Find answers, ask questions, connect with our community.

Activity Feed Forums Sign Discussion Off Topic Chat Bounced cheques – what are my rights? Reply To: Bounced cheques – what are my rights?

• John Childs

July 19, 2005 at 10:11 am

I think that you are right to be a little concerned.

I am not the best organised person in the world and am sometimes guilty of writing out cheques for more than is in a particular account myself, usually because I forget to transfer the money over from another account. However, my bank knows that I am creditworthy and never bounce it. They pay the cheque then send me a nice letter saying as how they have charged me £25 for the priviliege and that they will charge another £25 on each day that a debit goes out until I am back in credit. That’s how they make their money.

If your customers bank aren’t doing this for him then I suspect that they may have their doubts.

I don’t want to sound pompous, and certainly not racially prejudiced, but experience has taught me that your type of customer and his type of business are the most fraught with danger as far as payment goes and that although I do not usually ask for payment in advance I would most certainly have done so in this case and walked away if they weren’t prepared to give it.

Sit on the doorstep.