Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Off Topic Chat 10,0000 then and now 12,000 registered users!

• 10,0000 then and now 12,000 registered users!

Posted by John Childs on July 31, 2008 at 9:00 pm

Well, nearly.

9991 at the moment, so it won’t be long.

That’s some achievement. Well done Rob.

😀 😀 😀 😀 😀

Robert Lambie replied 14 years, 6 months ago 16 Members · 39 Replies
  • 39 Replies
  • Graeme Harrold

August 1, 2008 at 10:40 pm

Only 2 to go…………..9998 at the moment……………

• Peter Normington

August 1, 2008 at 10:45 pm

Will there be a prize for number 10.000?

if not there should be..Peter

• Robert Lambie

August 1, 2008 at 10:58 pm

even when we get there guys i still need to approve them… 4/10 arent successful these days. but saying that, its better than 7/10 registrations failing like they did a few years back. 😀

• Steve Bird11

August 1, 2008 at 10:59 pm
    quote Peter Normington:

Will there be a prize for number 10.000?

if not there should be..Peter

Yes i agree peter….If grafityp would care to donate a roll of vehicle wrap vinyl then i’ll sign up again tomorrow! nudge nudge.

• Robert Lambie

August 1, 2008 at 11:02 pm

No prizes im afraid folks… 😕

• Steve Bird11

August 1, 2008 at 11:06 pm
    quote Robert Lambie:

even when we get there guys i still need to approve them… 4/10 arent successful these days. but saying that, its better than 7/10 registrations failing like they did a few years back. 😀

How does that work with the vetting of applicants then Rob? why so many rejections? Dont get me wrong i’m not knocking it as it’s prob for the good of everyone in here. just curious i guess! good to see that your not just doing it to line your own pockets like other sites i’ve used in the past. (no not the smutty ones either) lol

• Lynn Normington

August 1, 2008 at 11:08 pm

it would be nice if the 31 guests joined in as well, instead of just looking 😛

Lynn

• Nicola McIntosh

August 1, 2008 at 11:16 pm
    quote Lynn:

yeh that would be nice lynn 😉

nik

• Harry Cleary

August 1, 2008 at 11:18 pm
    quote Lynn:

Lynn

As the actress said to the bishop!!!! 😀 😀 😀

Well done on the numbers Rob.

• Nicola McIntosh

August 1, 2008 at 11:29 pm
    quote Harry Cleary:

:lol1: :lol1: i always say ‘as the wifie said to the soldier’….it works everytime too 😀

nik

• Robert Lambie

August 1, 2008 at 11:35 pm

Steve, when i started the site 7 years ago, i just wanted UKSB to be that bit different mate…
    whilst other sites around the globe were scrambling for ANY sort of visitor contributing ANY sort of content. I decided to try my best to go for:
    "quality over quantity".
    This site gets slated on a regular basis by many sign websites for our level of moderating… however, that doesnt faze me one bit…
    the stats of UKSB more than doubles each year, in fact, 2007 tripled the traffic of 2006. that in itself tells me people are more than happy with how things are run around here. even if it bugs the odd individual… i am not going to keep everyone happy.
    The funny thing is, all those sites that take a pop at us are now ALL following suit in many ways… :lol1:

Anyway, back to your question…
    History hs taught me a million and one ways to spam/scam a forum. bogus registrations mean "no thought or care behind what is being said/posted"
    Put a real name, a face, contact details and address and suddenly the poster becomes a little more conscious about what he or she is saying.
    policing these posts to make sure they keep to board rules or the possibility of a site ban for the individual. keeps allot of what go’s on in order. to date, i think we have banned about 12 sign makers… that’s not bad going over 7 years!

i was inspired by the letterhead movement many years ago while browsing the net and wanted something similar in the uk. this is where i came up with the idea of the UKSG, the sign makers buying group… even though the letterheads movement has nothing to do with a buying group or modern day sign making.
    the boards was just a place for us to hang out, but quickly developed into Europe’s leading sign community.

allot of new changes are coming to the site… benefiting all our visitors.
    it will be interesting to see how the new areas prove amongst us.

😀

• Graeme Harrold

August 1, 2008 at 11:35 pm
    quote Nicola Rowlands:

quote Harry Cleary:

:lol1: :lol1: i always say ‘as the wifie said the the soldier’….it works everytime too 😀

nik

Ye can leave the soldiers out of it…….. :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: well for at least another 18 months!!! (not that Im counting)

• Shane Drew

August 2, 2008 at 3:23 am
    quote Robert Lambie:

Steve, when i started the site 7 years ago, i just wanted UKSB to be that bit different mate…
    whilst other sites around the globe were scrambling for ANY sort of visitor contributing ANY sort of content. I decided to try my best to go for:
    “quality over quantity”.
    This site gets slated on a regular basis by many sign websites for our level of moderating… however, that doesnt faze me one bit…
    the stats of UKSB more than doubles each year, in fact, 2007 tripled the traffic of 2006. that in itself tells me people are more than happy with how things are run around here. even if it bugs the odd individual… i am not going to keep everyone happy.
    The funny thing is, all those sites that take a pop at us are now ALL following suit in many ways… :lol1:

😀

Rob, I for one, agree 100% with your forum model.

I joined up originally because of the level of moderation. I watched from the sidelines for a fair while, conscious that so many of these industry forums are not all they are cracked up to be, and fall short of achieving anything worthwhile.

After much observation, I was impressed that the standard was maintained in a fairly consistent manner, and reasonably even handed. Certainly there have been exceptions to the rule, but on a whole, most of the core group understood the level of commitment you have to the site, and are happy to work within the boundaries you have set.

Over the years I’ve been here, we’ve seen some come and go, some have been unreasonable in their expectation, and some have cried foul a few times. Its unfortunate, but a fact of life. I have expressed a view a few times that the moderation was probably excessive, but I realise that its not an easy thing for volunteers to police a site, and run a business, and take the flap that some felt compelled to throw their way.

Personally, if I’m not comfortable in a group, I’ll move on. Some threads here I disagree with, quite strongly in some cases, but its in no ones interest for antagonism, aggression and disagreement. I simply don’t take part in the discussion. Of course if the discussion gets out of hand, you step in and lock the forum. If that’s censorship, then its not a bad thing.

There is no good benefits from each other being at each others throat. That’s why moderation is good.

Personally, I’ve learned heaps from others here, and I hope others have learned from me, but a community, any community, is only as good as those that contribute.

Whilst I congratulate you mate on a fine site, and on the pending 10,000th member, some credit also need to go to the members that help make your dream come alive.

Well done to you, and everyone here who have been a part of the sites success.

I think, having been invited to more forums than I care to count, since being a regular here, this place is definitely a quality site, with a quality group of contributors.

I’ll be honest, I’ve taken up a few invitations in the past. Some are good but don’t take kindly to the aussie humour, others are nothing short of a schoolyard rabble.

End of the day, UKSB’s is like home. It comfortable, warm and inviting. What more could you ask?

Well done again mate.

Shane

• Duncan Wilkie

August 2, 2008 at 3:50 am

This the best moderated forum, I’ve come across. Rob is consistent and fair. The content and resources available are second to none.
    I co-administer a small forum site and I know you can’t please everyone. I don’t know how many hours you devote to your board Rob, but I know it is considerable.
    Thanks for making this site available for us all and maintaining an entertaining, informative and safe place to visit.
    :thumbsup:

• Phill Fenton

August 2, 2008 at 10:34 am

As I write this I see the count stands at 9999 so the 10000 member is imminent 😀

Well done Rob – this is a great achievement and deserved success for all your hard work. Not only that but you also hold down a full time job running your own successful sign business and provide employment for others.

The buying group is a stroke of genius. My business has benefited greatly from being a member and for that alone I thank you.

I agree wholeheartedly with the level of moderation that is used on this forum. I think we’ve all seen how a reasonably well run site can degenerate into a rabble when there is no moderation of the views expressed. This is another reason for the success you have made of this site.

Well done Rob and keep up the good work :yeeha:

• Derek Heron

August 2, 2008 at 12:21 pm

ile second that
    :appl:

Derek

• Graeme Harrold

August 2, 2008 at 1:30 pm

Me three…… :thanks2:

Only been on here a short while, but have benefited no end from the support I have recieved and hopefully given out. Moderation rules as far as Im concerned otherwise this would be a free for all and quickly spiral out of control. Well done Rob on creating this bit of sign heaven.

:cheer: :dance1: :dance2: :praise1: :praise1: :dance2: :dance1: :cheer:

• Phill Fenton

August 2, 2008 at 5:13 pm

Congratulations Keith Horten – Registered user no. 10,000 :clap2:

• Graeme Harrold

August 2, 2008 at 7:53 pm

WoooooooooHoooooooooo 10000 members fantstic Rob

:funky: :pink: :breakdance: :dance2: :cheer: :dance1: :thumbup2: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :yeeha: :shoot3: :wow:

• John Childs

October 7, 2009 at 3:13 pm

And now, a mere fourteen months later, only three more required to hit the twelve thousand. 😀

• Martin Pearson

October 7, 2009 at 3:43 pm

only one now, John. Think I could register again and be number 12,000 :lol1:

• John Childs

October 7, 2009 at 3:47 pm
    quote Martin:

only one now, John. Think I could register again and be number 12,000 :lol1:

I though you were number 2 Martin.

Jedi Knight and all that. 😀

• Harry Cleary

October 7, 2009 at 4:15 pm

Should we have champagne and streamers and banners ready for no 12,000? 😀

• John Childs

October 7, 2009 at 4:37 pm
    quote Harry Cleary:

Since when did we need an excuse for a party? 😀

• Harry Cleary

October 7, 2009 at 4:43 pm
    quote John Childs:

quote Harry Cleary:

Since when did we need an excuse for a party? 😀

true! 😀

pint and one of these cheesy nibbles?? 😀

• Robert Lambie

October 7, 2009 at 4:55 pm

2 more to go, afraid one didn’t make it. 😉 :lol1:

• Karl Williams

October 7, 2009 at 6:01 pm

So what was so interesting on this day then?

Most users ever online within a 5 minute period was 637 on Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:09 pm.

• Karl Williams

October 7, 2009 at 6:14 pm

I know now…….it was when you had the UKSG nude calender……everyone came on to see Mr. Normington with a sheet of Oracle vehicle wrap hiding his
    crown jewels!

• Peter Normington

October 7, 2009 at 9:41 pm

Will there be a prize for the 12000th member?

I seem to remember wining 100 squibs for posting the millionth post or something like that.

Peter

• Martin Pearson

October 8, 2009 at 12:18 am

Well if there is then there won’t be any point in me re-registering, even if I did win something on here I would never get it 😉

• John Childs

October 8, 2009 at 7:55 am

Cracked it.

Welcome aranki.

😀 😀 😀

• Gary Birch

October 8, 2009 at 8:03 am
    quote John Childs:

Cracked it.

Welcome aranki.

😀 😀 😀

Have you nothing better to do John :lol1:

• Robert Lambie

October 8, 2009 at 8:11 am

:lol1: YIP… Nader Aranki is the 12,000th Registered user! 😛

• John Childs

October 8, 2009 at 8:58 am
    quote Gary Birch:

Actually, yes, plenty to do.

And, when I can summon up a bit of enthusiasm, I’ll do it. 😀

• Gary Birch

October 8, 2009 at 11:23 am
    quote John Childs:

quote Gary Birch:

Actually, yes, plenty to do.

And, when I can summon up a bit of enthusiasm, I’ll do it. 😀

I know that feeling all too well 😀

• Shane Drew

October 11, 2009 at 11:27 pm

great news. Imagine if we all turned up to sign UK for the meet and greet :lol1:

• David Rowland

October 13, 2009 at 6:40 pm

you could run a sign uk…. sadly most seem quiet

• Shane Drew

October 13, 2009 at 10:01 pm
    quote Dave Rowland:

you could run a sign uk…. sadly most seem quiet

sydney sign show in 2 weeks. I’m going down for the day. Be interesting to see how well it is attended in light of the economic situation

• Robert Lambie

November 3, 2009 at 12:14 pm

well that’s less than a month since we hit 12,000 and its up another 103 registered. that’s pretty good going seeing as i think we have had only about 15 unsuccessful registrations in that time.

there is not another sign website on the Internet with as many registrations, never mind proper completed registration as we have here on uksignboards.com.. so thank you everyone… great going!

now all we need is for them to begin posting and this place would burn up! :lol1: