Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers Cutting Issues with SP 540 V

• Cutting Issues with SP 540 V

Posted by Ashley Warsop on March 11, 2019 at 1:48 pm

Hi there,

Roland SP540V

Please could i ask if anybody could assist me, im having issues with my print and cut,
    it seems the on a label print say x40 units across in 1 row, its prints absolutely fine but when it comes to cut, the first one is fine the second is fine but then starts veering off like its spacing is all off by the time it gets to the end it is no were near correct, ill upload a picture for you guys,
    if anybody has any idea why it does this please could you give me a hand as i have already done a print and cut alignment a auto alignment and a env. match but still have the same issue,

Thankyou in advance

Attachments:

Stafford Cox replied 5 years, 3 months ago 5 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Chris Wool

March 11, 2019 at 4:00 pm

presume this is just print then cut straight away.
    probably down to media expansion it would take longer to cut them than print, also notice its out more in the middle which indicates the media dragging under knife pressure. also the cut requires to be rather accurate over to big a area.
    possible cures try first off printing and cutting with more pinch rollers accepting you may loose a couple to roller damage.
    use 2 ft material still with extra rollers for best results.
    print with crop marks but no cut, then do find marks and cut, still with extra rollers.
    the knife has to be spot on to avoid media dragging or bunching.

• Simon Worrall

March 11, 2019 at 6:01 pm

I am afraid the SP540V is famous for inaccurate cutting, and has featured on many such threads here.
    I have one, and after years of trial and error, and many ruined projects, I now have a seperate plotter that can read registration marks and cuts spot on every time.

• Stafford Cox

March 11, 2019 at 10:33 pm

I’d start by replacing the pinch rollers and cutting strip. Both consumable items and user replaceable, then make sure the print and cut alignment is correct.

• Ashley Warsop

March 12, 2019 at 11:36 am

Thanks Guys, ill get some rollers a new blade and cutting strip, ill also try a small width media,

this still happens when i use crop marks,

Thanks again

• Ashley Warsop

March 12, 2019 at 11:42 am

Am i seeing correct ? price is a little high if i need to buy 4

anybody have any ideas where they’d be a little cheaper :yawn:

Attachments:

• Mike Thornley

March 12, 2019 at 5:46 pm

I had a similar problem with my SP540v, doing as you described. We finally found an engineer who know his stuff and it turned out that two bolts the hold the pinch arm lever housing in the machine had over time worked loose, so when we were putting the lever down, we weren’t putting the full amount of pressure on the media, but taking up the slack these two loose bolts had created, so the media was able to move slightly on cut jobs.
    Since doing this our SP has worked great.

• Stafford Cox

March 12, 2019 at 11:47 pm

That’s the whole assembly you’re looking at. You can buy just the rollers for a fraction of the price. There are inner and outer ones, make sure you get them the right way round.