Find answers, ask questions, connect with our community.

Activity Feed Forums Sign Discussion General Sign Topics VAT increase, your thoughts Reply To: VAT increase, your thoughts

• Phill Fenton

December 31, 2010 at 8:02 pm

Sorry Andy – I should explain what I mean by "wrong kind of customer"

My response was triggered earlier when James asked if he should be advertising the fact he is non VAT registered in the hope that this would generate more enquiries. My response was based on my feeling that this would attract the bottom end of the market (nothing wrong with that but not usually a lucrative way to run a business unless you are dealing in volume sales). Given that sign making is a labour intensive occupation I have always been of the opinion that competing on price alone was not likely to result in a great deal of success. You would end up being very busy all the time whilst making little or no profit.

Quite simply – for me the best customers are those that do not focus on price alone. When the first question I am asked is "how much" my heart normally sinks. I much prefer to deal with customers who will listen to the options and hopefully put forward a budget so that I can respond with a realistic set of solutions to their enquiry.