Activity Feed Forums Vinyl Cutter Discussions Graphtec Vinyl Cutters SignJet Pro JX1060 help !!!

• SignJet Pro JX1060 help !!!

Posted by Donnie Warren on August 6, 2009 at 9:43 pm

I have a JX1060 that I bought new years ago. It has not been used very much. All was working well until the other morning. When I started it up to finish a job, I got the "Y Position" alarm shut off and start again message. Any help on how to resolve this problem would be very appreciated.

P.S. When F4 is pressed to set up to cut reflective, it does fine & will cut the reflective vinyl, but it will not work when pressing F1, F2, or F3 to setup for the standard vinyl.

Also, if anyone has a copy of the owners manual that can be emailed, I would greatly appreciate a copy.

Thank you for your help !!!!!

Graham . Shand replied 13 years, 9 months ago 5 Members · 15 Replies
  • 15 Replies
  • Chris Wool

August 6, 2009 at 10:08 pm

the y alarm is normally the silver cross bar wants cleaning and the felts in the carriage want oiling.

to my knowledge the service manual was a paper based item and cost me £50.

the system will not set up with reflective as the refection is confusing the eye that reads the roller position

oh and welcome but who are you, we normally like our new members to introduce them self’s first.

chris

• Peter Normington

August 6, 2009 at 10:12 pm

Hi Donnie
    You may get a better response if you introduce yourself first,
    I cant answer your question, but others may be able to,
    It is only polite to get to know people before picking their brains,
    Would you walk into a bar and ask a question without an introduction?

Sorry I was wrong, Chris will help,

Peter 😀

• Chris Wool

August 8, 2009 at 9:14 pm

so that was a waist of time then 🙁

• Donnie Warren

August 10, 2009 at 2:16 am

Sorry for not introducing myself & for taking so long to get back to the forums, but I just got back in town from vacation.

My name is Donnie Warren as you have seen, I’m 39 y/o (about to be 40) and I am from North Carolina in the US. I use to run my sign business full time when I purchased my SignJet, but went to sales and retired my sign business for awhile. I was recently laidoff and decided to get it back out & start working with it again and this is when I ran into my problems. I have done signs off & on for about 15 years & truly enjoy it. All that I do & have done is strictly vinyl.

I have browsed the website and I like it very much. It seems to have lots of helpful info & lots of helpful people as well.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome !!!

• Donnie Warren

August 10, 2009 at 2:17 am

P.S. Will try your fix tomorrow Chris and thanks for the suggestion.

• Chris Wool

August 10, 2009 at 11:14 am

in that case sorry for the short reply, hope you stick around so we can make use of some of your experience

chris

• Donnie Warren

August 10, 2009 at 12:55 pm

Hello again Chris,
    I cleaned the silver bar & oiled the felt on the carriage, but still have the same problem.
    When the carriage starts across the vinyl to the left, when it gets the the end of the first (long) roller(coming from the right), you can hear the sound of it change & then it continues all the way across to the left & then the Y position alarm goes off.
    Do you or anyone else have any other suggestions??? It just seems like it should be something very simple, but I just can’t figure it out.

Thanks again !!!

• Chris Wool

August 10, 2009 at 1:35 pm

the reason the bar and felts need to be oiled is that in the ink carriage are bronze bushes and get dirty and stick to the long silver bar. causing a power overload.
    the felts are there to wipe the bar clean so to stop the dirt building up in the bushes.
    switch the machine off and check for free movement by hand.

chris

• Donnie Warren

August 10, 2009 at 3:47 pm

I don’t use the inks at all, so the ink carriage never moves. I only use it as a cutter.

As I said earlier, if I push the F4 button at start up, it recognizes the vinyl & goes across the vinyl & back to its starting point, but then it will not cut anything, unless I have reflective vinyl loaded.
    If I press F1(Roll 1), F2(Roll 2), or F3(Sheet) at start up, it goes all the way across to the left side & then the y position alarm sounds. I have cleaned everything very well and oiled the felt on the cutter carriage. It’s like it quits recognizing the vinyl when it get to the media sensors.

You don’t by chance have an owners manual (not the service manual) do you???

• Colin Crow

August 10, 2009 at 3:58 pm

First I would say I don’t have one of these but surely the clue is in the reflective setting. If the head doesn’t have to read the roller positions in this mode (although I would think its reading the vinyl edge if the reflective is the problem) then it does sound sensor related. I am guessing either a dirty or faulty sensor, possibly resulting in an overrun of the head?

Have you tried cutting normal vinyl in the reflective mode after changing the settings accordingly?

Colin

• Chris Wool

August 10, 2009 at 4:54 pm

you may be on to something colin now he says he does not use the print carriage
    just to the side of each pinch roller is a is a chrome strip which the head reads to define the cutting area. but not sure what F4 does to the readings.
    i did years ago replace one strip with a bit of chrome vinyl as damaged it cleaning.

chris

• Donnie Warren

August 10, 2009 at 5:24 pm

Colin,
    Yes, I have tried to cut regular vinyl while in reflective mode, but it will only cut about a 3" line straight back.
    Just can’t figure out why the sensors work in reflective mode, but not in regular mode.
    May have to find someone local that can service it for me. You and Chris have given excellent support and with quick responses and any other suggestions you may have, I will surely try.

Wish graphtec support was as quick as you guys are !!

• Graham . Shand

September 6, 2010 at 5:02 pm
    quote Chris Wool:

you may be on to something colin now he says he does not use the print carriage
    just to the side of each pinch roller is a is a chrome strip which the head reads to define the cutting area. but not sure what F4 does to the readings.
    i did years ago replace one strip with a bit of chrome vinyl as damaged it cleaning.

chris

Chris, hope you are well, I am looking for some advice please , and apoligies for I hi-jacking this tread, I have just bought an old but well maintained GRAPHTEC SIGNJET JX1060 PRINTER CUTTER to dip my toe into the magical world of printing, the chap I bought the printer/cutter from told me that the cartridges need to be primed using a ? but he could not recall the name of the tool, can you shed some light on this, I assumed that after drawing the ink through from the bulk feed with a syringe that was it…… but apparently not . any help would be much appreciated, Regards Graham Shand

• Chris Wool

September 6, 2010 at 5:20 pm

found it just to show you what it is.
    http://www.globalprintsupply.com/produc … 266&page=1

the btm of the bulb fits on the print head.
    so unclip the cart squeeze the bulb slightly fit to head and release the squeeze. this draws a bit of ink in to the head workings. clip the cart back in.

i will say again as a cutter its fantastic as a printer slow and awkward

enjoy

• Graham . Shand

September 6, 2010 at 5:33 pm
    quote Chris Wool:

found it just to show you what it is.
    http://www.globalprintsupply.com/produc … 266&page=1

the btm of the bulb fits on the print head.
    so unclip the cart squeeze the bulb slightly fit to head and release the squeeze. this draws a bit of ink in to the head workings. clip the cart back in.

i will say again as a cutter its fantastic as a printer slow and awkward

enjoy

Chris, thank you for your advice, much appreciated, regards Graham Shand