Find answers, ask questions, connect with our community.

Activity Feed Forums Sign Discussion Industry News (Archive) Rob Lambie reviews Arlon SLX Cast Vehicle Wrap +FLITE Technology +VIDEO Re: Rob Lambie reviews Arlon SLX Cast Vehicle Wrap +FLITE Technology +VIDEO

• Robert Lambie

August 29, 2019 at 2:52 am

Hi Kev
    The printer used was an HP 360 Latex. ( A newer versions of it is available )
    Years back, when we first switched to Latex printers, it was on an HP 26500 and the types of vinyl we used at the time, none gave a rich vibrant red.
    This became a major headache for me because one of our large customers had this colour requirement in their fleet of part-wrap vans we were about to rebrand.
    So I started trialling different types of wrap vinyl, and the Arlon 6000XRP just hit the colour first time! And as you can see from the Arlon SLX in the video, the colours come out excellent.

Something you sometimes get when wrapping using solid colours is a "colour shift" when stretched.
    The depth of stretch and your method of stretch plays a big part in a shift happening, but if you look close in the video when I stretch into the number plate area of the van.
    There is zero colour shift. By that, I mean lightening or bleaching of the colour due to the stretch. It is a vibrant orange, and there is no change in colour in this deep recess.
    My method of stretching the vinyl into the number plate section is a bit different to the norm for such a deep recess. But the material is very pliable and formed first time nicely.

The SLX appears to have what I can only describe as a dry matt adhesive which significantly reduces the first touch bond you would expect to get from most other types of vinyl, particularly ones that have been printed.
    Usually, I actually prefer a bit of tack as I lay it and snap-it back up working with it as It gives me a little reassurance it is going to stay where I put it. But the SLX is different and can easily be positioned even with a large section like a bonnet or roof when working alone. Again in the video, watch when I apply the bonnet. You will see I stick an area down, go to the opposite side and use it as an anchor point for me to pull against to remove the slack before applying. Many wrap films would not have required me to stick a section, they would have just stuck on contact, and I would have been lifting and laying multiple times to get it right, which can be time-consuming or create kinks and lines in the vinyl as a result.

Like "any" wrapping film on the market, there are best practice procedures that must be followed to get the best performance from the vinyl during your installation, as well as to uphold product warranties.
    What I would advise when using Arlon SLX is to be sure to fit the vinyl at adequate room temperature.
    The reason I say this is…
    Any wrapper should know room temperate, and the surface temperature of the vehicle plays a big part in a successful wrap.
    i.e.
    (1) A warm or hot surface and the vinyl will create a strong instant tack as well as make the vinyl stretchy and unmanageable.
    (2) A cool or cold surface and the not on the vinyl, but the adhesive stiffens up, and the initial tack is significantly reduced, as well as making the film brittle.

Now the Arlon SLX FLITE adhesive is a pretty new adhesive system that has a low initial tack which allows surface slide-ability even in a relatively warm room. However, If the room is cold and the vehicles metal surface is cold. That low initial tack that we benefit from is going to drop much further and could make your installation difficult in recessed areas where an instant strong bond is important. So please keep this in mind, so you experience the vinyl install in the way intended and achieve the required bond.