Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers Help on USB to Parallel adaptor on Camm PNC 1100

• Help on USB to Parallel adaptor on Camm PNC 1100

Posted by Johnny Clingham on April 15, 2008 at 10:17 pm

Can any one help
    I want to run my Camm PNC 1100 from my laptop but it only has USB I have a USB to Parallel adapter can any one give advice will this work for me any advice on what is a solution any one got a driver all idea’s are welcome as i really want to use my Dell XPS for the design if not i have to go back to a older PC and i don’t really want to

Alex Pirozek replied 15 years, 8 months ago 7 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Andy Giddings

May 21, 2008 at 11:20 am

Hi Johnny,
    I originally tried to get my PNC-1100 running off my laptop via a usb to parallel connector but never got it working. I use signlab and it wouldnt recognise the usb port no matter what driver I used. I ended up having to use a parallel-parallel connector, luckily my laptop had a parallel port (its ancient!).

• Peter Dee

May 21, 2008 at 11:36 am

Johnny, I tried the USB/parallel route and then a cheapie USB/serial lead with no luck.
    I prefer serial as I get 2 way communication with the plotter.
    However, all was cured with a Trust USB/serial converter which comes with proper drivers and installer on CD (not a plain mini CD like the cheapie jobs).
    I now have full 2 way communication with my old Roland for £37.00 delivered.
    You can install the software on several machines then plug the USB lead in to whichever one you want to use.
    It provides a serial COM port which works exactly the same way as an integral COM port.
    This worked where another cheapie converter failed, as well as a PCIe serial card.
    See it here:
    http://www.dabs4work.com/ProductView.as … klinx=3F5G

• Colin-T

May 22, 2008 at 6:33 am

Hi there, you need to remember that the adaptor is emulating a Parallel port, so in device manager you need to make sure that it is listed within windows as LPT1 and not USB. Then you should use the standard driver for the Roland from there.

• David-Foster-

May 22, 2008 at 7:52 am

If you have a PCMCIA or Express Card slot in your laptop you can get a card to slot in which will give you an LPT Port or Serial Port. It’s not a converter it will be an actual proper port.

• Colin-T

May 22, 2008 at 10:38 am

I never thought of that! thats the ideal solution really isnt it……..

• Johnny Clingham

May 25, 2008 at 10:23 pm

Hi thanks for the suggestions i guess the dabs key span is the best solution i tried both cheap usb adapters also the PCI-e card as well they all failed
    so i will have to go down the Dabs route of getting the key span adopter the problem i have is i am using a Dell XPS 1710 with no Parallel port

• Johnny Clingham

May 25, 2008 at 10:26 pm
    quote Peter Dee:

Johnny, I tried the USB/parallel route and then a cheapie USB/serial lead with no luck.
    However, all was cured with a Trust USB/serial converter which comes with proper drivers and installer on CD (not a plain mini CD like the cheapie jobs).
    You can install the software on several machines then plug the USB lead in to whichever one you want to use.
    It provides a serial COM port which works exactly the same way as an integral COM port.
    This worked where another cheapie converter failed, as well as a PCIe serial card.
    See it here:

Hi Peter thanks for the info just one thing when you used that Key Span converter from dabs is there any unique settings i have to set up on the port also just a normal 25 to 9 pin cable will work to connect to the Roland cutter from the converter

• Peter Dee

May 27, 2008 at 7:57 am

Johnny, use the default settings other than setting "endpoints" to "high performance".
    Of course the COM port settings must match your plotter port settings regarding handshake and data bits etc.
    I used the cable I have always used which still requires the use of a 28 pin to 9 pin adapter.
    Just to go back a step, I also ended up taking out the PCIe card and fitting the earlier type PCI card. This also works OK and I can use the Keyspan device with my laptop.

• Alex Pirozek

October 11, 2008 at 8:57 am

Can anybody recommend or are using a suitable adaptor to run a Roland PC60. I’m currently running a parallel lead from my laptop via the inbuilt parallel port to the PC60 with no problems but at some point I will need a laptop which will not have a parallel port. Ideally I want to use a pcmcia or express card/ parallel adaptor.
    Any help would be great.
    Alex.

• Neil Speirs

October 11, 2008 at 11:01 am
    quote Peter Dee:

See it here:

Is the serial end male or female?

Can’t tell from the picture

• Peter Dee

October 13, 2008 at 7:33 am

Male (pins).

• Alex Pirozek

October 13, 2008 at 11:56 am

Managed to find a old usb to parallel Belkin cable from years back and its seems to work fine. No drivers just Std win xp stuff. I’ll just use a usb active repeater cable for the length required and see how i get on.
    Alex.