Find answers, ask questions, connect with our community.

Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions General Sign Topics Speeding up Solvent Cure times Reply To: Speeding up Solvent Cure times

• Robert Lambie

June 10, 2011 at 11:14 pm

These googled scientific theories are all good and well, but which one is based on
    the actual job in hand here?

Have you googled results talking solvent soaked bed sheets on a washing line, paper out of a printer, or solvent ink soaked onto an adhesive backed “vinyl” media, mounted onto silicon faced carrying paper? I doubt it very much! The drying theory may very well be correct, but doesn’t mean it is the best solution given “our” day to day task of drying ink soaked vinyl. Or have I missed that part?
    Porous media like fabrics will allow air to pass thru, vinyl will not.
    Vinyl is not porous as such, and how it is positioned will greatly vary on how it dries/flashes off and acts as a result of the chemical attack. By that I mean…
    It is a far slower process for the chemicals vapours trying to pass thru a vinyl substrates face, adhesive, and then silicon paper. Than it is to fall from its print surface.

There are a great many things to way up, take into account and more, and I doubt very much the quick googled results will give you that.

My reply is based on around 8 years’ experience of a pretty high volume of printed vinyl’s applied to vehicles. Every single one of them laminated! Coupled by personal advice from very reputable sources over the years, of which have far more experience than me. So I will stand my ground on what “I know and have tried and tested myself for many years” Peter, rather than Googling for your answers… 😀

Also, I would have thought it pretty much a no brainer to work out heat and air aid/works in drying solvent prints. Around a foot from spilling out of everyone’s printer gantry, the prints are dry to touch! Look at grand format printers, the spill zone has heaters and fans all along them…
    It’s the 24-48hr hour process of ridding the vinyl of the solvent that’s the task and initial question to this thread…

quote Peter Normington:

having said that I had a rush job a few days ago, printed and laminated 4 hours later with no problems.

Peter, I noticed you mentioned about laminating some hours after printing and you had no adverse effects. I would say that’s a pretty poor advice to give as a professional. As we all know, there is a great many reason why things do and don’t go wrong. I don’t think advice on tempting fate, is the best, sorry…

Oh and peter, these are all my drink induced words mate, google free zone here. 😉 as you say, Friday night after all :lol1: