Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers Roland Versacamm SP-300V vs. VP-300

• Roland Versacamm SP-300V vs. VP-300

Posted by Oliver Holmes on June 12, 2008 at 11:47 am

Hello,

Can anyone tell me what the differences are between these two machines. I have worked out that the VP cuts quicker, but that’s about it… Surely there must be more differences?

Also, which of the two machines would you recommend?

Many thanks, Oliver.

JamieX replied 15 years, 12 months ago 8 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Jason Xuereb

June 12, 2008 at 12:28 pm

VP is quicker it has 4 heads
    SP is slower it has 2 heads

Were talking about printing.

I’d honestly say if your getting a printer consider a 54 inch printer even if its the SP540.

• Shane Drew

June 12, 2008 at 12:34 pm

I’d go the VP as well. Get the latest technology if you can.

• Mike Grant

June 12, 2008 at 10:47 pm

I think the VP have a take up roller that the SP doesn’t.

• Jason Xuereb

June 12, 2008 at 11:53 pm

Down here at least the take up rollers are still an option.

• David Rogers

June 13, 2008 at 1:19 am
    quote Jason Xuereb:

VP is quicker it has 4 heads
    SP is slower it has 2 heads

Were talking about printing.

I’d honestly say if your getting a printer consider a 54 inch printer even if its the SP540.

Have to agree there – I’d be cursing myself if we just had a 30". It’s true – whatever you get you’ll need something bigger at some point….going bigger to start with might help reduce that frequency!

Dave

• Simon.Johnson

June 13, 2008 at 8:41 am

If it helps you, the VP and SP 300 series both run the same inks and media, have the same output resolutions and therefore both can produce exactly the same type of work Think of the VP-300 is an engineering update to the SP-300 which offers the end user more speed and offers Roland a lower manufacturing cost and an easier machine to maintain long term.

As to which you should buy: Both machines are still available new but you really should go for the newer VP series as this gives you better prospects longer term regarding production speeds and support.

I would agree with the comments that you should look at 54" rather than 30" unless you really are tight for space or budget, or unless you have a niche market (labels?) where 30" is fine.

• Oliver Holmes

June 13, 2008 at 9:06 am

Thank you all for your advise. At present I am only looking at creating small graphics for motorbikes, jet ski and karts. Unfortunately I don’t think I can stretch to the 54" versions but with my current business model I don’t think I’ll need anything bigger than the 30" in the near future. I am also limited for space.

From what you guys are all saying it’s looking like I’m going to be getting the VP. Now I’ve just got to work out where is the best place to get it from. Any suggestions? I’m after a good price, but support is equally as important as price!

• Jason Xuereb

June 13, 2008 at 11:27 am

You’ll want a laminator as well for bike graphics.

• Oliver Holmes

June 13, 2008 at 2:46 pm
    quote Jason Xuereb:

You’ll want a laminator as well for bike graphics.

How did you know that was going to be my next question… What laminator would you suggest?

Many thanks, Oliver 🙂

• David Crocker

July 3, 2008 at 3:48 pm
    quote Holeshot:

Thank you all for your advise. At present I am only looking at creating small graphics for motorbikes, jet ski and karts. Unfortunately I don’t think I can stretch to the 54″ versions but with my current business model I don’t think I’ll need anything bigger than the 30″ in the near future. I am also limited for space.

From what you guys are all saying it’s looking like I’m going to be getting the VP. Now I’ve just got to work out where is the best place to get it from. Any suggestions? I’m after a good price, but support is equally as important as price!

May I say, even tho’ you’re not looking at or cant afford to goto 54", I would advise to save some pennies and get the larger machine.

When I bought my 30"Versacamm it was only for (aside from printing) cutting out small amounts of vinyl and yes the 54" was not needed at the time. In hindesight tho’….big mistake. I seriously wish Id gone for the 54" now.

Even tho’ you intend to do small work, there will undoubtably come a time when a customer asks for something bigger. Of course the 30" will do the same as the 54" but having a bigger machine means you can do bigger things in one sweep rather than having to tile a piece of work to 30" sections.

Im looking around to buy a 54" and hopefully part X my 30" or sell it outright to make up the shortfall of a loan or whatever finance I use to buy the 54".

Recently Ive had customers asking for larger banners than the 30" ones I do at the moment. It breaks my heart to out-source the work when i couldve done it myself.

cheers
    Dave

• JamieX

July 4, 2008 at 6:17 am

I would recommend the 54′ aswell. It retains its value a lot more (in our market ayway) than a smaller printer plus it will allow you to take on more work. Without our 54′ we would not be able to do bike wraps, do large banners for teams and expand the business.