Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Vinyl 2000mm wide vinyl?

• 2000mm wide vinyl?

Posted by Chris Foster on April 11, 2010 at 7:55 pm

Are there any suppliers out there that supply vinyl 2000mm wide? I have had a customer contact me today wanting an area in his cinema room covered 2000mm x 2000mm with no joins. He wants it in gloss white and the material at the moment that needs covering is MDF but is happy to change for the right look. I have advised him to perhaps go for a large acrylic sheet but he’s concerned about the weight and how it is going to attach correctly so feels vinyl is the best / most cost effective way.

Can anyone advise on where and what type of vinyl I should be using to cover MDF?

Thanks

Jason Xuereb replied 14 years ago 10 Members · 15 Replies
  • 15 Replies
  • John Childs

April 11, 2010 at 8:11 pm

Not very constructive, I know, sorry.

But wouldn’t his boards be better painted?

• Chris Foster

April 11, 2010 at 8:18 pm

I did also suggest that but he wants a real deep gloss finish (ie – gloss white vinyl), and I dont think paint will give that kind of finish.

• Harry Cleary

April 11, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Is he planning to use a projector?
    If he is you can tell him to forget gloss anything….been there, tried that…..desperate reflection of the projector bulb and glare. Much better to use banner vinyl……I am somewhat proud of my adapted roller blind and cinema screen…..works brilliantly. 😀

• Matty Goodwin

April 11, 2010 at 8:30 pm

As Harry said, As John said!

Just to add to mix…Vinyl on MDF is a NO GO. It don’t stick…well for a few days it will…

• Chris Foster

April 11, 2010 at 8:49 pm

Its not for a projector! In short he has built a false fireplace with a 55" led screen in front of it. The whole room is gloss white / black so wants the same finish on the face of the fireplace behind the TV.

• Harry Cleary

April 11, 2010 at 9:03 pm

Sorry thought he was making a screen………..I’m still proud of mine though 😀

• David Rowland

April 11, 2010 at 9:23 pm

have done mdf with pva and then vinyl on top for a display, it worked and i see it often.

we done cinema room, however it was rushed. We have a world on the ceiling and matt laminated vinyl applied to foamex on ceiling (i think)
    Seems are nothin to worry about lol… u teach the customer.

• Peter Normington

April 11, 2010 at 11:35 pm

I concur with Mr Childs
    paint is the answer and offers a superior finish to vinyl if done properly.

Peter

• Jason Xuereb

April 12, 2010 at 7:40 am

What is that shrinkwrap material? they use it on kitchen cabinets a lot down here. The finish is like 2pac on cars. It’s so glossy and durable.

• Cheryl Smith

April 12, 2010 at 8:06 am

painted in a bodyshop….will get the finish of a painted car…lovely.

• Paul Humble

April 12, 2010 at 9:40 pm
    quote Jason Xuereb:

What is that shrinkwrap material? they use it on kitchen cabinets a lot down here. The finish is like 2pac on cars. It’s so glossy and durable.

Fablon?

• Lynn Normington

April 12, 2010 at 9:57 pm

no Paul when you you get bored and a bit quiet you print your own and re-do all your doors and draws with what ever you fancy 😀 do they still do fablon? I think my mum used to do the inside of draws and shelves and cupboards with it 😀

Lynn

• David Rowland

April 12, 2010 at 10:02 pm

i seen the kit for kitchen unit doors etc…very different process indeed

• Lynn Normington

April 12, 2010 at 10:41 pm

different how Dave (?) just print them same 😀

Lynn

• Jason Xuereb

April 13, 2010 at 2:04 am
    quote Dave Rowland:

i seen the kit for kitchen unit doors etc…very different process indeed

No idea about the process but the finish is pretty good. You know what its called Dave I’d be interested to know how its done.