Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions General Printing Topics 190micron semi rigid vinyl???

• 190micron semi rigid vinyl???

Posted by George Elsmore on May 4, 2005 at 12:04 pm

Has anyone ever prined and cut on 190micron semi rigid vinyl? I purchased some from hexis to produce some library headers that are all very dark print to stop the effects of shrinking/curling but am really struggling to get a good print and cut. Asked Hexis for a profile but was told that as its a fairly new product none are available

😮 😮 😮 😮

any help would be great or am wasting my time??

George

Ian Hatfield replied 19 years ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Cookster

May 4, 2005 at 12:30 pm

Hi, quite intrested when you say semi rigid. What is the product code of the material you are using? I have cut some similiar thickness materials on my cadet but it didnt make a very pleasant noise but did work.

As for the curling you are talking about have you tried laminating your print then cutting as this cures the problem and will increase the thickness?

Also what machine are you using to print with and what rip?

Joe

• Shane Drew

May 4, 2005 at 12:41 pm

Have you tried convex vinyl? It is fairly thick, prints well on my Roland, and does not curl at all. Meant for extreme outdoor applications like motorbike tanks etc. Should do the trick for what you require.

Cheers
    Shane

• George Elsmore

May 4, 2005 at 12:55 pm

Hi Joe, the vinyl is HEXIS HD3190 SEMI RIGID WHITE I am using a cadet with Roland colorip 2.2. I did eventually get it to cut but only on 270grm pressure and a double pass. The printing is the problem it is as if it has been smeared??

George

• Cookster

May 5, 2005 at 8:22 am

I am not 100% how the roland colorip works as i use Troop, but all i can suggest is to try printing using all the different profiles you have already in the rip. example, try it set to print on banner, 3-5 year vinyl, 5-7 year vinyl etc etc.

They all lay down different amounts of ink and i think that is the problem, it sounds like you are laying to much down. Not sure on the roland colorip but in troop you can manually change the percentage of ink layed down give this a try

Cheers Joe

• Ian Hatfield

May 6, 2005 at 1:32 pm

An Other option would be to print it on your normal vinyl and then overlaminate with a thick polyester or polyprop. This Is how I do that kind of job, ie cut floor graphics.

• Cookster

May 6, 2005 at 2:22 pm

Where abouts would you get the polyester / polyprop and roughly how thick is it?

Joe

• Ian Hatfield

May 6, 2005 at 3:03 pm

Hexis, Neschen and Allprint supplies do the materials. The thickness ranges from 90mic to 250mic. The polyester products are more rigid but more expensive. If you ask for a scratch reist popup overlaminate you should get the right sort of product.