Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions General Sign Topics 1220mm Application tape apply method – advice please?

• 1220mm Application tape apply method – advice please?

Posted by Gary Barker on January 28, 2015 at 10:41 am

Hi all how do you all apply 1220mm application tape ?

by hand ?
    by machine ?
    if machine which one ?

thanks all.

Gary Barker replied 9 years, 3 months ago 11 Members · 21 Replies
  • 21 Replies
  • Iain Pearson

January 28, 2015 at 11:46 am

It can be applied by hand using a dispenser (widely available on the interweb)
    1220 can be a little awkward for 1 person depending what your applying to so better with 2 persons.

Other way would be to use through a laminator machine in the same way a laminate/seal is applied to a print.

Hope this helps 😀

• Warren Beard

January 28, 2015 at 8:29 pm

as Iain said but there are some really cheap laminators on the market (even used ones) that will make applying tape really quick and easy and does it really well. Take the hassle, pain and time out of it and get a laminator.

cheers

Warren

• Gary Barker

January 28, 2015 at 10:54 pm

thanks guys I’ve got a laminator, but its pain resetting it up just to app tape a 3 m of lettering thats why I was asking what other people use.

• David Hammond

January 29, 2015 at 8:17 am

I’ve never had much success applying app tape with our laminator, yet we can laminate digi vinyl all day long without an issue.

I suspect we’re using too much pressure, and it creases the backing paper. When I get time I need to experiment and get it sussed.

• Bob Scullion

January 29, 2015 at 12:34 pm

Kick your shoes off and jump up onto your table, assuming you have a tape holder / dispenser for the application tape, pull the tape walking backwards and lay down gently, job done

• Gary Barker

January 29, 2015 at 12:38 pm
    quote Bob Scullion:

Kick your shoes off and jump up onto your table, assuming you have a tape holder / dispenser for the application tape, pull the tape walking backwards and lay down gently, job done

lol bob this is what I do, knees are getting old though maybe get a smaller bench to jump off 🙂

• Gary Birch

January 29, 2015 at 1:03 pm

We use our ezytaper to do it but I think it was Gill from William Smith that said she used to pull her app tape so that it was laid face up on the bench and then applied vinyl to it (face down obviously).

I can’t see any reason why that shouldn’t work.

• Warren Beard

January 29, 2015 at 9:10 pm

Just to clarify my post above, we have 2 laminators and the 1300mm wide one is used only for app tape, it comes with 2 mandrils so we have 1220 on the one and 610 on the other, takes 10 seconds to change and load and we crank the pressure on too and comes through perfect and nicely pressed. I can’t remember when last I saw any of my guys do it by hand because even a 1m piece is so much easier through the laminator.

Think about it.

Warren

• David Hammond

January 30, 2015 at 2:31 pm

Perhaps I should put the app tape on a mandrel rather than resting it on top of the machine (being lazy)

I should dig into my pockets and buy two more mandrels, but the price of them makes my eyes water. :yikes:

• Unknown Member

January 31, 2015 at 7:00 pm

Second Bob on his methods with this one!

• Martin Pearson

January 31, 2015 at 11:28 pm

I use a method similar to Bob, on the bench but rather than using a dispenser & pulling the tape off the roll to lay on the vinyl I put the application tape on the bench & push it along using another empty 1220 tube. Hard to explain so will see if I can find a video or something.

• Gill Harrison

February 1, 2015 at 2:19 pm
    quote Gary Birch:

We use our ezytaper to do it but I think it was Gill from William Smith that said she used to pull her app tape so that it was laid face up on the bench and then applied vinyl to it (face down obviously).

I can’t see any reason why that shouldn’t work.

Hi Gary
    Yes that would be me…..a method I never see when I’m out and about but for the 20 years I applied app tape that way (before using the Rollsroller). I applied miles and miles of 1220 app tape on 5metre long benches on my own without assistance, and on many occasions those lengths would be longer than 10 metres due to us then applying those lengths of applicated graphics onto huge flex skins taped put on the floors such as Carpetright, Halfords etc.
    The very first time I met Rob Lambie I showed him how "us Smith’s girls" applied app tape. Who needs a gym?.
    If you’re on my patch I can pop by to show you but I also know Rob said he was going to do one of his video demo’s but that’s going back a while now.
    By the way I can honestly say hand on heart that there was never any run off over those lengths.

• Robert Lambie

February 1, 2015 at 3:15 pm
    quote Gill Harrison:

[The very first time I met Rob Lambie I showed him how “us Smith’s girls” applied app tape. Who needs a gym?. Rob said he was going to do one of his video demo’s but that’s going back a while now.

Ahem… ahem… we did that video and actually sent it to someone on UKSB to help explain same. but no it wasnt loaded on UKSB but I will ask chris to see about doing that.

we have a list of videos to load as soon as the new isigntube video embed function is applied to this site. you will see in the "post box the youtube embed and video embed" the video embed is isigntube, just waiting on the code glitch being fixed. 😀

P.S.
    We will be sure to give you full credit Harrison…
    and if you are after Royalties too… you will need to have your people speak to my people. 😉 :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

• Martin Pearson

February 1, 2015 at 6:54 pm

Phill & myself were in some of your early videos, can we get Royalties to :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

• Robert Lambie

February 1, 2015 at 8:38 pm
    quote Martin Pearson:

Phill & myself were in some of your early videos, can we get Royalties to :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

The Police confiscated those ones Martin. But be sure you both will get all thats due to you… :shake: 😉

• Martin Pearson

February 1, 2015 at 10:01 pm
    quote Robert Lambie:

quote Martin Pearson:

The Police confiscated those ones Martin. But be sure you both will get all thats due to you… :shake: 😉

Oh good news then, free food & accommodation for the foreseeable future :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

• Phill Fenton

February 2, 2015 at 11:19 am

I’t wasn’t me – honest guv (puppy-eyes)

• Gary Barker

February 2, 2015 at 12:41 pm

thanks everyone for the input, bought an Ezy Taper (used) will give that a try.

• Robert Lambie

February 2, 2015 at 12:51 pm

The ezy-taper should do it no problem Gary. Make sure it is setup correct and has a dedicated mounting area for it.

on a side note, I have some old videos you may be interested in, if you would like to buy some copies? a few faces you may recognise in them too! 😉 :lol1:

• Gary Birch

February 3, 2015 at 1:19 pm
    quote Gary Barker:

thanks everyone for the input, bought an Ezy Taper (used) will give that a try.

I think you will find it a handy tool. Let me know if you have any problems.

Cheers

Gary

• Gary Barker

February 4, 2015 at 12:21 am
    quote :

on a side note, I have some old videos you may be interested in, if you would like to buy some copies? a few faces you may recognise in them too! 😉 :lol1:

buy some copies (puppy-eyes)

a few faces you may recognise in them too! emmm sounds scary not I sure want to see now can i see a preview 😀

gary