Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers SP300v head problems, looking for an engineer near to Tamworth…

• SP300v head problems, looking for an engineer near to Tamworth…

Posted by Dan Giddings on September 11, 2018 at 12:14 pm

Hi all,
    Where do I start!
    We purchased a used printer last week from a sign shop that we found listed online, advertised as good condition, perfectly usable and just been serviced with a new head recently. Selling due to upgrade.
    I’ve used printers for a couple of years but haven’t had to maintain one, I’ve been using a friends.
    Upon getting the machine back here, all is not what it seemed.
    Print quality awful and the machine is a mess underneath the heads.
    The magenta/yellow head looks to have damage which coincides with the huge missing chunk on the test print for both colours. The black has many missing nozzles, cyan is great.
    It’s had multiple head soaks and manual cleans over the past week before I discovered the head damage (initial torch wasn’t bright enough for me to see it).

So, now I’m looking for an engineer who can advise and hopefully change the yellow/magenta head and have a look at a couple of other issues I’ve found.

So basically, I think we’ve been had with this machine.

I’ve attached the test prints and image of the yellow magenta head.

Can anyone recommend an engineer local to me that may be able to help?

Thanks for reading!

Attachments:

Dan Giddings replied 5 years, 8 months ago 4 Members · 27 Replies
  • 27 Replies
  • Stafford Cox

September 11, 2018 at 12:49 pm

This happens far too often unfortunately. That M/Y head definitely needs replacing as you say. I’d also start by replacing the K damper on the other head and maybe even the cap. Depending on your budget, I’d recommend at least 1 head, 2 caps and 4 dampers and see where you are from there.

Stafford

• Dan Giddings

September 11, 2018 at 12:56 pm

Thanks Stafford, I’ve seen some of your posts and was hoping you would reply.
    I spoke to Roland this morning who suggested a massive figure to replace the head, they suggested sourcing an engineer from elsewhere. Am I right thinking these are the DX4 heads in this machine?

• Stafford Cox

September 11, 2018 at 1:24 pm

Yes, they are. 1000002201 from memory.

• Stafford Cox

September 11, 2018 at 1:24 pm

Roland list price is £724.99 + VAT each.

• Stafford Cox

September 11, 2018 at 1:25 pm

We may have some ‘previously enjoyed’ ones from demo machines if they’re of interest?

• Dan Giddings

September 11, 2018 at 1:30 pm

Absolutely, sadly the budget has taken a big hit with this machine so I would be interested

• George Neagu

September 11, 2018 at 2:05 pm

Hi Dan,

Did you buy it from the famous auction site? If yes, what’s the seller’s ID? Or at least fiest for characters.

Coincidentally I was looking at the same machines SP or VP series and they where described the same. But a bit of research on the seller on internet revealed similar user experiences so I stopped to have a thought.

Cheers

• Dan Giddings

September 11, 2018 at 2:11 pm

Hi, it was originally found on there yeah but the sale was direct. Wish it was done online as I would have some come back at least!

• Dan Giddings

September 12, 2018 at 1:32 pm

Did you manage to find any Stafford?

• Stafford Cox

September 12, 2018 at 5:24 pm

Yeah, we had 4 come in from a machine last week. I think 1 is spoken for already though.

• Dan Giddings

September 12, 2018 at 5:57 pm

Great, what cost am I looking at for 1 of them to replace my M/Y head?

• Stafford Cox

September 12, 2018 at 9:21 pm

I’ll have to check how good they are tomorrow but usually around half price, £350.

• Dan Giddings

September 12, 2018 at 9:27 pm

Thanks, let me know. Definitely interested.

• Dan Giddings

September 14, 2018 at 9:16 am

Also let me know how I would go about paying you if you have one that’s suitable

• Stafford Cox

September 15, 2018 at 11:00 am

Sorry Dan, I’ve just not had chance to check them what with show preparations and breakdowns. Probably best to speak with Lucy in the office on Monday as I’m off up to the NEC now and won’t be back until late Friday.

Sorry
    Stafford.

• Dan Giddings

September 15, 2018 at 11:44 am

Thanks Stafford, how do I get in touch with Lucy?

Cheers

• Chris Wilson

September 15, 2018 at 1:51 pm

Hi dan,

Atlantic tec is the company your looking for I believe. Am not sure is Stafford is allow to say due to forum rules. (Hope I’ve not got it wrong haha)

• Dan Giddings

September 15, 2018 at 1:54 pm

Brilliant, Thankyou!

• Stafford Cox

September 15, 2018 at 3:13 pm

Thanks Chris. Yes, you’re right on all counts. (I hope this is OK, mods?)

• Dan Giddings

October 11, 2018 at 9:15 am

So, time for an update!
    2 replacement heads later and I’m on the right track I think. I’ve fixed the issue the machine had with cutting using marks, that’s sorted now and working as it should.
    Black in now good, magenta and yellow are good. Cyan is missing a nozzle or two but compared to how the heads were before it’s like a different machine.

I’m experiencing a little banding on magenta, could this be that I haven’t fully aligned/calibrated it? I have run the procedures and done the work to adjust where needed but with it being the first time I have done this it’s possible that it could need a little more.

The black/cyan head was barely held in, the screws were loose when I came to remove it and upon removing it fells to pieces in my hands.
    I can safely say this is the most attention this machine has had for many, many years.

• Stafford Cox

October 11, 2018 at 9:51 am

Yes, most likely calibrations. What calibrations have you done and in what order?#

Stafford

• Dan Giddings

October 11, 2018 at 9:59 am

From memory I did bias, horizontal, vertical. Possibly another one. Without my service manual I’m going from memory.
    I followed the manual for the end procedure of the head change so the order will be whatever is in the manual which I can check shortly.

Edit, bias, vertical, horizontal, bi directional is the order I did them in

• Stafford Cox

October 11, 2018 at 10:09 am

Have you tried the normal user calibration for feed?

• Dan Giddings

October 11, 2018 at 10:12 am

I haven’t. I assume I don’t need the service menu for this and it’s in the user level menu? I’ll give it a try later if so.

• Dan Giddings

October 13, 2018 at 8:32 pm

Here is an image of the user calibration. Although I’m unsure what I’m looking for with this one…

Attachments:

• Stafford Cox

October 14, 2018 at 6:43 am

Looks about right to me.

• Dan Giddings

October 14, 2018 at 7:46 am

Thanks. I ran a bias test print again last night and the bottom part of the lines for magenta side are ever so slightly over to the right, and I mean ever so slightly, almost nothing. I may strip it down and see if I can adjust to get it perfect and see if it helps the banding