Activity Feed Forums Vinyl Cutter Discussions Roland Cutters Re-connecting Roland CX500 cutter to PC – help please?

• Re-connecting Roland CX500 cutter to PC – help please?

Posted by Simon Worrall on January 30, 2015 at 8:36 pm

I have a 48" Roland CX500 cutter, more than ten years old now.
    This has been a legend, once it is set up nothing ever seems to go wrong.
    HOWEVER.
    Unplug the USB cable from your PC, and it’s a living hell to get it to work again.
    You have to remove the software, re-install it, restart the PC, and it is still hit and miss whether it will work…it usually takes about a dozen attempts to get the thing to plot again. re-install, re-start, try again…
    I keep getting the message "Cannot open port"
    Then, apparently at random, it works as if nothing had ever happened, and two hours have gone from your day.
    Does anyone have any tips, or – better still – knowledge of some third party software that will run the plotter – preferably from Illustrator.
    Thanks

Simon

Daniel Sissons replied 9 years, 4 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Chris Wool

January 31, 2015 at 10:07 am

Hi Simon

probably find that the port thinks its being used by something else and assigns the driver elsewhere
    if mac i not a clue
    windows. have a look at the driver properties and see what port has been assigned then look down the list to see if the correct one shows up the port name could be roland.

bit vague but may put you on the right track

IE the correct port for my graphtec is USB Virtual printer port graphtec fc7000

• Simon Worrall

February 3, 2015 at 6:53 am

Thank you Chris. The port it looks for is called USB 003, and it seems to recognise it, but still cannot open it. Wierd.

• Martin Pearson

February 3, 2015 at 7:13 am

Take it you have it running via a serial converter Simon, some are better than others & you are best off with one that uses an FDTI chipset. Although USB is suppose to be plug & play as Chris has said sometimes there are problems with the drivers. I run a graphtec FC4100 which is an old plotter, the USB port it is plugged into is set up as a virtual com port on both my laptop & desktop computers & that particular port on each machine is never used for anything other than the plotter plus I never plug the plotter into any of the other USB ports. Never had any of the problems you have experienced even with the laptop.

• Simon Worrall

February 3, 2015 at 11:57 pm

Martin
    There is a dedicated USB socket on the plotter, as well as a serial socket.
    If there is a serial/usb converter involved it is built in to the plotter and I have no access to it.

Simon

• Daniel Sissons

February 20, 2015 at 1:48 pm

If you are trying to run on Windows 7 , we have a CX300 that i had to program as a GX300 (new version) which they supply drivers for. Hope it helps