Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Off Topic Chat London Olympics 2012

• London Olympics 2012

Posted by Peter Normington on July 5, 2005 at 10:13 pm

So, with Blair and Beckham fronting the bid, do you really want the tax payers of GB to line the pockets of fat cats, on another loss loser?
    Answers on a Millenium dome only please.
    peter

Martin Cole replied 18 years, 5 months ago 22 Members · 61 Replies
  • 61 Replies
  • John Harding

July 5, 2005 at 10:17 pm

come on the brits bid, think of all those lovely olympic ringed signs we’ll all be making

john 😀

• Marcella Ross

July 5, 2005 at 10:26 pm

Call me cynical but if Blair isn’t handing over a backhander then we don’t stand a chance.
    the money spent on poncing about would be better off giving pensioners an increase on their pension!

If Beckham makes a statement the Olympic Committee will think Elocution Lessons should be a sport!

• David McDonald

July 5, 2005 at 10:30 pm

Many years off I know but collectively we sign makers will surely profit from such an event – albeit I suppose more concentrated on those of us servicing corporate customers. Advertising expenditure will increase massively – TV cameras everywhere – everyone wanting their logo, name, message plastered on everything and anything. And then we’ll get paid to take them all down when it’s finished

Macky D

• Lynn Normington

July 5, 2005 at 10:36 pm

that would be in an ideal world Macky dream on 🙄 some one will already have that stitched up ,we will all be lucky if we get a few crumbs, but I guess some crumbs are quite big

Lynn

• Iain Gordon

July 5, 2005 at 10:38 pm

Was thinking the same Lynn.

Cant see a lot of use for Olympic signage in Bradford

Iain

• Andy Gorman

July 5, 2005 at 11:11 pm

Oh I dunno Iain, they’ve got to hold the olympic whippet fancying final somewhere.

• Lynn Normington

July 5, 2005 at 11:13 pm

Didn’t know whippets were in the olympics I really must pay more attention to whats going on around me 🙄

Lynn

• Iain Gordon

July 5, 2005 at 11:19 pm

Hey Big G

Just coz Dewi hasnt been around for a couple of weeks dont mean to say you can pick on me 😉

I cant even remember the last time i saw a whippet.

Iain

• Andy Gorman

July 5, 2005 at 11:23 pm

Anyway, sod the pensioners – I want the Olympics! Yes I know, there are a million other things the money could be better spent on, but there are also completely pointless pursuits that are the spice of life. Like seeing who can chuck a stick the furthest or who can jump the highest using a big bendy pole. I’m not going to be travelling to mumbo bleedin’ jumbo land any time soon to watch it so I want to see it here at some point in my lifetime.

Anyway, it’ll really pis5 the French off if we get it.

Iain, sorry, until the OTHER northern jessie returns you shall bear the brunt of my northerner baiting. 🙂 Ya big woofter.

• Lynn Normington

July 5, 2005 at 11:30 pm

must admit it would be good to see it here at least we would get some new sports stadiums swimming pools etc. for our up and coming sports people and maybe we could get back on the ladder and develop some good sport people of which we are sadly lacking in this country i know we have a few very few

Lynn

• Carrie Brown

July 6, 2005 at 11:53 am

Its official ….. London it is 😀

• Jayne Marsh

July 6, 2005 at 12:00 pm

I for one am really pleased that the Olympics are coming to London, I think its great. What a wonderful opportunity to see to top class sport, we have a swimmer or two in our swimming club who are aiming for the next Olympics and I hope to be there to cheer them on. One has already qualified for the Commonwealth games next year in Australia, wish I could go and watch 😀

• Michael Lafferty

July 6, 2005 at 12:02 pm

I wasn’t to fussed where the Olympics went, but have been hoping for London in the last few weeks. Especially after Chiracs nonsense.

I better get in training, wonder which event I can enter.

Well done London !! 😀

Michael

• Debbie Astle

July 6, 2005 at 12:17 pm

Yes, well done London. I just better stay indoors for a few days till the locals stop sulking 😀

Debbie

• CAT

July 6, 2005 at 1:29 pm

London gets something again, not so long ago we midlanders were hoping the new national football stadium was going to be in Birmingham, or Manchester, what with easy access to the m6 and m1, and airports. Lets all move down south where things are going on, I think Mr Blair thinks England stops at the Watford gap. That’s my moaning for today of to pack my bags now, and pitch my tent on Hyde park, dam they are still cleaning up after that BIG concert they had. :hung:

• Nigel Pugh

July 6, 2005 at 1:33 pm

I’m glad we won it just to get one over the French, just one thing that spoils it all though.

That six letter name at the beginning of ****** Olympics 2012.

Just hope it’s a better success than that damm dome they built in ****** (hot)

• Andy Gorman

July 6, 2005 at 1:46 pm

I’m usually a cynical bugger on things like this but I refuse to get drawn into the negatives of the London Olympics. I think it’s brilliant, I love watching the Olympics and now I can go and see it in person without travelling half way round the World. It seems that it will result in some much needed urban regeneration in the city also, which can’t be bad.

I may enter….do they do Olympic whisky drinking?

• Marcella Ross

July 6, 2005 at 1:54 pm

‘I think Mr Blair thinks England stops at the Watford gap’

Well, he managed to remember Scotland at least but thats ‘cos the G8 attracts rent-a-mob…. who’d want that in London. Thanks Mr Blair, but even here in Cumbernauld we’re feeling the effects, local roads backed up (the main route to Perth goes through Cumbernauld) and Army helicopters are flying overhead.

But on the issue of the Olympics, I agree with you Big G, I do think it’s great, I just hate all the schmoozing that goes on beforehand that we have to fork out for. It will attract a lot of revenue which must be good. I’m sure I’ll do my utmost to travel south of the border in 2012!!!!

• CAT

July 6, 2005 at 2:00 pm

Marcella, bring your credit card.It will cost you a bomb.

• Marcella Ross

July 6, 2005 at 2:05 pm

Yeah, I bet. Prices for everything will sure inflate!
    I do love London, I’ve been a few times before.

• CAT

July 6, 2005 at 3:01 pm

Just been watching the pics on tv of the G8 summit,who’s paying for the security? That’s going to be one large bill. Your right Marcella Blair would not want this in London. In my view Scotland is used to try out stuff like this, remember the poll tax?

• Marcella Ross

July 6, 2005 at 3:15 pm

I remember the Poll tax fiasco well. I used to be in the police (hope I’ve not made myself really unpopular now!!!!), many moons ago, and I had the exciting job of keeping Tommy Sheridan and his mob at bay.

Still haven’t figured out what good the ‘scottish parliament’ can do. Take orders from down south perhaps! Collect money for them!

• CAT

July 6, 2005 at 3:57 pm

POLICE..oh my god, hide the contraband lads.No only kidding, what made you get in to signs if its signs you are in to that is.

• Phill Fenton

July 6, 2005 at 4:59 pm

I used to think at least the Scottish Parliament keeps some pompous fools in make believe jobs where they can’t do any real damage to our economy. That was before the twerps decided to ban smoking in public places and criminalise many law abiding citizens.

I don’t smoke – But I believe individuals should have a right to decide how to live their lives and run their businesses. Many publicans are up in arms about this and are genuinely concerned about their livelihoods being put at risk.

• Iain Gordon

July 6, 2005 at 5:03 pm

That was one of the reasons i decided to give up the pub game when i did.
    There are that many silly rules and regulations on the way in that in 10 years time there wont be any pubs open.

Iain

• Marcella Ross

July 6, 2005 at 5:44 pm

Got into signs by accident …… literally! Was in a car accident and was medically dismissed from the force. God knows how I ebded up doing what I’m doing but that’s been 10 years or so now.

Have to agree about the smoking thing Phil, I’ve never smoked and it drives me nuts, but a full out ban in public places isn’t the answer. It will no doubtedly affect pub and restaurants.

Anyway…. any issues we haven’t covered yet???????

• Peter Normington

July 6, 2005 at 6:06 pm

Glad we got it,
    But maybe for 2012 we should add a few new events?
    Any suggestions?
    Peter

• Andy Gorman

July 6, 2005 at 7:52 pm

100metre freestyle post office queueing?
    Council tax demand shredding half marathon?
    Full contact dominoes?

• Peter Normington

July 6, 2005 at 7:56 pm

thats the idea big g!
    More suggestions ?
    😀 😀

• Iain Gordon

July 6, 2005 at 7:57 pm

Dwarf throwing…….

Sorry Rob

Iain

• John Harding

July 6, 2005 at 8:11 pm

So now were official thats the title of this thread a bit out of date!

But has any of you guys got around to drawing a vector of the logo they’d like to share (?) I reckon we all need it now

John

• Andy Gorman

July 6, 2005 at 8:12 pm

I certainly think the Olympic logo should consist of at least 1 sobbing Frenchman. Just 1.

• Iain Gordon

July 6, 2005 at 8:13 pm

Drawing 5 interlocking circles cant be that hard John

Iain

• John Harding

July 6, 2005 at 8:22 pm

Iain – no but the wavy lines running thro it plus the text and the pub calling its easier if someone has alredy blagged it from somewhere! 😕

John

• Carrie Brown

July 6, 2005 at 8:23 pm
    quote John Harding:

So now were official thats the title of this thread a bit out of date!

I have just updated the thread title ….. hope no-one minds?

• Iain Gordon

July 6, 2005 at 8:29 pm

I mind, but then you are a Moderator and as such have all the magical powers of a God. Therefore i will bow to your superiorness before you banish me from your kingdom..

Just kidding Carrie, I dont think anyone will mind at all

Iain (bowing and scraping into a corner)

• Carrie Brown

July 6, 2005 at 8:39 pm

Awwww I would never banish anyone ….. The Kingdom of UKSB after all is all about help, peace, harmony, joy & pi$$ taking 😉

:lol1:

Iain seeing as you mentioned: “bowing and scraping into a corner” …… hmmmm possible olympic game??

😀

• John Harding

July 6, 2005 at 8:57 pm
    quote :

I certainly think the Olympic logo should consist of at least 1 sobbing Frenchman. Just 1.

couldnt post pic here so check posting titled for Big G and french lovers everywhere 😉

john

• Peter Normington

July 6, 2005 at 9:08 pm

How about a “pass the brown envelope relay”
    For contractors?
    Peter

• Debbie Astle

July 6, 2005 at 10:47 pm

I wonder how many French people realise that one of the main sponsors for the British Olympic bid was EDF – Electricité de France! 🙂

http://www.edfenergy.com/html/showPage. … a.news.til

Debbie

• Peter Normington

July 6, 2005 at 10:48 pm

Traitors!

• John Childs

July 6, 2005 at 10:59 pm

Well, I’m not happy about it.

The cost will go three times over budget and the taxpayer will end up bailing it out. I don’t want to pay for a lot of silly bu&&ers to run and prance about.

The only small people who will make money out of it are the plumbers/electricians/whatever who go on strike for triple pay as soon as the building work looks like falling behind schedule.

My newspaper will be full of nothing else for weeks or months before, during and after the event.

Anybody know the dates? I need to book a four week holiday in 2012.

🙁 🙁 🙁 🙁 🙁 👿

• Andy Gorman

July 6, 2005 at 11:18 pm

What about if they included “Shiniest Big Motorbike” as an Olympic event? Or “Beardiest Bloke”? You’d be interested then, wouldn’t you?

Ya miserable auld sod! 😀

• John Childs

July 7, 2005 at 12:15 am

“Ya miserable auld sod!”

Guilty.

Grumpy old man. 😀

• Robert Lambie

July 7, 2005 at 12:18 am
    quote johnchilds:

“Ya miserable auld sod!”

Guilty.

Grumpy old man. 😀

:lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

• Dave & Rob Lowery

July 7, 2005 at 9:13 am

Put logo in file swapping forum should anybody need it.

• Simon Clayton

July 7, 2005 at 9:21 am

Simon

• Dave & Rob Lowery

July 7, 2005 at 9:24 am

Going to France in 4 weeks in my van to collect furniture from the house I’m selling. Do you think it advisable to put the logo on the van doors?

• John Harding

July 7, 2005 at 9:36 am
    quote :

Going to France in 4 weeks in my van to collect furniture from the house I’m selling. Do you think it advisable to put the logo on the van doors?

:rofl:
    I dare you

• Lee Harris

July 7, 2005 at 2:28 pm

Go on I ‘double dare you’ 😀 😀 😀

• Dave & Rob Lowery

July 7, 2005 at 2:33 pm

Ok!
    Now two of you have dared me, i’ll do it and post a picture on the site of my van at the Arc de Triomphe!!!

• Lee Harris

July 7, 2005 at 3:38 pm

Why not go the whole way with a tee shirt as well. How about ”London 2012 – Paris 0′ 😀

Can any body come up with anything better.

• Dave & Rob Lowery

July 8, 2005 at 7:10 am

Anybody gat the Paris logo? I could put that on as well with a big red “NON” across it.

• Lee Harris

July 8, 2005 at 7:22 am

Have a look in ‘File Swapping’ Just put the Paris one there.

Lee

• Dave & Rob Lowery

December 15, 2005 at 2:59 pm

Update!!!

Went to France in my van and did the run down in one day, arriving at the house at 12 midnight. Next morning loaded van and headed straight back. Got near Paris but it was getting late and wanted to get near Calais. Now I did say that I was going to put the logo on my van but on checking the copyrite on it, I thought is better not to. So John and Lee had dared me to do it but I’m afraid I didn’t. BUT…what we did do was stop at a hotel in Arras, just north of Paris and went for our first decent meal in two days at a restaurant just nearby. In the restaurant when we arrived was a stag do in full swing and, where drinks involved, we got in with them. About halfway through the night, I used Lee’s idea and wrote on a napkin London 2012 – Paris 0, and held it up for them to see. My god!! They still had knives on the table!! But after they calmed down, they weren’t too bad about it but insisted that we help them get the 2106 games. My son used his phone to video this but it’s too big to put on the site and the quality is not the best but if anyone wants to see it, pm me your email address and I will send it to you. This was done 6 weeks after the dare so it has nothing, I repeat nothing to do with the riots in Paris, (I think).

• John Singh

December 16, 2005 at 12:50 am

Dave! You nutcase
    Nobody dared you that far
    We enjoy you on the boards
    That was nearly a funeral we were going to

…..would love to have been there at the party ….behind a curtain or something

• Shane Drew

December 16, 2005 at 6:41 am

That’s chicken feed dave, although I fell off my chair laughing at the thought when you realised that they still had cutlery :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: (my dad thinks I have just lost it 😕 )

I have a real dare…. Stand up at the boxing day test, on the hill at the MCG and yell out that the English are the best team at cricket in the world. …. knives would be the least of your problems 😛 😉

• Carrie Brown

December 16, 2005 at 4:09 pm

:lol1: Crikey Dave!!!

Bless ….. they probably thought you were a bit loopy hence the reason all cuttlery remained on the tables? 😉

• Dave & Rob Lowery

December 16, 2005 at 4:13 pm

Best of all what happend that night was that they were only drinking local wine so I showed the groom to be how we drink on our stag nights. Quadruple whisky, (scotch of course), to be consumed in one gulp.
    Poor barsteward didn’t get past two glasses and passed out on the table. 😀 😀 😀 Give them their due, they did invite us out afterwards to a local nightclub but thaought that it’s ok to to wind a dozen up but not a whole nightclub.. 😀

• Dave & Rob Lowery

January 31, 2006 at 4:19 pm

Put the video in the babble forum under “Video of that trip to France”

https://www.uksignboards.com/viewtopic.p … 887#130887

• Martin Cole

January 31, 2006 at 4:38 pm

They took that well Dave.

You sure that wasn’t a bar in Manchester!! 🙂