Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Off Topic Chat 00501 – scam calls

• 00501 – scam calls

Posted by David Rogers on July 2, 2013 at 4:59 pm

had them on twice today to my mobile – caller id 00501.

It’s the ‘detected a virus on your PC’ scam bunch.

As always – be vigilant and don’t let your staff give out ANY details (legitimate companies HAVE them!)…including who the person in charge / owner is. They just get better at their spiel every time they collate more & more info…

They usually give up once they know that you’re aware of the scam.

…had the ‘BT bill – gonna cut you off’ bunch on a few weeks back gathering intel…

Colin Crabb replied 11 years ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Robert Walker

July 2, 2013 at 5:21 pm

I got a call today from a 00501 asking me to confirm my direct debit details for my gas supply, he hung up when I told him I don’t have gas at the premesis. Must be trying all the tricks

• Gary Birch

July 2, 2013 at 5:47 pm

I had a call from 00301 yesterday. I just don’t bother answering it

• Denise Goodfellow

July 3, 2013 at 10:05 am

We can laugh at the sillyness of these scams, for most people they are really easy to sort out.

We have a friend who did fall for the visus on the pc trick. Pid 400dollars to sort it out.

My anuty is now dealing with dimensure (sp) and we are very worried that someone like this, can take advantage of her..

• Colin Crabb

July 3, 2013 at 3:25 pm

There a VAT refund email going around at the moment – It looks very good, only give away was the email address was lacking the .gov part.
    Phoned HMRC to check (as it coincided with my VAT return), and the DO NOT send emails like this.