Activity Feed Forums Vinyl Cutter Discussions Roland Cutters Setting up pnc 1860 with my laptop.

• Setting up pnc 1860 with my laptop.

Posted by James Beavon on February 8, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Hi.

ive recently bought a laptop, to connect up to my plotter pnc 1860.

i currently use it on an ancient pc tower running win 98 out of its serial port.

So now im using a usb ( at the computer end ) as there are no serial ports on laptops or new pc.

ive bought a USB to serial cable which connects the two devices, and installed the driver for the cable.

In the device manager the cable properties says its on COMM 3 so i set my software ( signgo ) to use COMM 3.

aaaannnndddd……it doesnt work. does anyone know what im doing wrong or what im missing here.

cheers

James Beavon replied 13 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • James Beavon

February 8, 2011 at 6:31 pm

just thought i would add im using windows 7.

ive tried loading the driver for the pnc 1860 ( off their website ) but it says its not compattable with this version of windows.

however in signgo it has the option to select my plotter so i imagine the driver is included with signgo. ive never had to install drivers before, using my pc ( win 98 )

ive a feeling i cannot use my cutter with windows 7 at all.

• David-Foster-

February 8, 2011 at 7:52 pm

It is probably the USB to serial cable. The best ones are Keyspan adapters. I have one that works but I prefer using my old XP desktop for plotting, just seems rock solid. You can run Windows XP virtually on Windows 7.

• Martin Pearson

February 8, 2011 at 9:04 pm

James, it may well be a driver issue it is difficult to say. What sort of serial to USB adapter did you buy?? There are basically 2 types with different chip sets used in their production. Most of the better quality adapters use a FTDI chipset and this is the one that you want. I would imagine the ones David has mentioned have this chipset but don’t know for sure.

• James Beavon

February 9, 2011 at 2:49 pm

well to be honest i bought a cheapo one from off ebay for £3.

i thought a cable is a length of wires, obviously not eh.

will try the keyspan FTDI cable.

• Martin Pearson

February 9, 2011 at 3:53 pm

James, it’s a bit more than a bit of electrical string with a different bit on each end :lol1: :lol1:

From what I have read and been told the FTDI chipset is much better for stuff like plotters, Graphtec tech support told me that was the one I needed.

• David-Foster-

February 9, 2011 at 4:00 pm

It is not just a cable, it is an adapter with chips inside 😉

If you get the keyspan or similar as Martin says, you will still need a serial to serial cable as well.

Attachments:

• Martin Pearson

February 9, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Not strictly true David, you should be able to get a USB to serial adapter with a male or female connection.

• David-Foster-

February 9, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Sorry Martin, I was just referring to the keyspan that I have. It just uses the serial cable that comes with the plotter that would have connected to the serial port of a PC.

• James Beavon

February 16, 2011 at 6:34 pm

OK.

just bought a keyspan from amazon.

computers harddrive died today as well and i had to use my old / old computer. good job i keep my old computers.

really need to switch to laptop.

ill update this thread with result when it gets delivered.