Activity Feed Forums Vinyl Cutter Discussions Roland Cutters what are peoples thoughts on a warranty for Roland SC545ex?

• what are peoples thoughts on a warranty for Roland SC545ex?

Posted by MartinDenton on October 14, 2006 at 10:18 am

We have the 545ex which has just run out of warranty.Roland are quoting anywhere between £1349 – £3149 vat per year for extended warranty.

Does anybody have experience of the warranties versus long term reliability offer advise on which option to go for ?

appreciate any comments / feedback

Cheers
    Martin

Simon.Johnson replied 17 years, 8 months ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Chris Wool

October 14, 2006 at 11:09 am

its down to how confident you are at fixing it as it cost big bucks to have roland out to the machine and what inks you are using.

mine is coming up to 4 years old and i have just fitted its 2nd black print head and has had about 10 pumps in its time.

all in all i think they are very reliable but there will always be the problem machine.

chris

• MartinDenton

October 14, 2006 at 12:21 pm

Thanks Chris,

i am fairly okay with most things, can strip a computer down put new mboards in etc without too many bits left over.

How complex is the changing of print-heads / pumps and what does it cost for the components, are they readily available from Roland or do you have to wait a bit if not under warranty.

Would i be right in thinking that they are pretty much a ‘plug in’ components, is there much work involved in resetting up the printer afterwards?

load of question’s I know, but they would help me make a sensible decision

• Chris Wool

October 14, 2006 at 12:31 pm

changing a pump about 10 mins easy.

changing a head requires a lot of forthought and mechanicly quite easy but the setting up seams to go on for ever. and uses loads of ink.

do not atempt any thing on this machine with out the workshop manual.

always be extra nice to the service guy when me comes whilst under warranty. and get his phone no.

just go slow and sure

chris

• MartinDenton

October 14, 2006 at 12:42 pm

Thanks Chris

how do you go about getting the workshop manual?

• Chris Wool

October 14, 2006 at 12:54 pm
    quote :

always be extra nice to the service guy when me comes whilst under warranty. and get his phone no.

send me a email via my website

chris

• Tim Knight

October 18, 2006 at 6:57 am

Hi Chris,
    I would like to get a copy of the manual too, or purchase it.
    I could not find your email address

thanks
    tim

• Martin Forsyth

October 25, 2006 at 10:53 am

My Versacamm SP300 has just run out of warranty, I think it is about £900 for an extended warranty.

I too am considering whether it is better to not bother, and face each problem if and when it occurs?

Does it have to be Roland you call out, or are there any independant people who could do servicing repairs at a lower cost??

• Simon.Johnson

November 1, 2006 at 11:18 pm
    quote Martin Forsyth:

My Versacamm SP300 has just run out of warranty, I think it is about £900 for an extended warranty.

I too am considering whether it is better to not bother, and face each problem if and when it occurs?

Does it have to be Roland you call out, or are there any independent people who could do servicing repairs at a lower cost??

Martin,

You can take a warranty direct with Roland for around £700.00 on an SP-300 and I believe can also pay this monthly on a direct debit to spread the costs but you should check if there are any conditions on this as your warranty has already expired.

As to whether to or not – it’s a simple business question. A warranty is an insurance policy – it guarantees you a call out time and a fixed cost, no matter what, if anything goes wrong. If you don’t have a warranty you can still have exactly the same engineer visit and fit exactly the same parts but you pay the actual cost at the time and you take pot luck when he can fit you in. Do you typically need to send jobs out within 2 or 3 days of order and how much of your mortgage won’t be paid if the printer is out of action for 2 weeks? These question’s will determine your answer.

If the printer is key to your business, don’t even think about it, sign the direct debit mandate now.