Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers Im Wanting To Buy a Versacamm SP540V? any recommendations?

• Im Wanting To Buy a Versacamm SP540V? any recommendations?

Posted by Deleted User on March 22, 2009 at 1:56 pm

Hi,

I am currently looking to buy my first print & cut, a versacamm and have been advised its better to go for a sp540v as the new vp540 has gone up in price by £2000! due to exchange rates etc.

so im wanting to buy a versacamm sp540v and the going price at the moment is £10.999 with extras i.e media pack etc.

this is a lot of money for me to be spending so i want to know im getting the best deal.

Any recommendations on where i should buy from?

Any help would be much appreciated

Deleted User replied 15 years, 2 months ago 8 Members · 23 Replies
  • 23 Replies
  • John Wilson

March 22, 2009 at 2:34 pm

Personally I’d go for the vp if buying new

You paying cash or HP?

• Chris Wool

March 22, 2009 at 3:38 pm

johns right

tell them you want a VP and to go and sharpen there pencil, several times.

chris

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    March 22, 2009 at 4:50 pm

I am wanting to buy cash although i am borrowing from my bank as i dont like the high interest charges that finance offers direct from the sellers.

i have heard the only main difference between the SP and the VP is that the VP is slight faster at printing, so i rather save on £3000 and buy the SP.

Apparently the VP has just been put £2000 which makes the SP in my opinion even more worth buying as the SP has not been put up on price.

Any idea anyone?

• John Wilson

March 22, 2009 at 4:58 pm

Slightly faster? It’s vastly faster since the update

And alot slimmer built

I bought the sp to save money and regretted it since

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    March 22, 2009 at 5:04 pm

The machine i buy will only have limited use as we are only a small sign making company there for speed does not make a differance as long as its not too slow also the slimmer build does not bother me either. i rather save on £3000.

so basically the SP540v is £11,000

and the vp540 is £14,000

and the only difference is the VP is faster and a slimmer build?

i was told that the VP was £12,000 which makes it worth buying but since they have put the price up by £2000 (due to exchange rates) this makes it not worth it at all compared to the SP.

What you think?

• Dan Osterbery

March 22, 2009 at 5:16 pm

i have an sp, and having seen the change in speed with the update of the vp -wish i had one! The vp is a later model, I personally always try to by the lastest technology. Im sure you can beat them up a bit and get a better price on the vp.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    March 22, 2009 at 5:19 pm

ok any ideas on where should i buy from and could get the best deal on either the SP or VP.

The print quality is the same on both models right? only differeance is cosmetic and speed?

Any help appreciated

• Jason Davies

March 22, 2009 at 5:55 pm

I would recommend you visit the sign show, the SP is not a patch on the VP, to begin you only have two print heads on the SP, it’s painfully slow in comparison and the print quality isn’t as good, not worth the £11K asking price in my opinion in todays market

Good luck and no offence meant to any SP owners.

Jason

• Dan Osterbery

March 22, 2009 at 5:55 pm

none taken :lol1:

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    March 22, 2009 at 6:36 pm

Why go to the sign show? I cant wait till sept to buy a printer. I think its a shame roland have put up the price by £2000 last month on the vp. I think for what im wanting the sp will do fine as a medium use machine. Im sure that the vp being released does not make the sp a not as good machine. The print quality of the sp should be the same as the vp, i still dont think the vp is worth the extra £3000 So were shall i buy from?

• Jason Davies

March 22, 2009 at 6:45 pm

Ali, the sign show is in a couple of weeks at the NEC and most of the major suppliers will be there, my advice and you can ignore it of course, is if you are going to spend £11K then what is an extra £2-3K on top for a machine that is far superior, the print quality is much better, hence the four print heads.

The SP is out of date, your probably better off buying a refurbished one than a new one, you will always regret wasting that amount of money when trade picks up with a digital machine.

Good luck

• Robert Lambie

March 22, 2009 at 6:50 pm

http://www.signuk.com is not months away, only a few weeks…

there are a good few suppliers out there… some deals in the discount shop area also…
    https://www.uksignboards.com/index.php?page=4

Europoint
    http://www.solventinkjet.eu/sitepages/r … dhome.html

Grafityp
    http://www.grafityp.co.uk/Printers/printers-Roland.htm

• Jason Davies

March 22, 2009 at 6:53 pm

Nice one Rob, there is a good deal on an ex demo SP in the UKSB section.

Jason

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    March 22, 2009 at 6:54 pm

I think ur right, its still a shame roland put the price up a month before i want to buy lol. Anyway do you think i would get a better deal if i buy from the sign show? When do you think is the best time to buy a vp? Do you think its worth buying second user?

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    March 22, 2009 at 6:56 pm

The ex demo sp in uksb section is sold, i tried yesterday

• Jason Davies

March 22, 2009 at 6:57 pm

Probably get a good deal like anything in this current financial climate especially if you are paying cash, certainly worth waiting for the show.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    March 22, 2009 at 7:02 pm

Who should i aproach at the sign show roland themself or a reseller?

• Simon.Johnson

March 23, 2009 at 10:50 am

Hi Ali/Jason,

To clarify, the Roland SP-540 is no longer available and so there will be no "New" machines available any more. There is no difference in print quality at the slowest, highest resolution settings between the SP-540 and the new VP-540, The print resolution, ink head type are both the same. The extra 2 print heads in the VP-540 allow it to maintain a higher print quality at the higher print speeds and to support print speeds that are not available on the SP-540.

It is very hard to finance second hand equipment so if you need to lease, the VP-540 may be your only option. A good second hand SP-540 will be very hard to find as companies don’t want to let them go but this would be a good option for a cash purchase.

An afterthought:

Don’t go to a trade show expecting to save money! Bargains are available all the time if you ask. It costs a huge amount to exhibit at a trade show and that cost can only be recovered from the attendees. In simple accounting terms, the cost of sale is much higher and, in these days of the Internet, how many new customers will really be taken on as a result of a show alone? Go to the show to attend some of the presentation to learn something new, to meet old friends or to get a feel for the market – if you then form a relationship with a new supplier that helps your business move forward, your visit will have been worthwhile.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    April 25, 2009 at 4:37 pm

Finally bought a Printer !

i have gone for a Roland SP540v.

It was a uniform cadet but in the price was a full roland conversion.

so i have a sp540v which came with full roland conversion, print heads, pumps, parts etc.

Full set of inks

some media and versaworks

full 12 month roland warrenty

a full service after 8 months included.

The roland engineer who came to do the conversion told me that the parts and labour are worth £3000 alone, and that with the conversion the machine is like a new machine.

Total cost £6000 + vat

Very Happy with the service and printer i have received.

• John Wilson

April 25, 2009 at 5:57 pm

Where did you get it from??

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    April 25, 2009 at 8:14 pm

Lettering systems unlimited based in Durham.

• David Rogers

April 25, 2009 at 9:31 pm

Glad you like your purchase – but every day for the last year (had mine 18 months or so) – I wish I had the newer VP…paying an extra £3k spread over the next few years for enhanced speed, less discernible banding (if any), actual firmware support from Roland etc. would be worth it.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    April 25, 2009 at 10:14 pm

The engineer even upgraded the firmware to latest version. For a first machine im very happy with it. So for a as new sp540 with the full warenty and support for near enough half price it was not worth buying vp540 and i dont even need finance.