Activity Feed Forums Vinyl Cutter Discussions Roland Cutters Versacamm sp540 take up system?

• Versacamm sp540 take up system?

Posted by Dan Osterbery on April 29, 2009 at 1:23 pm

hello all,
    does anybody have the take up system for the versacamm? was it expensive? Does it work? Where did you get it? any input appreciated!

thanks

Dan

Gary Birch replied 15 years ago 7 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • John Dorling

April 29, 2009 at 1:50 pm

I have one for my VP-540. Yes it was and yes it does! Cost about £1100 but works very well and is indispensable when printing off large orders of banners or wraps. Obviously it cannot be used for cut jobs. Mine came from Perfect Colours when I bought the machine.

Hope this helps

John

• Dan Osterbery

April 29, 2009 at 2:07 pm

Hi John, does it not flow both ways for cut jobs??? I didnt know that! I think i want one as recently we have been done prints over night (for the last three nights they have gone wrong (either stuck together or dragged along the floor). Can you print with the roll up system, then unroll laminate and then cut??

cheers

Dan

p.s. that price is a lot cheaper than i am being quoted over here!!

• John Dorling

April 29, 2009 at 2:39 pm

The take up reel is not linked electronically in any way to the cutter. It has a ‘dancer’ bar that takes up the slack in the media, and when it feels the media is going slack (i.e being fed out by printer) it winds the roll up. It cannot be used for cutting operations at all, as it does not have the ability to let the media back off the roll. If laminating I usually take the roll of print off the take up reel, run it through the laminator, put it back onto a reel and then run through the versacamm again, but any large volume sticker jobs are cut and printed in batches which I find gives a more accurate cut and allows me to take a batch off the machine before it starts dragging on the floor.

I know what you mean about jobs sticking together and getting covered in dust and fluff from the floor – it’s a nightmare! I wasn’t going to have the take up system because of the cost, but it’s probably paid for itself with money that could have been spent re-printing jobs.

John

• Frank Horner

April 29, 2009 at 2:41 pm

Dan,
    I know someone that had one for sale, don’t know if they still have it. I will send you their details when I get home later. I think they wanted £700 ish.

Frank

• Dan Osterbery

April 29, 2009 at 2:43 pm

Thanks john, I have had the printer for 3 years, I don’t know if I’ve been lucky, but until recently it hasn’t really been a problem, but at the moment i cant seem to print more than 2.5 I’ve with out dramas!!

thanks again

Dan

• Dan Osterbery

April 29, 2009 at 2:44 pm

cheers frank!!

• Unknown Member

April 29, 2009 at 10:14 pm

Hi,

Contact Chris at Radecal I know he was importing these a while back and selling them for about £650-700….he likes to have a deal so offer him alittle less than his asking for….he will often accept.

Ive posted his ebay store link, its worth a try.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Radecal-Machin … nd-Service

Many Thanks

• Gary Birch

April 30, 2009 at 3:43 pm

Dan
    I have had one of these shown to me by an engineer. As soon as I get some spare pennies I’ll be investing.

http://www.takeupdevice.com

Cheers

Gary

• Dan Osterbery

April 30, 2009 at 3:56 pm

once again, thanks gary!! Thats looks like a winner and nearly 1500€ cheaper than what they can offer me here!! cheers mate

regards

Dan

• Nigel Pugh

April 30, 2009 at 9:01 pm

I met a supplier today at the show who does a take up for the VersaCamm that will allow print & cut work to be done, hopefully we will be getting one in a few weeks to check it out and see if it works like he said.

• Simon.James

April 30, 2009 at 10:01 pm

I am actually sat by my versacamm at this very moment running 30 metres onto the take up roll, I have had the sp300 for about 6 weeks and still struggling with the roland fitted take up system.

the material roll always tend to come away from the flangers after about 4 – 5 metres. the little screw up tightners on the side are about as much use as
    an ash tray on a motorbike.

i personally think that the take up roll is far to high up the machine giving the material to much of a chance to kink up and eventually fold.

tonight i have tried putting the media core through one of the back rollers and I seem to be having a lot more luck I am now on about 10 metres out of 30 metres with no real problems at all.

compared to the mimaki I think the Roland is more of a print and watch machine, where as my Mimaki Jv3 was more of a print and go to bed machine.

still the roland is a lot more cost effective on warranty and cheaper to run when comes to buying in ink!.

ANY TIPS OR COMMENTS ON BETTER TAKE UP ONTO THE ROLL MOST APPRECIATED.

PS. ALSO has anyone got any tips on running customer supplied Pdfs through Versaworks, we are finding the versaworks PDF interpreter to be a pile of pants compared to our shiraz package or even our £199 soft rip package. 50% of our files supplied in are falling over, any tips would be great!!!!!

Simon

• Dan Osterbery

May 1, 2009 at 8:31 am

this post just keeps getting more interesting! Could you keep in contact about that please hugh? Any ideas of a price range??

regards

Dan

• Gary Birch

June 22, 2009 at 2:02 pm

Dan
    I don’t know if you have this sorted yet but I got some last week from where I mentioned earlier http://www.takeupdevice.com .

Although I have only used them on banner and vinyl I am well impressed and more than happy.

It does make me wonder why or how I managed without a take up device before.

Cheers

Gary