Activity Feed Forums Vinyl Cutter Discussions Roland Cutters has anyone ever done a PC600 Print Head Change?

• has anyone ever done a PC600 Print Head Change?

Posted by DLG on November 3, 2004 at 9:02 pm

Hi to all you PC600 users.
    Has anyone changed the print head themselves and if so any special tools or cables required.
    Was it fairly easy and any tips please.
    I changed the head twice on my old pnc5000 with no problems so hope the pc600 will be ok

Mike Fear replied 19 years, 8 months ago 6 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Robert Lambie

November 3, 2004 at 9:08 pm

to be honest mate its not that hard… but! i would still recommend getting someone to do it. at least that way you have someone to blame if it goes wrong 😉
    remove the cover and if you have it take some digital pictures and print them off. its dead easy to forget how it looked or where bits go after five minutes of footering about. i cant remember any special tools but alen key set and small electrical screw driver set, ide have handy.

a tip: turn the mains off first 😮 😉

• John Singh

November 3, 2004 at 9:50 pm

Now that’s a darn good tip about taking pictures
    especially with the digital

Half the problem with reassembly is: ” Now which way round did this go?”

Gotta remember that one

John

• Phill Fenton

November 3, 2004 at 10:53 pm

Mechanicaly, changing the print head is very easy. You just note how it all comes apart – then fit the new head on in reverse order. Takes about 1/2 hour if you’ve never done one before.

However.. there are some setup procedures to go through before the new head will works at its best. I recently changed a head myself but discovered the print quality was not as good as before. I contacted an engineer who came out and set up the machine correctly and this made a huge difference to the print quality.

If you’re going to do it yourself, make sure you find out how to set up the new head correctly for best print results and head life 😀

• Robert Lambie

November 3, 2004 at 10:55 pm
    quote rightsigns:

However.. there are some setup procedures to go through before the new head will works at its best. I recently changed a head myself but discovered the print quality was not as good as before. I contacted an engineer who came out and set up the machine correctly and this made a huge difference to the print quality.

yep.. i agree… thats were the biggest problem comes in.

• DLG

November 4, 2004 at 12:03 am

Thanks for comments will try to do it myself.
    Any ideas about current price of new print head from Roland.
    Thanks again

• Robert Lambie

November 4, 2004 at 12:13 am

i cant rememeber the price these days mate. not cheap though couple of hundred i think. but maybe less nowadays.
    if you have 200 old cartridges and you send them back to roland. they will send you a print head free!

• Gordon Forbes

November 4, 2004 at 3:10 am

U gotta download the correct firmware after changing it

• Mike Fear

November 4, 2004 at 8:47 am

Did the head on mine a couple of weeks back, head was about £175 plus VAT and P&P.

Also order the voltage measuring tool ( a couple of pounds ) and get some cleaning strips as well to replace the old ones.

I was lucky as the new head was approx the same voltage as the old one, so I didnt need to bother resetting it ( Roland confirmed there was no reason to ) – only thing to check is that you follow the manuals instructions on getting the new head positioned correctly etc…

Was dead easy, took no time and a lot cheaper than getting the egineer out.