Activity Feed Forums Vinyl Cutter Discussions Roland Cutters Roland CAMM-1, PNC-1000A. help please?

• Roland CAMM-1, PNC-1000A. help please?

Posted by NZBloke on April 6, 2010 at 1:55 am

After many months of helping charitable organisations out with at cost signwriting, it looks like the cutter may have died. The blade is moving back and forth, but the vinyl isn’t moving backwards and forwards. So it just cuts in one long line across the vinyl. Are there any drive belts etc…. inside? Or is it likely to be a drive motor gone? or could it be software related? It was working find for one job. Turned it off and started the next half an hour later and this is what started happening. Thanks for any help or advise. I appreciate it a lot. 🙂

Peter James replied 13 years ago 4 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Jim Kitts

April 12, 2010 at 7:59 pm

might as well take off all the covers, blow out the dust and look for paper clips, loose or burned wires and anything odd. It’s junk otherwise.

If nothing works, give it a calibrated smash and then try it.

best luck,
    jim

• NZBloke

April 12, 2010 at 10:13 pm

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I have looked at 2nd hand ones and don’t think I can afford it. So I will do what you say. I especially love the calibrated smash part… heh heh heh… Is that that technical term? 😉

• Jim Kitts

April 12, 2010 at 10:51 pm

of course! Even the fear of a calibrated smash will fix the more sensitive electronics.

Worked wonders on my Mother in Law.

When I was a lad I drove this old volkswaggon beetle and you had to get out and kick the fender to bring the left headlight back on after a big bump. So I just picked up my mother in law to be and as kind of an evil portent of what life would be like between us the lights went out. So without saying anything I stopped in traffic, got out and kicked the fender, but hit a bit low wearing steel toe work boots and smashed the light right out of the car leaving a pile of glass on the road. I didn’t say anything or let on this was at all out of the ordinary behavior for me, and that incident kept the peace between us for at least 2 years.

jim

• Rick Wiggins

August 25, 2010 at 12:10 am

Its been quite awhile since I’ve been on here…. but I also Have a PC-1000. And i even believe Mr Kitts was helping me before maybe a year ago.Anyway Something happened that took me off the thing along with a change of software that i didnt think would work. Well now i think it might and discovered something and want to give another try. Anyway I wish I could say you could have a motor of mine (parting it out) for yours for what little i put into it… and I do believe it still works… i think. But it’s a little early and i was wondering if you ever got yours to run or you know anything about getting the fine settings right to get it running.
    Anyway here are the settings i have on Flexisign 8.1
    BTW Mr Kitts…. I also had a few beatles with some interesting stories on running them rough. Like the winshield wiper moter that went out and i just took the radio out and for a year used my hand inside the dash to wipe the window. Or the time I was carrying a couple open boxes of golfballs in the back seat. I didnt know the back floor had fallen off when the boxes fell over and left a trail of explosive golf balls flying all over the tail end. Whooopeeeee!!!

Attachments:

• Jim Kitts

August 25, 2010 at 12:46 am

My unit worked well last time I tried it, but it was a bit of an ordeal to get it all to go. I don’t use Flexi and know nothing at all about it.

I encourage you to continue your quest using the esteemed Software Biblical Method (‘seek and you shall find.’)

Hopefully the angels on this site will come to your aid.

jim

• Peter James

September 6, 2010 at 7:07 pm

My PNC 1000a has just died also and having taken it to bits I found a scorched circuit board and a blown fuse.

Now I’m hoping that the scorching has taken place over a period of time, and did not happen all at once!

The fuse is a T2/250 and I belive the T stands for time delay/anti surge? is this correct for this machine as I do not have a manual etc?

The symptoms of my problem was the cut head not moving, so maybe you have a blown fuse also, but the other one?

• Peter James

June 12, 2011 at 9:23 am

Update on this.

I replaced those 4 scorched chips in the above picture, but still no go 🙁

When the unit is powered, normally the large fan whirls for a bit, then turns off, but this is not happening now. Looking at the service manuals circuit diagrams, it appears the fan is controlled by 1 chip, which also controls the motors, so my guess is that that chip has died. Roland no longer have any spares to effect a repair, so it is the end for this cutter 🙁

On the bright side, I have just ordered a Roland GX-24 🙂

• Jim Kitts

June 12, 2011 at 7:55 pm

that’s a ‘looking on the bright side’ solution.
    good luck!

• Peter James

June 12, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Thanks 🙂

I feel a bit like a kid on xmas eve waiting for it to arrive! 😀