Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers Roland SP540i about to buy pre buying questions…

• Roland SP540i about to buy pre buying questions…

Posted by Gareth Howells on November 6, 2010 at 12:52 am

hi all, im new to this forum so forgive me if im asking some silly questions…

this will be the first wide format printer we have ever purchased.
    a friend of mine has a roland vp540 and we wanted to buy one of those. we have since found out that these were discontinued.

after calling several suppliers i was convinced a roland print and cut machine would suit our needs best.

most suppliers are pushing me towards a roland sp540i. i am reading alot of forum posts with mixed reviews on this unit.

we are going to be printing mainly outdoor vinyl, indoor birthday banners and stickers etc. aswell as attempting some vehicle wraps and stickering in the future….

if you could give me your thoughts on this it would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

Gareth

Gert du Preez replied 13 years, 8 months ago 12 Members · 19 Replies
  • 19 Replies
  • Paul.Gardner

November 6, 2010 at 8:08 am

Gareth, i have the 30" model of that printer sp300i. it is not the fastest versacamm as it only has 2 printheads but unless you need a fast high output it wont be a problem, You will be able to do all the jobs you mentioned, also the printer software (versaworks) is very easy to use, you will be up and running in no time, and the printer is very economical on ink.

Paul

• Gareth Howells

November 6, 2010 at 1:23 pm

hi paul thanks for letting me know. i went to see one in action a week ago and it seemed great especailly with me not having much experience in this field. just after reading and researching the vp540 seems to be a better machine but a 3k saving seems to be a better option.

thanks again

• Matt Boyd

November 7, 2010 at 9:49 pm

i wouldn’t recommend going for any 30" machine if you can stretch to a 54"….you’ll be kicking yourself 6 months down the line on a 30" as your very limited to sizes you can do without tiling etc. if you can afford or stretch to a 54" go for it, i know alot on here will agree with me on that one!! we got the vp540i back in the summer and love it.

• Gareth Howells

November 7, 2010 at 10:13 pm

hi matt, yes definetley will be a 54" machine. id really like the vp540 but cant seem to source one. well robert horne had an ex demo but wanted way too much for it. i understand this model has been out for 2 years or so? or am i wrong therE?

im thinking an i, im aware of the speed difference with the vp540 but to begin we wont need the extra speed. however id like to buy something that will be fine still in a couple of years hence me looking for a new machine with full warrannty

what would you suggest ?

thanks

gareth

• Ben Hansen

November 7, 2010 at 11:23 pm

Hi Gareth, ive been doing graphics and vinyls for 6 years now and recently bought my first new SP540i about 8 months ago. The printers great and running fine. Although i did have a few headaches to start, but that was down to heat and the storage of the materials, but iv sussed that now. The only thing i wish it did now, is print a little faster!! for me, as a starter machine, its great.. but i have had a few jobs now where i wish it was a little quicker! hope that helps 🙂 🙂

• Matt Boyd

November 7, 2010 at 11:30 pm

to be honest go for the best machine you can find within your budget. remember though, if your getting a printer you’ll need a laminator also, that’s important if your doing outside or vehicle graphics etc. there are lots of good machines out there for good prices, and i know this forum gets a discount with certain company’s out there.
    i was looking at the new hp and a couple of other machines but decided to go for a roland as i know there solid and reliablee machines.

• Neil Speirs

November 7, 2010 at 11:32 pm

sp :no1: vp :yes1:

:sales: contact Malcolm at signmaster, top bloke

• Nigel Pugh

November 8, 2010 at 9:28 am

Roland no longer supply the VP model, the choice is now the SPi and the VS models, the latter been the printer offering white and metallic ink options if required.

• Adam Ross

November 8, 2010 at 12:23 pm

I bought my SP540i back in april from signmaster. Been a great machine for me and unless you really need the extra speed which if it is your first machine I am guessing you don’t then it would be an excellent machine for you.

• Gareth Howells

November 8, 2010 at 5:24 pm

thanks for all the advice. i already spoke with malcolm at signmaster a week or so ago. have to say the price quoted wasnt the cheapest. the price from signmaster was £9999+vat for an sp540i, as against mc link which is more local to me anyway quoting £8900+vat then a continous ink system for £290 . this comes as new with warranty , training installation etc. the guy from mc link even arranged for us to see one in action… i think its a no brainer really to go with this deal but just wondering has anyone else dealt with them before?

but i think the thing stopping me putting pen to paper is me holding out for a good deal on a vp540, i know i know discontinued but surely an ex demo one somewhere with a nice price tag may be just around the corner.

Decisions decisions…. 😕

• Nigel Pugh

November 8, 2010 at 7:10 pm

If it comes with a bulk ink system then surely you will be using 3rd party inks………Roland will invalidate the warranty, I would check this with the supplier before you commit.

• Jason Davies

November 8, 2010 at 8:58 pm

Why discontinue the VP and not the SP surely the VP is the better machine?

I would also give a thumbs up to Malcolm and his team, outstanding support and knowledge.

Jason

• Peter Normington

November 8, 2010 at 9:36 pm

Gareth,
    whoever you buy from looking for the cheapest is not the best way to go.
    You need to consider the back up and warranty you will get, if things go wrong.

Signmaster have a good reputation, as does Grafityp, and others I could name.
    so you will pay a bit more, but at least you have the assurance that if things do go wrong, a reputable company will have the resources and do their best to put things right

Peter

• Gareth Howells

November 8, 2010 at 10:36 pm

ok chaps i couldnt agree more on the aftersales and warranty but ive been led to believe that most, if not all printer shops/business are using bulk ink systems? i mean how else will this be profitable? perhaps i am wrong, thats the good thing about getting on here for all the advice i suppose, many thanks by the way to all who have contributed. very much appreciated. i called malcolm at the end of today but i think i missed him so they will call me back tomorrow. dont get me wrong im not trying to skimp on paying for a good machine but 1000 pounds is a big difference in prices to anyones pocket surely…

i will see what malcolm can do but the reason i thought mc link was a good bet is they are on roland registered partners list. the guy seems ok, keith his name. but anyone trying to sell something is nice… haha also with mc link being in preston and im in liverpool… this is only a 20 min car hourney whereas the other suppliers are much farther afield so how would they give me better warranty??

this is getting a bit like buying a car! something else ive just found out i need to replace! aaargh

thanks again 😉

• Peter Normington

November 8, 2010 at 10:50 pm

Gareth
    if you buy a new machine, and go for third party bulk systems, you are running a gauntlet,
    the ink is actually a small percentage of the overall cost of producing a square m of print, it only becomes relevant if you are producing many metres per day.
    stick with oem inks if you buy a new or nearly new printer, then no arguments with warranty issues, if in the future you start to produce larger quantities, then maybe third party will be cost effective, but there are pros and cons

Peter

ps check your pm’s

• Adam Ross

November 9, 2010 at 9:13 am

I went through the same thing when I bought my versacamm, and I see you have already mentioned that you are not sure how it will be profitable using genuine inks.

If you are wondering that you may need to make sure you get a copy of the sign price it guide. This will ensure that you are charging correctly for your prints.

Also do you have sufficient work for this machine ?

I use only genuine inks and have found that it is very profitable and I would probably not do as much printing as 90% of the people on here.

Compare what you save on the bulk inks to having to start replacing parts with no warranty.

I also cannot peak more highly of Malcolm and all at signmaster.

Hope this helps

• Martin Pearson

November 9, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Gareth, I don’t own a solvent printer for a number of reasons so as far as what machine to buy or what inks to use I can’t help but I do know enough having read lots of threads on this forum to know that if you are buying a new machine then you want to make sure you keep the warranty and not risk losing it by running third party inks.
    There have been people who have switched inks at the end of their warranty because they were going to take a chance and not renew it but from what I have read they have all run genuine inks in the machine up untill this point.

As for profit I would suggest that your pricing needs to be looked at if you think you will not be able to make a profit running genuine inks. I don’t get asked for digital print much and as a solvent machine needs to be run constantly but when I am asked I can still quote a job and make money even after buying the print in from a trade printer. OK maybe not a lot but still something.

Not trying to be disrespectful but it might be a good idea for you to sit down and work out where the work is going to come from and what you need to be charging for it. You may not make as much profit but it might be an idea to keep buying your digital prints in untill you have built this side of the business up a bit. If you know someone that already does solvent printing speak to them and work out a price per metre which you are both happy with.

• Elena kalispera

November 9, 2010 at 3:41 pm

i had terrible headaches but most the people here were right to suggest a lot is to do with user error.. my machine is like brand new now with warranty still left and bulk system and take up roll machine. also comes with 10 litres of eco solvent ink.. also have a GMP 1400mm wide laminater and thousands pounds of stock im now selling the let if its of interest. u can check it out before also.. Either way these are great machines to start off with and have made me some good money

• Gert du Preez

November 10, 2010 at 11:59 am

Hi, Gareth,

I can only echo what others have said about OE inks.

I run both a SP540 and RS 640 Roland printers. I print on average about 300 square metre per month on the SP, 900 square metre on the RS.

If the "cost" of original inks was going to bother anyone, it would be me. And remember, I print at low prices to get bulk business.

The ink cost is no problem. If expressed as a % of the selling price of an average 1230 x 2460 mm sign, ink would be only 2 to 3 %. With the higher prices you charge in the UK, and slightly cheaper ink, I doubt ink would make up 1 % of your selling price. Even for bulk print only, ink is rarely more than 10 – 15% of the selling price.

@Jason: IMHO the SP is a better printer than the VP….I got the "old look" machine, and for 20 months now she’s been working an average of 5,5 hours per day, without a hiccup. I would gladly swop my much newer RS640 for a SP540…..
    The Roland engineer who came here to demo the new printers told me that NOBODY who owns either a SP 300 or SP540 EVER traded in their old printer when upgrading in Namibia. The VP’s they do trade in…wonder why??