry’s head at the bottom right hand corner of the black and white picture 🙄 :lol1:

:thread:

• Chris Wool

July 29, 2009 at 4:41 pm

please say the lights out now 🙁

• Phill Fenton

July 29, 2009 at 4:50 pm

The light’s out – the new Catalyst has been fitted, and I’m £165 poorer 😕

• Nigel Hindley

July 29, 2009 at 5:26 pm
    quote Phill:

Told you that £65 would be a good investment!

• Chris Wool

July 29, 2009 at 8:14 pm

not bad phill only 8 pages to switch a light out 😉

so that’s £20 on the next 8 signs

chris

• Peter Normington

July 29, 2009 at 8:35 pm

Phil
    Main dealers are often cheaper when it comes to fitting om parts. They go by the book times, and have the set up to do it quickly, may be worth a phone call to ask how much they would have charged to fit a genuine CC? a pattern part (if thats what it is)could still fail the MOT.

Peter

• Peter Normington

July 29, 2009 at 8:43 pm
    quote Phill:

How do you know they just didnt take the bulb out and charged you for a new cc anyway? 😀

Peter

• Phill Fenton

July 29, 2009 at 9:14 pm

Y’Know – that did cross my mind Peter 😕 :lol1: :lol1:

• John Cooper

July 29, 2009 at 9:17 pm

They can switch off any warning light with their computerised diagnostics 😀

• Ivan Morley

July 30, 2009 at 11:48 am

If the warning light doesn’t appear when the ignition is turned, then that is an mot failure, although the MIL being permanently on is not an mot fail!